Salary Cap: Ehlers signs 7x6, Nylander signs ?????

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
No, that's just a classic error. If one group of people says something and another group of people says something else, it does not mean that the original group flipped their opinions. Different people have different opinions. Unless you have specific people saying Nylander is better and are now saying he's the same as Ehlers it doesn't mean anything. You are just letting subjective memories play into a storyline.

I think Nylander has a higher ceiling and should end up getting paid more. But it is up to Lou to keep the contracts under control. Can't afford to be as sloppy with money as Edmonton has been.

EDM???, HA Buffalo 23.5m for Eichel,Okposo,O'Reilly, LOLZZZZ!!! brutal

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
You might be right. There is no argument. They're all better:

Matthews: more goals/points as a rookie
Marner: more points at the same age
Nylander: better rookie season

Matthews is better I agree.

Marner more points because Eichel missed half of the season.

Nylander better rookie season being 3? years older than Eichel when Eichel was in his rookie season.

Look, I'm a huge fan of the leafs and the big 3, but only Matthews is better than Eichel and that is not arguable.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
all my notifications for Ehlers' contract said 6 years, $42M...the extra year is a very nice surprise

If we got Matthews on 8x$10M and Nylander/Marner on 8x$6.5, that would be a combined $23M cap hit coming into effect in 2019/2020. Toews and Kane are $21M effective now, so of a $75M cap = 28%. If the cap goes up at the same average rate that it has since the cap came into effect, by the time that all of the Big 3's contracts are in place they would be a smaller % of cap than just Toews and Kane

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You might be right. There is no argument. They're all better:

Matthews: more goals/points as a rookie
Marner: more points at the same age
Nylander: better rookie season

Nylander better rookie season being 3? years older than Eichel when Eichel was in his rookie season.

Look, I'm a huge fan of the leafs and the big 3, but only Matthews is better than Eichel and that is not arguable.

Matthews and Eichel are both franchise centers. People can split hairs over who is better if they like. I take Matthews because I believe his all around game is and will always be better. Eichel may be the better PPG player but Matthews is a rock.
Then the difference between Buffalo/Toronto comes down to the rest. Willy and Mitch (IMO) are a tier about Reinhart and brother Nylander, plus our supporting cast + coaching put us ahead.

The same goes for Laine in the comparisons. I think Laine will score more goals eventually due to the fact that he can be selfish, in the Ovi/Kessel way and has much less responsibility than a center.
Again, Matthews is a rock.

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
When you say "Brutal", you mean Brutal for us because it will take about $25M just to sign the big 3.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That's for a superstar and a #1C, and Okposo isn't exactly a bad player. It's not brutal.

it is in my books. Eichel is not a 10m player, 7.5m for O'Reilly, no thanks(and i really like him), 6m for okposo, ummmm no thanks.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
No, we wont get them for less, our market is maximum pressure, thus a premium is required. $25M/yr for the big 3.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Most likely..

Matthews 8 x 10.5
Nylander 8 x 7
Marner 8 x 7

Total 24.5 which is great!

That's on the premise that they all take 7 year deals. The avv goes down as the deal gets shorter.

I see no way that we spend over 25m on the 3.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

In Nylander's full rookie (last season), he was 1 year older (1 year 5 months) than Eichel not 3 years older.

Marner and Eichel were both 19 during most of their rookie seasons. Marner got more points in less games.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree but the bias seems to disappear when we want to sign him . It'll be no different than the people who keep saying Marner might be as good or better than Eichel changing there tune when he'S up for a new contract .

Its an interesting point and observation.

When comparing players on skill their ceilings seem to be much higher, but when talking contracts the comparables and price tag don't seem to align.

I've always found $$$ comparables a more accurate measure of a player values (more objective debate measure).. Nylander here more in the Ehlers/Pasternak range than Eichel\Draitsaitl. IMO

If Eichel gets $10 mil and Marner gets $7 mil and Draisaitl gets $8.5 mil and Nylander gets $7 mil then the players from their same draft class comparables that went ahead of the Leaf players seem to be valued >> based on the contracts they get.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Most likely..

Matthews 8 x 10.5
Nylander 8 x 7
Marner 8 x 7

Total 24.5 which is great!

That's on the premise that they all take 7 year deals. The avv goes down as the deal gets shorter.

I see no way that we spend over 25m on the 3.

If the Leafs could do that, it would be great.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Ehlers ($6.0 mil) was taken 1 spot after Willie in the same draft.

Pastrnak ($6.66 mil) also from the same draft.

But I can see Johnny Hockey Gaudreau ($6.75 mil) might be a comparable for both Nylander and Marner.

Factor in a bit of inflation and $6.75-$7m sounds like a realistic range

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No incentive for Nylander to sign now. He's definitely not going to get LESS than 6 million.

Smart move for his agent is to watch him put up 70-80 points and will then get more money

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
No incentive for Nylander to sign now. He's definitely not going to get LESS than 6 million.

Smart move for his agent is to watch him put up 70-80 points and will then get more money

I dunno... if Nylander were to get 40 points this season, he'll be hard pressed to demand 6 million...

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

i agree no reason to sign low

he's looked great in the preseason and if gets close to a ppg this year i see him asking for Drais type money

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Glad to see some sanity in the RFA market, after the Draisaitl, McDavid, and Eichel contracts.

Those three contracts are each a solid ~1.5-2M above what you would have expected, given the recent RFA market set by contracts such as Barkov, Gaudreau, Monahan, MacKinnon, etc. They pretty much paid those three their UFA value as young RFAs.

Ehlers on the otherhand is much more in line with historical long-term RFA contracts. Pay them well, but still decently below what their UFA value would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad