Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
He was similar the last time he came back from his wrist injury 3 years ago. So yeah I would say it’s a slump.
It's possible it may be due to injury, as I've said. But he's had an entire off-season to recover and has looked exactly like he has since last January from day one of preseason right up to the present.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It's possible it may be due to injury, as I've said. But he's had an entire off-season to recover and has looked exactly like he has since last January from day one of preseason right up to the present.
Like I said, his point pace in Jan was 136 points, Jan was his most productive month like ever.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I honestly can't figure Petey out. He doesn't play like your typical streaky goal scorer. Prior to Green's last couple of months here, Petey did exhibit periods where he wasn't as engaged as he was at his best (where he played like a puck hound) but he was still putting up points so it was overlooked. It was during Green's last few months where we first saw Petey really struggle and where most of us became extremely concerned. And while I believe injuries have played a role in his past struggles, he pretty much instantly turned things around under Boudreau. Then the rationalization came in and there was talk of Petey going back to his old stick flex etc.

I really can't think of a player of Petey's calibre who has gone on these kind of funks absent players who were in long-term and or injury-related decline.

I think Miller is extremely overrated here but the divide isnt really there because I am alone on the other side of the chasm. :D

How so? When Miller first arrived he drove the Lotto Line. Then in 2021-2022 he move to C full time and has put up 99, 82, and 103 point seasons. Along the way and prior to last year for about a couple of seasons he was heavily criticized here for his defensive play and effort, leadership, and "body language." There were also genuine discussions over whether to trade Miller or Horvat.

Meanwhile, I don't recall meaningful conversation about whether Miller is or could be in the same class as McDavid, Matthews, or [insert genuine Art Ross/Hart contender) because we (collectively) didn't think that. So given the expecations and regardless of his defensive play, he has produced well for a 1C. He also genuinely had a fantastic season last year on his way to a 37 goal 103 point season for one of the better regular season teams in the league.

So if we (collecitvely) aren't saying Miller should be in the conversation for being the best player in the league, how are we "extremely overrat[ing]" Miller here? For reference, Miller's 99 point and 103 point seasons were good enough for 9th in league scoring those years.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
, he pretty much instantly turned things around under Boudreau. Then the rationalization came in and there was talk of Petey going back to his old stick flex etc.

That is actually not true, Benning and Green were fired in Dec and I think it took Petey until mid Jan to get back to his old self.

Yeah looking at the data, he didn’t get back to his old form until Feb that year and I think the common thing from looking at just stats is his shot rate. The shot rate during the loss of form months are like half of his shot rate when he is producing.

Last edited:

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
I think Miller is extremely overrated here but the divide isnt really there because I am alone on the other side of the chasm. :D
Bizarre statement, really. I am curious why you think he's overrated ? 8mil cap hit
Players like him and Tkachuk are very rare in this league, style wise there are many, but none are bona fide 1st liners.

Get real, 8 million ? If he goes down we go down

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That is actually not true, Benning and Green were fired in Dec and I think it took Petey until mid Jan to get back to his old self.

Yeah looking at the data, he didn’t get back to his old form until Feb that year and I think the common thing from looking at just stats is his shot rate. The shot rate during the loss of form months are like half of his shot rate when he is producing.

We might be arguing over semantics here. In January he had 5 goals 7 points in 12 games. I also recall him noticeably being better even if he didn't end up on the score sheet.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
We might be arguing over semantics here. In January he had 5 goals 7 points in 12 games. I also recall him noticeably being better even if he didn't end up on the score sheet.

Yeah 7 points in a month is low for him, his points went back up to 14 in Feb and then 11 and 19.
He could’ve been better without scoring, don’t remember. But I do remember BB being asked about it and it was not instant considering BB came in Dec and it wasn’t like Green gone and Petey showed up the game after or a several games after.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I have no doubts that at some point Pettersson with check back in and decide to compete again.

The question is how much time will be wasted before that happens.

And you don’t get a free pass for checking out for half a season.

The injury stuff is just lame excuses. Star players play hurt all the time and still find ways to show up and give acceptable performances. You’re an $11.6 million player. Suck it up and compete. Move your f***ing feet.
I hate these kind of posts from you.

You are usually the voice of reason but then you decide to post somethibg batshit crazy.

Bizarre statement, really. I am curious why you think he's overrated ? 8mil cap hit
Players like him and Tkachuk are very rare in this league, style wise there are many, but none are bona fide 1st liners.

Get real, 8 million ? If he goes down we go down
He is emotionally a child and his 5on5 impact is highly overrated.

He has been worth his cap hit easily. But he is seen as this leader here that I doubt he really is capable of being.

Last edited:

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021

He has been worth his cap hit easily. But he is seen as this leader here that I doubt he really is capable of being.
I still don’t quite get it, but I’ll just have to respect your view on it and kindly disagree. And I’ll just leave it at that

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
EP 40 - Zero ESG in almost half a season = He's stoic. He's injured. He's European.

JT = One of the most consistent drivers we've ever had on our team. = He's a child.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
What a weird hill to die on. I actually like EP40 and know he will break out at some point but ripping Miller as a method of defending Pettersson is just embarrassing right now. The numbers are facts and there is nothing by the eye test that makes those numbers less terrible than they are for a 11m player

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Hope Petey can regain his form seems like a mental block/confidence thing. When hes on, his decision making is quick and decisive. Notice his almost fright/phobia of shooting the puck. I know they always preach that if you're not scoring you can affect the game in other ways but he shouldn't be throwing the body makes me wince everytime he hurls himself at people. Looks like hes hurting himself more than the opposing player. He will rebound the skill is still clearly there. My Canuck fan paranoia is telling me hes trying to force a trade lol

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

If you compare the same game samples, Petterson put up 3-9-12 in ES and 7-16-23 including PP. Like I said, it’s not where you want it to be but at the same time not the dramatic as you guys want it to be which is JuSt OnE GoAl OMG CaN YoU BeLiEvE It?

Uh, it is still just as dramatic given it was a response to someone making a throwaway comment that Miller likely hadn’t done much better over the same period at ES.

Reactions: Vector and Hodgy

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Uh, it is still just as dramatic given it was a response to someone making a throwaway comment that Miller likely hadn’t done much better over the same period at ES.
Ya, @arttk basically is pointing out a minor measuring inconsistency with the size of the turds and it’s really irrelevant.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Ya, @arttk basically is pointing out a minor measuring inconsistency with the size of the turds and it’s really irrelevant.
Well my point is that the sampling is done to make it more dramatic. I don’t disagree that it is concerning but I don’t see the point of making things more dramatic.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Well my point is that the sampling is done to make it more dramatic. I don’t disagree that it is concerning but I don’t see the point of making things more dramatic.
My point is that you are quibbling over the size of a turd when in fact the concern is that we are measuring a turd.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I hate these kind of posts from you.

You are usually the voice of reason but then you decide to post somethibg batshit crazy.
What is “batshit crazy” about that post? Do you not agree that at some point Pettersson is likely to return to his past form? Or do you actually think that Pettersson is performing to his abilities and is just “unlucky”?

Now THIS is a batshit crazy take if there is one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad