Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
" I'm not even talking about the points here, to be clear. I'm talking about how he plays. I've never seen a superstar player instill so little confidence. He doesn't push the play, he falls down on his ass all the time, his intensity is at pretty much nill throughout every game (again, including the playoffs). He doesn't impose himself on the game in any way shape or form."

This is from a post right before yours, doesn't sound like the description of someone who is a top-25 producing forward since entering the league, but yea maybe ECHL is an over-exaggeration. I did recently hear Evan Rodrigues used as a comparable to how Pettersson looks.. (a guy with 43 points as a career-high). The people defending Pettersson are not using extreme hyperbole or exaggerations to defend him like the other side is.

I'll give an example, I have seen multiple people spreading the lie that Pettersson got his money and then started playing bad. Anyone who remembers how last season went knows that Pettersson was slumping for 15-20 games prior to signing any contract, and in fact the fanbase basically bullied him to the negotiation table in the first place. So ask yourself why people would make things up that obviously are aimed to make Pettersson look worse? It's because they have an agenda, it's that simple. Donnie and Dahli literally said this lie on the first podcast of the season and the fanbase just takes it and runs with it.
Not interested in a passive aggressive conversation about others. None of this i said and the 25pt ECHL comment was what i addressed which you admit is an exaggeration.

"fanbase bullied him to the negotiation table"....cmon man. You are trying to take issue with other inaccuracies and then splattering a bunch of you own. Do better

Reactions: kanucks25

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It's by now obviously not the case, but I still think this looks like a player playing through some kind of back or abdominal injury (I no longer think that's the case, but it still looks like it for the sake of description) more than a player who is just going through the motions and doesn't feel like it. He tries to throw his body around, tries to fight for pucks, tries to get to the spots but for whatever reason there's just nothing there - no strength, no power whatsoever generated in anything he does. It's really very bizarre, and whatever it is that is going on, just saying "oh he's not trying enough because he's somehow deficient as a person" is IMO obviously overly simplistic at this point. I mean like, even ignoring the media, if he was truly just mailing it in and didn't care over this long a period Miller would have probably decapitated him mid-game by now.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I've thought this going back to the early going last season when he was still putting up heaps of points. He just generates so little power or rigidity in anything he does anymore and it's really just kind of strange, and has basically just progressively gotten worse. Like obviously dude wasn't capable of playing brute force hockey before, but now it's just like there's nothing there at all.

Last edited:

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Not interested in a passive aggressive conversation about others. None of this i said and the 25pt ECHL comment was what i addressed which you admit is an exaggeration.

"fanbase bullied him to the negotiation table"....cmon man. You are trying to take issue with other inaccuracies and then splattering a bunch of you own. Do better

I am not sure what you are talking about? Pettersson said clearly at the beginning of last season that he intended to negotiate at the end of the year. Then about halfway through the season the media started losing their minds that Pettersson had yet to sign and made a big circus out of it, do you not recall that happening? Because that is exactly what happened.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I am not sure what you are talking about? Pettersson said clearly at the beginning of last season that he intended to negotiate at the end of the year. Then about halfway through the season the media started losing their minds that Pettersson had yet to sign and made a big circus out of it, do you not recall that happening? Because that is exactly what happened.
Yes sure but the team wanted cost certainty and had been pushing to get it done for almost a year. It always starts with your biggest and most important contracts/players. Management had EP Hronek Lindholm Joshua Zadorov decisions going into an off season. That's a frightening list without getting their biggest name sorted

Had very little to do with "fans" that you said. It's when they pushed his agent and EP whether he wanted to actually be a part of the Canucks going forward and were serious about getting in front of it with a fall back option in Lindholm they decided to sit down and get it done.

The media angle was and has been used to remind these guys that this group is more than willing to make tough decisions not just bend over and take it like JB would have. It's an important distinction.

Reactions: andora

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Shouldn't an 11m+ player make those around him better?
Mikheyev 13g 15a 28pts in 46 games, well on his way to a career year before going down. Last year he had 1 goal in 60 games. What’s Petey supposed to do, waddle him around and physically make him score?

Beauvillier had 20 points in 33 games. In a full season that’s a 50-55 point pace which would have been a career season.

42 of Kuzmenko’s 74 points were from Pettersson including Kuzmenko’s 6 of his 11 assists being secondary to Pettersson’s goals. 23 of his 39 goals were a direct result of Pettersson. Pettersson had a whopping 56.7% contribution to Kuzmenko’s point totals. Add another 17 points Kuzmenko received while Pettersson was simply on the ice.

Last year, Pettersson contributed to 10 of Hoglander’s point totals, including 6 of his 24 goals and that’s with a combined TOI of just 378 minutes. Hoglsnder averaged 12:06 minutes a game….

Mikheyev was downright terrible. Kuzmenko got yeeted off the team due him being a liability. How can anyone blame Pettersson for his own linemates shortcomings? He’s given multiple players career seasons.

It’s actually hilarious. They even put Pederson and Studnicka beside Pettersson for a couple of games. You’re telling me Pettersson should be able to turn AHL trash into top 6 scorers now too?

Lafferty, Mikheyev, Beauvillier, Kuzmenko, Pederson, Studnicka, Podkolzin, Hoglander. 4 of those players had a significant to major bump in production playing alongside Pettersson. The rest are AHL fodder trash.

Such nonsense.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
petey needs to see a shrink seriously hes getting paid 11.6mill a year to produce. stop using the linemates excuse. other teams star players have had it worst. when petey goes the team goes with him. but when he doesnt, its the other lines that pick up the slack. example miller boeser garland, joshua.
Which other teams star players have it worse?

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
petey needs to see a shrink seriously hes getting paid 11.6mill a year to produce. stop using the linemates excuse. other teams star players have had it worst. when petey goes the team goes with him. but when he doesnt, its the other lines that pick up the slack. example miller boeser garland, joshua.
Show me an example

Kaprizov has JEE/Zuc
Pastrnak had Bergeron/Marchand and now Lindholm
Mackinnon has had Lehkonene/Nichuskin/Rantanen/Landeskog
Matthews has Marner or Nylander
McDrai
Barkov and Tkachuk
Hughes and Bratt and Meier
Getzlaf had Perry
Thornton had Marleau
Miller has Boeser
Kucherov has Point and had Stamkos and now has Guentzel
Aho has Svechnikov, Teravainen
Sedins had each other
Huberdeau had Barkov

What has Pettersson had? He’s been carrying his trash linemates all of his career, and when he’s in a slump, he doesn’t have anyone that can help him out and take some of the burden off him.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Seems a bit harsh. Everyone has an error in judgement from time to time

It's not meant to be a personal attack; it's just hard to take anything someone says seriously when they just add their own hyperbolic anecdotes into the argument.

It's as if I claimed Pettersson's knee injury is completely fake and therefore cannot be used as an excuse.

Reactions: Coffees

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Frankly this kind of nonsense pretty much removes all credibility from your posts/points.

I just accurately remember the narratives around that time. Which part are you taking exception too? Was it not bullying when the fans and media were all calling him a diva for not signing, selfish, when he had said in the preseason that he planned to wait? Pettersson referenced the fan noise in his press conference after signing...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The excuses people make for this diva not competing for like 30% of his NHL career are such a weird juxtaposition against the ABSOLUTE RAGE the exact same people had toward JT Miller for 20 games where he checked out defensively (but was still really productive) and it’s absolutely fascinating.

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
The excuses people make for this diva not competing for like 30% of his NHL career are such a weird juxtaposition against the ABSOLUTE RAGE the exact same people had toward JT Miller for 20 games where he checked out defensively (but was still really productive) and it’s absolutely fascinating.
Hey! You don't really mean that do you !?

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
No sign of @Ace of Hades in this thread recently.

Respect to him for defending Pettersson on the main boards, but can't be bothered to shine some light on the civil war going on in his own home boards.

Hades doesn't owe us anything, but a couple of sentences to maybe settle things down seems appropriate to me.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
" I'm not even talking about the points here, to be clear. I'm talking about how he plays. I've never seen a superstar player instill so little confidence. He doesn't push the play, he falls down on his ass all the time, his intensity is at pretty much nill throughout every game (again, including the playoffs). He doesn't impose himself on the game in any way shape or form."

This is from a post right before yours, doesn't sound like the description of someone who is a top-25 producing forward since entering the league, but yea maybe ECHL is an over-exaggeration. I did recently hear Evan Rodrigues used as a comparable to how Pettersson looks.. (a guy with 43 points as a career-high). The people defending Pettersson are not using extreme hyperbole or exaggerations to defend him like the other side is.

I'll give an example, I have seen multiple people spreading the lie that Pettersson got his money and then started playing bad. Anyone who remembers how last season went knows that Pettersson was slumping for 15-20 games prior to signing any contract, and in fact the fanbase basically bullied him to the negotiation table in the first place. So ask yourself why people would make things up that obviously are aimed to make Pettersson look worse? It's because they have an agenda, it's that simple. Donnie and Dahli literally said this lie on the first podcast of the season and the fanbase just takes it and runs with it.

You are in crazy denial for an 11.6M player. Don't know how you can watch Pettersson his last 50 or so games and not be concerned.

He isn't getting leash because he is supposed to be the guy towing the car.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
No sign of @Ace of Hades in this thread recently.

Respect to him for defending Pettersson on the main boards, but can't be bothered to shine some light on the civil war going on in his own home boards.

Hades doesn't owe us anything, but a couple of sentences to maybe settle things down seems appropriate to me.

I dont think I have really defended EP that much to begin with unless the statement against him is incredibly idiotic where I have to step in (suggestions of trading him right now is also idiotic). Regardless everyone has their own views of this player. You either accept it, engage or move on.

Hopefully EP can turn it around and become the player we know he's capable of being. He's been a disappointment for the past 50 games or so.

Reactions: DFAC and Coffees

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Show me an example

Kaprizov has JEE/Zuc
Pastrnak had Bergeron/Marchand and now Lindholm
Mackinnon has had Lehkonene/Nichuskin/Rantanen/Landeskog
Matthews has Marner or Nylander
McDrai
Barkov and Tkachuk
Hughes and Bratt and Meier
Getzlaf had Perry
Thornton had Marleau
Miller has Boeser
Kucherov has Point and had Stamkos and now has Guentzel
Aho has Svechnikov, Teravainen
Sedins had each other
Huberdeau had Barkov

What has Pettersson had? He’s been carrying his trash linemates all of his career, and when he’s in a slump, he doesn’t have anyone that can help him out and take some of the burden off him.

Petey was also reunited with JT and Brock last year and didn't look any better?

One could also argue Petey plays on a loaded PP with JT, Brock and Hughes - and still looks bad out there mishandling the puck and giving it away.

I would accept your point if Petey was setting up his linemates and they were just not putting the puck in the back of the net, which is not what's happening at all. He hasn't looked right for the last ~40 games or so. Looks disinterested

The excuses for Petey are simply astounding - people do really like to live in denial around here

Last edited:
Reactions: Nuckles

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Well…for a little bit. The Lotto line became pretty unplayable surprisingly fast. Didn’t even last the entire road trip. It really only works with a man advantage.

True.

I have a shit memory (too many concussions) but I do remember there being an aha moment where it was "so that's what it looks like when he plays with great linemates."

Reactions: Coffees

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Well…for a little bit. The Lotto line became pretty unplayable surprisingly fast. Didn’t even last the entire road trip. It really only works with a man advantage.
Didn't they also try the lotto line briefly in the playoffs and it didn't work?

Reactions: DFAC

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
True.

I have a shit memory (too many concussions) but I do remember there being an aha moment where it was "so that's what it looks like when he plays with great linemates."

It was basically that magical run through New York but were getting split up mid-game because too many mistakes. Definitely looked amazing for brief period of time.

Didn't they also try the lotto line briefly in the playoffs and it didn't work?

Yup. Also tried it during Pettersson’s slumps for a few shifts of games and it never resulted in anything.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Pettersson has the best linemates on the PP and we still bitch about that. The 649 line should be used a lot more 5v5 though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad