Dreger: Elias Lindholm will get 8M+ per year through free agency

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
No thanks. Pretty good playoffs, was never worth what the Flames were offering. They certainly dodged a $72M bullet. What is he worth? Certainly a $6.25-7M x 7 is the market for a good 2nd line C.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
One thing is for sure, his playoff performance saved his bacon. He'll probably get overpaid and will only have left around 10M+ on the table instead of 40M+.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With 10 HC changes during the season, I'm sure some GMs are pressed to bolster their club this upcoming season. 5 plus years down the line be damned.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Flawed logic.

Canucks hold the hammer of being able to offer an 8 year contract and could easily match most if not all competitors in total contract value.

Except they lose that ability once he hits free agency. They’ve either got to lock him up to an 8 year deal early, or they’re stuck bidding with a 7 year deal like everyone else

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I wouldn't want Ducks offering more than 5 x 5M. He just isn't a guy that creates offense himself.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
What team would offer that amount of money???

I can only see him getting around $8M if it was a 1-2 year show-me deal, but not a 5+ years. That would be one that gets a GM fired within a year if Lindholm delivers another sub-par season.

I wouldn't want Ducks offering more than 5 x 5M. He just isn't a guy that creates offense himself.
Not even that... a 1-year Klingberg special so we trade him when we tank again....

Bond

May 10, 2012
Allegedly, Friedman said "he thinks" once and everyone ran with it, but only 9m avg and not 8 years iirc.
Friedman said that he is what he thought it would take the Flames to re-sign Lindholm. I think Seravelli came out after Lindholm was dealt and said the Flames max offer was the Schiefele deal

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

I can only see him getting around $8M if it was a 1-2 year show-me deal, but not a 5+ years. That would be one that gets a GM fired within a year if Lindholm delivers another sub-par season.

Not even that... a 1-year Klingberg special so we trade him when we tank again....
Eh, $5M for a 2-3C isn't that much. Also adds a veteran that our younger guys can learn from. He is a good defensive forward after all.

Bond

May 10, 2012

8r7ed2.jpg

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
7M for 1 year might make sense if he can get in the right situation to build his value but on term you really gotta keep the AAV smart.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I wonder if the Canucks could lock him down at a $7M hit long term before free agency. It’s steep but with the rising cap it’s not as bad as some are thinking. Good centre depth if it works.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
If I am vancouver I am offering him a contract over 7-8 years between $6.6 and $7.25 million.

If he has no interest and wants to chase that $ I am trying to trade his rights for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

The truth is, hes closer to a 2b centre than a 2a and 5-6 good games in the playoffs don't detract from his issues over 2+ seasons in the regular season.

Someone will offer him what he's asking for and all the power to them but Vancouver should be smart about their small amount of cap space

Aug 3, 2021

This is a bold prediction considering the league has a freshly relocated club that probably wants to make a splash. That's without even getting into other teams that may want his services.

I think he'll definitely get some long term offers.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
If Lindholm wants something like 7m x 5 years then sure, but I'm not offering a penny more than that, and the term needs to be reasonable as well. Lindholm had a good playoffs, but he was pretty abysmal before that. He's a risky signing, even at 7x5, in my opinion.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
A team like the Blue Jackets who desperately need centers might do it. Gaudreau is drowning on his own.

Lindholm is 29/30 next year (Dec birthdate). 7 years would be 29-35 and that overlaps the $92M+ cap in as early as 2 seasons. With a $92-$100M cap range (next 7 years), what is the new rate for a top 2C? GM's are going to take fits with what agents push for on long term deals to come.

What I would tell Lindholm's agent is the 1st 4 years we will pay top 2C rate. But the last 3 years will be 3C rate (age 33-35).

5x $7M seems like a good AAV/term IMO. Lets face it, Lindholm made his name when the Flames were contenders and had Tkachuk and Gaudreau on the roster.
We aren't that desperate, he's not good enough to make enough of an impact to be worth that contract. With Fantilli and the possibility of adding another top C in the draft combined with all the kids we have in the lineup who are showing they could be ready for more, it would be dumb to overpay for him and ruin the salary cap the we will desperately need in a few seasons. Columbus' best bet it to be patient and wait for the kids to be ready or have the cap to flexibility and assets to make a major to fill that hole. Filling that gap in FA is asking for trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad