Salary Cap: Ehlers signs 7x6, Nylander signs ?????

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well Pastrnak put up 70 points with the Bruins last season so that salary range is probably a good comparable.

True, though he only had one season with big numbers. If Nylander puts up similar (or even larger) number of points this year I think his agent will be in a stronger negotiating position. I can see Nylander getting anywhere in the 6.5-8 million range. It will all depend on how many points he puts up this year

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
What if Ehlers and Nylander both have huge years? The Leafs could still use his contract as a comparable. If Nylander still wanted more in this scenario ( say a lot more, 1.5 mil per season) then the Leafs will have an issue. You want to win long term or win a pi$$ing contest? Ditto for Marner and Matthews. You can make it up in endorsements playing in Toronto.

I'm not concerned and think these guys will be done fairly, but the Leafs will have options either way.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Who's under rating him? He's an exceptional talent like the Leafs 3. Perhaps they are being under rated?

The people scoffing at the contract he signed and definitely the people saying Marner is better.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Thinks this means Nylander will be in the 6-6.5 range, which is great for us. Which means Marner probably will too.

Good news for us.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Score app notification came up..

"William Nylander not planning to negotiate new contract during season"

As per Chris Johnson

Not sure if this is new news or not..

All back on the doom and gloom train! 8x8!!

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I feel like not getting the contract done this off season is going to hurt us next off season with the kind of year Willy is about to have. He is worth at least 6-7 now he improves on last season and we are looking at 8 million.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If the Leafs end up paying Nylander 8 million it shouldn't be viewed as a Bad thing. If he has an amazing season this year he'll be worth it. Nothing wrong paying star talent top dollar. Though naturally hope he'll end up on a cheaper deal.

Edit: typos

Last edited:
Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Why would nylander sign now? Right now he's not getting more than 6.5 per year. He likely will be playing with Matthews majority of the season, which would see him probably in the 8 range.

Babs should make him carry his own line... then pay him accordingly ;)

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If the Leafs end up paying Nylander 8 million it shouldn't be viewed as a Bad thing. If he has an amazing season this year he'll be worth it. Nothing wrong paying star talent top dollar. Though naturally hope he'll end up on a cheaper deal.

Edit: typos
Maybe it wouldn't exactly be a "bad" thing because there is the very real chance Nylander didn't even want to sign this off season but there is inherent value in signing player's to cheaper deals before they hit their potential. Obviously if he is worth 8 you pay 8 and don't mind....but if you could have got him for 1.5 less a year ago it's probably the route that should have been looked at.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
That's a pretty big season to demand that kind of money. What's he getting, 50+goals and 90+ points?

Well considering as a rookie he was one of three players to score 40, I would say he can already make a case for near top dollar. A lot of people point to McDavid getting a Hart in his second year thus making him the top player in the game. If Matty grabs a Hart, and a Rocket, does that put him above McDavid or just on par? Still a lot of track to be run. He's capable of putting up huge numbers.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
What doesn't make them worth the money? The fact that they're Sabres? They're all very good players.

the fact that they are sabres????, ummm no, not at all

IMO, none of them are worth or earned those contracts.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Nylander is not getting any less than $7 mil per.

Anywhere from $7-9 mil per based on how he does this season.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
For Matthews or Nylander?

If Matthews puts up another 40 goal 85-90ish point season between now and his his next contract he's probably going to sign for a bit more than 10 mil. It will depend on how close he gets to McDavids point totals.
WTF do you mean another? he has not even done that once.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
WTF do you mean another? he has not even done that once.

He hit 40 goals and 69 points is one of the best rookie seasons in years. That plus a 85-90 point season could position his agent to ask for bigger money than Eichel, who only hit a PPG pace for one season and was awarded 10 million.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Maybe it wouldn't exactly be a "bad" thing because there is the very real chance Nylander didn't even want to sign this off season but there is inherent value in signing player's to cheaper deals before they hit their potential. Obviously if he is worth 8 you pay 8 and don't mind....but if you could have got him for 1.5 less a year ago it's probably the route that should have been looked at.

No doubt in my mind the team would have tried to sign him this summer, but Nylander and his agent both know full well he will get more next year and are prepared to wait. Willy is probably targeting a Draisaitl comparable and should have a good enough year to get it.

I suspect they'll also bleed a little extra as a sort of "Leafs tax" because they know the fan base will be rabid to have the big three locked up and that will add leverage to Willy's side. Marner will likely get a touch extra for the same reason.

Any less than $8M per for Willy and I would be pleasantly shocked.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He hit 40 goals and 69 points is one of the best rookie seasons in years. That plus a 85-90 point season could position his agent to ask for bigger money than Eichel, who only hit a PPG pace for one season and was awarded 10 million.
thats not what your post stated, you posted 40g 85/90p season again

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Ehlers ($6.0 mil) was taken 1 spot after Willie in the same draft.

Pastrnak ($6.66 mil) also from the same draft.

But I can see Johnny Hockey Gaudreau ($6.75 mil) might be a comparable for both Nylander and Marner.

Ehlers is a much better comparable for our boys. I could see Nylander signing an identical contract, or perhaps inking him to a bit more AAV for the full 8 years.

Both Pastrnak and Gaudreau have shown higher peaks thus far in their careers. That may change, of course.

Ouch regarding that Eichel extension. It's arguable that all of the big 3 are better than Eichel.

Matthews might be, but right now I'd say they are pretty close in terms of potential.

Buffalo might have overpaid a bit. $10M is where I envisioned Matthews would be.

Time will tell. For all we know, Eichel will end up better than Matthews.

Reactions: RRenegade

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Why would nylander sign now? Right now he's not getting more than 6.5 per year. He likely will be playing with Matthews majority of the season, which would see him probably in the 8 range.

Babs should make him carry his own line... then pay him accordingly ;)
exactly why i begged that we dump bozak now.

BUT i have faith in manegment

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
No doubt in my mind the team would have tried to sign him this summer, but Nylander and his agent both know full well he will get more next year and are prepared to wait. Willy is probably targeting a Draisaitl comparable and should have a good enough year to get it.

I suspect they'll also bleed a little extra as a sort of "Leafs tax" because they know the fan base will be rabid to have the big three locked up and that will add leverage to Willy's side. Marner will likely get a touch extra for the same reason.

Any less than $8M per for Willy and I would be pleasantly shocked.
8m????, then flush the toilet

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
8m????, then flush the toilet

Chemistry on the top line with the franchise center? Check.

Potential to be a PPG player or even better in the very, very near future? Check.

Likelihood of centering his own line eventually and/or being moved to and from Matthews wing when needed? Check.

I don't know about you guys but that sounds like a Draisaitl-like asset to me. He may not match Draisaitl's season points-wise this year but the "Leafs tax" and pressure on management to lock him up could give him the leverage.

I hope we steal him for $6-7M but if he has the year most think he will have that would be a pipe dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad