Player Discussion: Ehlers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ekotyluk

Feb 2, 2024
Ehlers has 4 goals and 10 assists for 14 points and is a -9 , he has been horrible in the playoffs and i like Ehlers so I'm not picking on him.Scheifele has 21 goals 17 assists for 38 points and is a -2 . Ehlers has played 37 games and Scheifele 42 . Ehlers most definitely deserves criticism.
Never said Ehlers doesn't deserve criticism, but he's surely not the only one. The whole team got schooled by the Avs and Helle looked like a bantam goalie out there. The only guy who picked up his game for the playoffs was KC. My point is there is so much complaining about Ehlers and everyone else gets a free pass.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Never said Ehlers doesn't deserve criticism, but he's surely not the only one. The whole team got schooled by the Avs and Helle looked like a bantam goalie out there. The only guy who picked up his game for the playoffs was KC. My point is there is so much complaining about Ehlers and everyone else gets a free pass.

Helle, the second line and our defense outsode of JoMo all got a significant amount of criticism this past playoff series. Fly was hardly alone.

Reactions: Jet and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Absolutely, the entire team hasn't been good in the playoffs, Helly especially because he is regarded as one of the best in the NHL. Helly should be able to carry us to a series win more than he has.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers is one of my favorite players, but there is no way way to gloss over his playoff performances. It is hard to go 9 years into your career and never be a playoff contributor.

He just doesn't get his nose dirty enough. You need to get to the hard areas to score in the playoffs and his long range volume shooting doesn't work as well against teams that are playing much tighter playoff defense.

ekotyluk

Feb 2, 2024
He just doesn't get his nose dirty enough. You need to get to the hard areas to score in the playoffs and his long range volume shooting doesn't work as well against teams that are playing much tighter playoff defense.
I agree but I'd say that also applies to most of his team mates, not just his line mates. I don't think many else are hard enough to play against either. The avs closed distance a lot faster in the playoffs than regular season and never gave up. We hardly changed at all.

Once the Jets quit driving the play and started reacting to what the Avs were doing it was game over.

Reactions: hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What difference does it make who is and isn't getting a free pass? This is the Ehlers thread, and we're talking about his poor play in the playoffs. What other players are or are not getting criticized for doesn't change anything

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree but I'd say that also applies to most of his team mates, not just his line mates. I don't think many else are hard enough to play against either. The avs closed distance a lot faster in the playoffs than regular season and never gave up. We hardly changed at all.

Once the Jets quit driving the play and started reacting to what the Avs were doing it was game over.

We just don't have the superstars some other teams have. Mark and KC still produce in the playoffs but their flaws also get exploited all too often as well.

Hopefully we get back to an aggressive forecheck and stick with it this year. We abandoned it the back half of last year after we got slower players.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Trade ehlers for a center because I don't believe lambert is the answer at center short term or long term. Think it's wing or bust for him. Yager to me after watching him at the rookie tournament is the future center on the top 6

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Trade ehlers for a center because I don't believe lambert is the answer at center short term or long term. Think it's wing or bust for him. Yager to me after watching him at the rookie tournament is the future center on the top 6
I'll forward your suggestion to Chevy

I'm sure that the idea of trading someone with one year of term left for a longterm solution at 2C or 1/2RHD has never occurred to him

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He's been getting the lion's share of the criticism. Maybe that is just because of his contract situation.
I think it's also because he's the only one of the core who really has never elevated in the playoffs.

Lots of guys deserved criticism last ps but many of them have showed the ability to play playoff hockey at some point.

Reactions: Jets 31

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it's also because he's the only one of the core who really has never elevated in the playoffs.

Lots of guys deserved criticism last ps but many of them have showed the ability to play playoff hockey at some point.
It is also the Ehlers thread, so naturally the discussion will be focused on him. I also wonder how much his injury history has taken a toll on him by seasons end. We hear pretty regularly with him that he has been dealing with some sort of injury while still playing.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i think it's a big tbd on all these prospects if they're C or not. it's not uncommon for guys in those player's draft range to go from C to Wing (and can add Perfetti to that even). Im old enough to remember the hype Roslovic got after his 17-18 season to be the next 2C of this team, and that really has not come to fruition.

As for trading ehlers, i highly doubt we'll be getting an established Center for him, given he has 1 year remaining. even a center of similar contract status....not sure who that'd be, and given FA is over and TC is starting, id think the acquiring team would have wanted to fulfill the hole left at Center after acquiring Ehlers. Unless, there's teams out there that have 3 x top-6 caliber Cs but :dunno:

Last edited:

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Saying this as Ehlers is my favourite Jet. has been since he got here but a change of scenery might be best, as for what he may return I would hope a solid top 4 d man would be in the Jets interest considering the cupboards are bare.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

Which C do you think is gonna be on offer in such a trade?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Keep Ehlers and sign Toews :naughty:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Saying this as Ehlers is my favourite Jet. has been since he got here but a change of scenery might be best, as for what he may return I would hope a solid top 4 d man would be in the Jets interest considering the cupboards are bare.
Yeah that's where I am as well.

If the Jets are serious about playoff success they have to start looking at players who show up in the post season.

I'll miss nik for sure - he's been a joy to watch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad