Proposal: Eichel to Rangers

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Starting to wonder if the NYR really need him at this point....Their forwards dont seem to be an issue,maybe they look at the defense now??

They have 4 decent to great defenseman on the roster. Plus Jones (well he's in the NHL now but you get the point), Lundkvist, Schneider, Robertson in the pipeline.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They have 4 decent to great defenseman on the roster. Plus Jones (well he's in the NHL now but you get the point), Lundkvist, Schneider, Robertson in the pipeline.
Yeah I was just thinking if Eichel is really worth the add ???NY has obviously good/great prospects in every area...With some stud vets to bring them along...If you guys can get him for something that makes sense,but I think Buffalo will want too much

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I liked this post specifically for this.

If trading for Eichel means that I have to deal with Doink The Clown furthermore, I’m more than ok with hoping that Barkov hits free agency or drafting Aatu Raty and hoping he becomes the 2C of the future.
This is what I would probably do as well. I think I like Svechkov better than Raty though

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Yeah I was just thinking if Eichel is really worth the add ???NY has obviously good/great prospects in every area...With some stud vets to bring them along...If you guys can get him for something that makes sense,but I think Buffalo will want too much

Don't think so. I'm fine with Zibby + Strome for next year and then Zibby + Chytil after that. We probably add a C to the pipeline. I'd honestly rather target Reinhart in a trade than Eichel. I get the feeling he will be injury prone.

Reactions: topshelf15

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
This is what I would probably do as well. I think I like Svechkov better than Raty though

I just think Raty will be available in the range they’ll end up picking in and they’ve drafted a fair share of Finn’s recently. I’d imagine they’d have to be somewhat familiar with Raty having seen him a bit while scouting Kakko. I could be wrong there, just my gut feeling.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1615315641484.jpg

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
LOL. I want the drugs this guy is on.
seriously, an injured Eichel right now after the season he was having while healthy doesnt net you a 23 year old defenseman on the cusp of winning the Norris. Buffalo adds and takes salary back in an Eichel for ELC Fox trade

And I'm a big Eichel fan. His salary just doesnt work with the rangers. It has to be around Zibanejad or Trouba if its going to happen. I wouldnt go for that as the Sabres and I dont think the Rangers pay the premium to have Buffalo retain salary long term

Reactions: One Winged Angel

member 329811

seriously, an injured Eichel right now after the season he was having while healthy doesnt net you a 23 year old defenseman on the cusp of winning the Norris. Buffalo adds and takes salary back in an Eichel for ELC Fox trade

And I'm a big Eichel fan. His salary just doesnt work with the rangers. It has to be around Zibanejad or Trouba if its going to happen. I wouldnt go for that as the Sabres and I dont think the Rangers pay the premium to have Buffalo retain salary long term

You realize he was injured before the season started? No one knows if the neck is related or a separate incident.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I wouldn't do it either but that's what it would take Eichel is Elite

Yea maybe. I don't want him either way. It would be so Glen Sather Rangers to not stay the course and go for the shiny toy. I kind of hope he goes to LA without getting Byfield or Turcotte back.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Yea maybe. I don't want him either way. It would be so Glen Sather Rangers to not stay the course and go for the shiny toy. I kind of hope he goes to LA without getting Byfield or Turcotte back.
Keep dreaming.Buffalo is not trading Eichel for prospects.I don't care if they are blue chip or not they have done NOTHING at the NHL level.Every team LOVES their projects but most don't live up to hype.Eichel is 24 signed long term.He will be healthy come training camp Buffalo isn't moving him.Ny fans don't want him thats great Buffalo fans don't want prospects,we have enough of our own.Close thread ,this has been discussed ad nausam

Kaapo Bustfreniere

Jun 21, 2019
I'm sure this has been had before but doesn't appear anywhere recently.

To Rangers

Eichel

To Sabres

Strome
Georgiev
Kakko
1st

Sabres get a big haul for their no. 1 guy. Addressing issues in goal and replacing Eichel down the middle with Strome. Plus they add a blue chip prospect and a pick.

It may not even require the 1st though its hard to say. Where do you think the value is in this trade?

seriously?

NYR would trade both in a package, happily.

Eichel in a vacuum would undoubtedly be worth a hefty return. BUT...

But Rangers are losing Zibanejad if Eichel comes. So what we really are talking about is what an acceptable price for Zibanejad to Eichel upgrade would be. Possibly not even an upgrade. Eichel has had only 2 seasons producing at PPG+ pace and Zibanejad has been outproducing him for 2 years now (if we exlude the 15 game covid slump at the beginning of this season). Not to mention his elite defensive game, including PK.

So possibly we are not even talking about the price for an upgrade, but rather about the price for extra prime years of an elite 1C. And since Eichel might be even more injury-prone than Mika, how many years would that be? Likely not many. And the price I would be willing to pay for that is rather low. I would be hesitant to attach even a single 1st round draft pick to Zibanejad to acquire Eichel.

There is no chance Zibanejad is included in the trade (unless a three-way trade happens) as he is never signing an extension in Buffalo. Which leaves us with that 1st round pick.

And that would be a beyond laughable offer. But not any more laughable than giving up Kakko and/or Lafreniere + tons of additional assets only to go from Zibanejad to Eichel.

And that is why it is ridiculous to consider an Eichel trade to Rangers in the first place. At least under current circumstances, Rangers can only lose this trade, no matter what.

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't know why we keep doing the end-around in this thread when it's perfectly clear that NYR aren't willing to offer Buffalo what they think Eichel is worth. The Rangers have too many untouchables, and Buffalo doesn't appear in a hurry to move him for less than market value.

So, some other team is likely to be the suitor. NYR are set where talent is concerned. Trading a bunch of potential ELC contributors and young guys for a 10 million dollar cap hit would be counterproductive.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I don't know why we keep doing the end-around in this thread when it's perfectly clear that NYR aren't willing to offer Buffalo what they think Eichel is worth. The Rangers have too many untouchables, and Buffalo doesn't appear in a hurry to move him for less than market value.

So, some other team is likely to be the suitor. NYR are set where talent is concerned. Trading a bunch of potential ELC contributors and young guys for a 10 million dollar cap hit would be counterproductive.

Let’s make a distinction between fans and the actual organization

I highly doubt that any NHL team would have, say, Kappo Kakko as an untouchable in an Eichel trade.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I highly doubt that any NHL team would have, say, Kappo Kakko as an untouchable in an Eichel trade.
I think it’s the other way around to be honest. If anything teams are probably more attached to their draft picks than the fans are.

Reactions: pld459666

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Any bite on this?

Meier
Merkley
Robins
2021 1st
2022 2nd

Basically three firsts in Meier/Merkley/1st and two seconds Robins/2nd

Meier is a non starter w that poison pill contract ( 10 mil QO). He wouldn't be the main pull in an Eichel trade.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012

A resident poster on HFNYR who is known to have connections with the Rangers front office has confirmed that Kakko is considered untouchable by Rangers brass.

Raian

Apr 19, 2021
Why is this discussion still going if its been established the Rangers wont part with either of Kaapo or Alexis and Buffalo obviously just wont deal with them then

In no sensible world would a deal happen with those two off the board. If it were then Buffalo would have such an angry fan base and locker room that its set then back years IMO

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Eichel in a vacuum would undoubtedly be worth a hefty return. BUT...

But Rangers are losing Zibanejad if Eichel comes. So what we really are talking about is what an acceptable price for Zibanejad to Eichel upgrade would be. Possibly not even an upgrade. Eichel has had only 2 seasons producing at PPG+ pace and Zibanejad has been outproducing him for 2 years now (if we exlude the 15 game covid slump at the beginning of this season). Not to mention his elite defensive game, including PK.

So possibly we are not even talking about the price for an upgrade, but rather about the price for extra prime years of an elite 1C. And since Eichel might be even more injury-prone than Mika, how many years would that be? Likely not many. And the price I would be willing to pay for that is rather low. I would be hesitant to attach even a single 1st round draft pick to Zibanejad to acquire Eichel.

There is no chance Zibanejad is included in the trade (unless a three-way trade happens) as he is never signing an extension in Buffalo. Which leaves us with that 1st round pick.

And that would be a beyond laughable offer. But not any more laughable than giving up Kakko and/or Lafreniere + tons of additional assets only to go from Zibanejad to Eichel.

And that is why it is ridiculous to consider an Eichel trade to Rangers in the first place. At least under current circumstances, Rangers can only lose this trade, no matter what.
Oh yeah. Let's exclude COVID slump. Let's also count only the games, where Eichel went scoreless. Slice and dice the sample size to make it fit your narrative. :thumbu:

Reactions: is the answer jesus

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
A resident poster on HFNYR who is known to have connections with the Rangers front office has confirmed that Kakko is considered untouchable by Rangers brass.

Cozens is untouchable for Buffalo, but if you told me I can trade him for Mitch Marner, then all of a sudden he’s not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad