Dreger: Elias Lindholm will get 8M+ per year through free agency

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s a 55-65 point player, who can play different roles at a high level.

I’d absolutely give him $8 million per for 3 years, $7.5 for 4, $7 for 5, etc, etc.

Just can’t give him the term he’s gonna be looking for over $7.5…

Maybe just maybe, the situation means enough to him, that the money doesn’t mean “as much.” Would he sign a 6 x $6.25 somewhere he wants to be? Carolina, Boston, Nashville, maybe Detroit with all those Swedes they’re gonna have. How about Anaheim?

I don’t think he’s staying in Vancouver, unless the interest is much lower than expected, and he settles for a short term deal.

I wouldn’t rule out Calgary. How about Winnipeg though? That would be a great fit.

With the 3, 4, 5 difference making type Cs who are gonna hit the market, they all have some sort of baggage where they’re not gonna find crazy money on the table. For example, if you can get Chandler Stephenson for $6 x 4, over Lindholm at $8 x 5, you’d probably go with Stephenson. Boston doesn’t need to sign Lindholm and Stamkos. They get the desired effect of what they need signing Monahan and Henrique.

Just don’t think there’s going to be teams lining up to go big on some guys. Maybe Columbus, maybe Utah.

The dynamics of this July 1 is more overall fit type situations. Vegas with Patrick Kane for example, but is he smarter staying in DET? Stamkos with Dallas or Detroit. Monahan is going to have several suitors but all for about the same money. Do Kane and Stamkos take less individually to both sign in DET for 3 years?

Teams aren’t going to go bidding on the Cs or the Dmen in this year’s market. A Matt Roy, Pesce or Skjei, are gonna have teams telling them “hey, we have a slot for 4 years at $5.5”let’s say. First one to say yes, gets the spot type of thing.

Hearing July 1 really is gonna be way more about fit with several players, than just pure cash.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No matter what you say to justify you're argument I its doesn't make up for the fact he is on the decline, saying I don't understand hockey is just not true, I understand very well that certain teams will always over pay a player based on past performance rather than what the actual player is now. You can post analytics, talk about hard minutes all you like, it still wont change the fact that any team who pays Lindholm 8 million will regret it.
Do you genuinely not see how the lack of a shutdown line perpetuates the Senators inability to improve? I mean Lindholm has outproduced Brady on average since he came to Calgary. He's light years better defensively. Is Brady not worth 8? Lindholm is a more impactful player on winning.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This is going to be Kadri 2.0. But he'll likely end up on a bad team and not produce which also turns into one of the worst contracts in the NHL.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
As a B's fan, I'm extremely worried that Sweeney will overpay on free agents (other than homegrown guys like Sway and Debrusk) with the money he'll have available. There is no world in which Lindholm - as he's presented himself over the past two seasons - is worth $6 let alone $8 million.

Reactions: rsteen

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As a B's fan, I'm extremely worried that Sweeney will overpay on free agents (other than homegrown guys like Sway and Debrusk) with the money he'll have available. There is no world in which Lindholm - as he's presented himself over the past two seasons - is worth $6 let alone $8 million.
The pattern seems to be that the Bruins get the player they want and for less dollars and term.

They must have some under the table cash or something

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
A team like the Blue Jackets who desperately need centers might do it. Gaudreau is drowning on his own.

Lindholm is 29/30 next year (Dec birthdate). 7 years would be 29-35 and that overlaps the $92M+ cap in as early as 2 seasons. With a $92-$100M cap range (next 7 years), what is the new rate for a top 2C? GM's are going to take fits with what agents push for on long term deals to come.

What I would tell Lindholm's agent is the 1st 4 years we will pay top 2C rate. But the last 3 years will be 3C rate (age 33-35).

5x $7M seems like a good AAV/term IMO. Lets face it, Lindholm made his name when the Flames were contenders and had Tkachuk and Gaudreau on the roster.
Agreed if there one thing the BJ's need it's another terrible contract.

• Haha
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Do the math.

Just an Example:

Lindholm for 8 years X 7.25M per year equals 60M total.

Any other team in the league would have to offer 7 years X 8.3M to offer 60M.

Canucks have a great advantage as long as they "Use the Schwartz" of the Magical 8 year contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Pettersson

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Would love him centering the 2nd line in WPG, but not for 8m per..7x7 I’d be happy with

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
8m per season is going to be like 6m a season in a year or two.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Paying Lindholm 8m prevents you from signing a 1st line center and contending for a Cup. In other words, Don Sweeney is already preparing the framework of the contract.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Do you genuinely not see how the lack of a shutdown line perpetuates the Senators inability to improve? I mean Lindholm has outproduced Brady on average since he came to Calgary. He's light years better defensively. Is Brady not worth 8? Lindholm is a more impactful player on winning.
How is a 3rd line center more impactful than a 1st line winger? LOL

And you don't pay 3rd line centers 8 million a year that's insaninty

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
How is a 3rd line center more impactful than a 1st line winger? LOL

And you don't pay 3rd line centers 8 million a year that's insaninty
He'd be Ottawa's best center. Do you really think you guys don't have a top 6 center? Guy has score 40 goals, been PPG, +64 in a single season and wins 58% of his faceoffs while being an elite PKer. Ottawa has a young cherry picker and a guy who can't stay healthy. Not a big mystery why they have been a bottom feeder and irrelevant for almost a decade.

Reactions: Voight

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
In his radio hit, Allvin says Lindholm wants to resign with the Canucks

It would be a three headed monster, creating a matchup nightmare if Pettersson regains his game and they have Pettersson, Miller and Lindholm down the middle.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Enjoy that contact for whoever decides to pay it. I'll take Nuge at 5 mil over that contract any day. Lindholm's defensive game is overrated (its average) and he can't drive his own line much like Nuge. Paying 8M for that is rough for a complementary 2nd line player.

Reactions: JarvisFunk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad