Confirmed with Link: Egor Zamula Signs Two Year Contract - $1.7M AAV

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
One of the reasons the PP was so bad is coaching and player deployment. The talent on the team was not great, and they probably were always going to be bottom 3rd, but they have enough talent to be better than they were. TK, Frost, Brink, Tippett, Couts, Foester, York -- they've all have history of being good power play producers (admittedly some in the NHL and some in lower leagues).

Their problem was where they were under the directive to shoot from outside the high danger areas. They would put Tippett on the half wall, they would put Frost on the left side (as a left handed shooter) and his only play was circle back and shoot from the half wall. They didn't try at all to get the puck into the middle. This is by design. Torts was asked about the PP troubles and his response was that the team needed to get bodies in front for screens and hopefully a puck would bounce off of those players -- they were actively designing the powerplay to take shots from distance while also limiting their players chances to get the puck to the middle of the ice.

This has been two years in a row, and they have brought back the exact same coaching staff going into this season as they did with last season. They need to drastically change their approach if they want to see improved power play success.

View attachment 895425
Have you seen stats on cross seam passes relative to the league? I wonder about that too.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Have you seen stats on cross seam passes relative to the league? I wonder about that too.
Passes are not tracked by the RTSS dataset, which is what most sites are based off (RTSS dataset is the publicly available dataset that the NHL releases). Most datasets that track passing data are behind heavy paywalls. Hockeyviz does a unique analysis to determine plus passers using probabilities (called setting ability), but there isn't a location based on it.

The only site I'm aware of that tracks passing that is cheap is all three zones, but to my knowledge they don't track that type of pass on the PP. I've looked for it and haven't seen it.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Passes are not tracked by the RTSS dataset, which is what most sites are based off (RTSS dataset is the publicly available dataset that the NHL releases). Most datasets that track passing data are behind heavy paywalls. Hockeyviz does a unique analysis to determine plus passers using probabilities (called setting ability), but there isn't a location based on it.

The only site I'm aware of that tracks passing that is cheap is all three zones, but to my knowledge they don't track that type of pass on the PP. I've looked for it and haven't seen it.
Thanks for the thorough response. I was kinda forming a hunch there.
Also, I haven’t been so much engaged as a fan in recent years.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The PP often looked to be more defensive than offensive. It's as though they were more concerned about doing things that might end up in shorthanded breakaways against them rather than doing what was needed to get offensive points of their own.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
One of the reasons the PP was so bad is coaching and player deployment. The talent on the team was not great, and they probably were always going to be bottom 3rd, but they have enough talent to be better than they were. TK, Frost, Brink, Tippett, Couts, Foester, York -- they've all have history of being good power play producers (admittedly some in the NHL and some in lower leagues).

Their problem was where they were under the directive to shoot from outside the high danger areas. They would put Tippett on the half wall, they would put Frost on the left side (as a left handed shooter) and his only play was circle back and shoot from the half wall. They didn't try at all to get the puck into the middle. This is by design. Torts was asked about the PP troubles and his response was that the team needed to get bodies in front for screens and hopefully a puck would bounce off of those players -- they were actively designing the powerplay to take shots from distance while also limiting their players chances to get the puck to the middle of the ice.

This has been two years in a row, and they have brought back the exact same coaching staff going into this season as they did with last season. They need to drastically change their approach if they want to see improved power play success.

View attachment 895425

Getting shots to the middle is unacceptable risk. PK formations are often designed to pick off those passes, so they are unacceptable. It's a reflection of the same thinking that has created essentially an invisible barrier extending from the far post that you almost never see them pass across compared to other teams. Offense is limited and its chief purpose is to hold the puck in the opposite end without letting the other team get it, more than generating the best possible chances and scoring. Scoring is a thing you can try if an opportunity presents itself in your game of keepaway. It's just a different form of defense played at the opposite end of the ice.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The PP often looked to be more defensive than offensive. It's as though they were more concerned about doing things that might end up in shorthanded breakaways against them rather than doing what was needed to get offensive points of their own.

This is pretty much my core complaint about Tortorella. Ignoring all the antics, on the hockey side of the game he deliberately limits offensive opportunity and creativity in an age where those things are increasingly rewarded. This is who he has always been. And it puts hard caps on what a team can be. Its why I've argued against the guy for over a decade.

Then you factor in everything else and it's a nightmare all around.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wasn't excited by Zamula's deal, but he's probably here for Michkov. Can't see him in their long-run plans.
Zamula, Attard and Ginning all are below average skaters on a team that wants to get faster.
Attard is the only one with plus offensive skills, Zamula is probably the best at D-zone exits and Ginning is a body.

They're here to buy a season while Andrae, McDonald, Samson and Grans marinate in LHV.
Next year, Bonk and Sotheran will be in LHV.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Wasn't excited by Zamula's deal, but he's probably here for Michkov. Can't see him in their long-run plans.
Zamula, Attard and Ginning all are below average skaters on a team that wants to get faster.
Attard is the only one with plus offensive skills, Zamula is probably the best at D-zone exits and Ginning is a body.

They're here to buy a season while Andrae, McDonald, Samson and Grans marinate in LHV.
Next year, Bonk and Sotheran will be in LHV.
Of those in bold how many do you see being NHL regulars? I see whole bunch of nothing though like Sotheran and will see how he comes along.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of those in bold how many do you see being NHL regulars? I see whole bunch of nothing though like Sotheran and will see how he comes along.
They really like McDonald (22), size, speed, defense, could replace Seeler or pair with someone like Gill down the road.
They also like Andrae (22), small but stout puck mover, another year in AHL won't hurt him, not an elite talent but good enough to start in NHL at some point.
Samson is 21 in August, Grans 22, no reason not to be patient and hope they can develop into depth players.
Sotheran another late B-day (June).

Ginning (25 in Jan), Attard (25), no longer prospects.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They really like McDonald (22), size, speed, defense, could replace Seeler or pair with someone like Gill down the road.
They also like Andrae (22), small but stout puck mover, another year in AHL won't hurt him, not an elite talent but good enough to start in NHL at some point.
Samson is 21 in August, Grans 22, no reason not to be patient and hope they can develop into depth players.
Sotheran another late B-day (June).

Ginning (25 in Jan), Attard (25), no longer prospects.
They like all their guys. Do not care what they say as they have to "prop" these guys up. They like Andrae so much he won't even make the team; needed Seeler for 4 more years and EJ to keep peace in the room. Grans stinks. Can't wait to see Macdonald exposed; his skating will be an issue a the NHL level. Would love to be wrong do not see him as an NHL regular in any way. A gill mention made my day.

They have a whole lot of nothing when you break it down. Guys you can finds ever summer on the cheap. Is there anyone you don't like in the system on the blueline as you seemed to have covered it all!!!

None of what you wrote answer the question I posed though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They like all their guys. Do not care what they say as they have to "prop" these guys up. They like Andrae so much he won't even make the team; needed Seeler for 4 more years and EJ to keep peace in the room. Grans stinks. Can't wait to see Macdonald exposed; his skating will be an issue a the NHL level. Would love to be wrong do not see him as an NHL regular in any way. A gill mention made my day.

They have a whole lot of nothing when you break it down. Guys you can finds ever summer on the cheap. Is there anyone you don't like in the system on the blueline as you seemed to have covered it all!!!

None of what you wrote answer the question I posed though.
Seeler is here to caddy Drysdale. Didn't want to pair him with an inexperienced D-man.
Risto is here b/c he's too hard to move coming off an injury and 3x5 left on his contract.
Johnson replaces Staal as the 7th D-man who collects splinters.

McDonald is a big mobile, defensive D-man, from all reports an above average skater, though we'll see this year in LHV how true those reports are. Huge, now 6'4 230, defensively sound with a mean streak. Old fashioned D-man but with mobility - the kind you pair with an offense first RHD. Still only 22, a year in the AHL should round out his play. Never going to generate much offense, all I want is the ability to skate/pass the puck out of the D-zone effectively and CYA for an offensive partner.

Bonk, Sotheran, Gill, a bit overloaded on the right side, but since LHDs are more common in most drafts, good opportunity to pick 1 or 2 up next draft.

Biggest disappointment is Attard, while he improved on defense, he's still limited there, while he has skills on offense, his lack of speed limits his ability to get back if he's being aggressive in the O-zone. I think he can play 3rd pair with a faster partner, but not paired with Zamula or Ginning at the NHL level.

Reactions: sregdoor

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Seeler is here to caddy Drysdale. Didn't want to pair him with an inexperienced D-man.
Risto is here b/c he's too hard to move coming off an injury and 3x5 left on his contract.

McDonald is a big mobile, defensive D-man, from all reports an above average skater, though we'll see this year in LHV how true those reports are. Huge, now 6'4 230, defensively sound with a mean streak. Old fashioned D-man but with mobility - the kind you pair with an offense first RHD. Still only 22, a year in the AHL should round out his play. Never going to generate much offense, all I want is the ability to skate/pass the puck out of the D-zone effectively and CYA for an offensive partner.

Bonk, Sotheran, Gill, a bit overloaded on the right side, but since LHDs are more common in most drafts, good opportunity to pick 1 or 2 up next draft.

Biggest disappointment is Attard, while he improved on defense, he's still limited there, while he has skills on offense, his lack of speed limits his ability to get back if he's being aggressive in the O-zone. I think he can play 3rd pair with a faster partner, but not paired with Zamula or Ginning at the NHL level.
Would love to see those reports Mac is an above average skater and who wrote them. Seems you have bought into the the Hunter hype that Jones and Briere keep spewing. He played such a sheltered role with LHV; kudos to Lappy for that.

No need to bring back Seeler. None. Nada. Zip. Once again the Flyers miss the boat on sellign high. No team was giving him that contract. None. You want a vet then go get one in the summer as Seeler types are available every year on a 1 or 2 year deal. Hell could trade for Ceci and get an asset back as well.

Attard isn't as much a disappointment as its the Flyers organization who disappoints. They are allegedly rebuilding. Zamula Attard Ginning and Andrae should be battling out for the 5-6-7 spots on the roster. See what they have to offer going forward. That is what a rebuilding team would do. As you said before Attard and Ginning are not prospects so having them as the 6 and 7 would be fine. No need for EJ in any capacity.

Cant for the life of me see how anyone can defend this franchise at this point.

Reactions: dats81

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Would love to see those reports Mac is an above average skater and who wrote them. Seems you have bought into the the Hunter hype that Jones and Briere keep spewing. He played such a sheltered role with LHV; kudos to Lappy for that.

No need to bring back Seeler. None. Nada. Zip. Once again the Flyers miss the boat on sellign high. No team was giving him that contract. None. You want a vet then go get one in the summer as Seeler types are available every year on a 1 or 2 year deal. Hell could trade for Ceci and get an asset back as well.

Attard isn't as much a disappointment as its the Flyers organization who disappoints. They are allegedly rebuilding. Zamula Attard Ginning and Andrae should be battling out for the 5-6-7 spots on the roster. See what they have to offer going forward. That is what a rebuilding team would do. As you said before Attard and Ginning are not prospects so having them as the 6 and 7 would be fine. No need for EJ in any capacity.

Cant for the life of me see how anyone can defend this franchise at this point.
Hadn't heard any real offers for Seeler, if someone offered a 2nd, I'm sure he'd be long gone.
Zamula, Attard and Ginning are below average skaters, one is fine, three is overkill.
I think Briere wants to get faster everywhere, so he's looking to replace these three at some point.

3LHD is Zamula to lose, Risto is going to start at 3RHD b/c Briere wants to be able to move him next summer (or the TDL if he stays healthy and plays well).

Johnson is here to sit on the bench and be the wise old man in the clubhouse, Attard and Ginning are headed to LHV, the waiver wire or a throw-in as part of a trade package.

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
Attard has somehow fallen out of favor, he clearly isn't a Torts guy, but whenever he has gotten an opportunity to play he as done reasonably well, also backed by advanced stats.
Isn't it weird that all the Torts' guys don't play well? Except Konecny, who will end up costing them a fortune.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Hadn't heard any real offers for Seeler, if someone offered a 2nd, I'm sure he'd be long gone.
Zamula, Attard and Ginning are below average skaters, one is fine, three is overkill.
I think Briere wants to get faster everywhere, so he's looking to replace these three at some point.

3LHD is Zamula to lose, Risto is going to start at 3RHD b/c Briere wants to be able to move him next summer (or the TDL if he stays healthy and plays well).

Johnson is here to sit on the bench and be the wise old man in the clubhouse, Attard and Ginning are headed to LHV, the waiver wire or a throw-in as part of a trade package.
You didn't hear any offers because he was never available. They made that perfectly clear. To defend not moving him and then giving him that contract is baffling to me. Dont think Zamula, Attard and Ginning are below average skaters. Wait until you see Hunter Mac then if those 3 are below average.

Still thinking RIsot will have value at some point. Maybe when he is in the last year of his deal at the deadline. Not a chance before then.

Lett Attard or Ginning be the 7th. Then the coaches can see them every day in practice. Not sure how playing in the AHL is going to improve their game much at this stage. Also neither one have any value as part of any trade package. It would be simply a contract dump.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Attard has somehow fallen out of favor, he clearly isn't a Torts guy, but whenever he has gotten an opportunity to play he as done reasonably well, also backed by advanced stats.
Attard can play in a sheltered role, he has improved defensively but he's still not as good as a big strong D-man should be (as a rover, didn't develop fundamentals in college).

Problem is he's similar to Risto but not as sound defensively (and a lot slower), and they're stuck with Risto b/c of his contract. Given his age, and the young RHDs behind him, by the time they're able to dump Risto, Attard will have a very short window.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Ah. Yet another prospect who "disappoints" and simply cannot touch the NHL for a wide variety of manufactured reasons, so it is good that they keep stockpiling Olds. Sure happens a lot with this team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ah. Yet another prospect who "disappoints" and simply cannot touch the NHL for a wide variety of manufactured reasons, so it is good that they keep stockpiling Olds. Sure happens a lot with this team.
We're talking a late 3rd rd pick, if he's a 3RHD that's a "hit."
If Risto was moveable I think Attard would have a year or two to replace him and prove he belongs.
But they need to play Risto if they want to move him next summer.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We're talking a late 3rd rd pick, if he's a 3RHD that's a "hit."
If Risto was moveable I think Attard would have a year or two to replace him and prove he belongs.
But they need to play Risto if they want to move him next summer.

But they aren't likely to let him even be on the 3rd pairing, not if they can avoid it.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But they aren't likely to let him even be on the 3rd pairing, not if they can avoid it.
No room at the inn.

Drysdale is getting a shot at 2RHD, Risto will be showcased at 3RHD (and he's better than Attard, much better skater and Shaw has taught him how to play defense).

Attard is odd man out, maybe gets a shot next year, but with Bonk and Sotheran in LHV, and we'll see how Samson (21) and Grans (22) develop this year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No room at the inn.

Drysdale is getting a shot at 2RHD, Risto will be showcased at 3RHD (and he's better than Attard, much better skater and Shaw has taught him how to play defense).

Attard is odd man out, maybe gets a shot next year, but with Bonk and Sotheran in LHV, and we'll see how Samson (21) and Grans (22) develop this year.

Probably should have traded Seeler at the TDL. And not brought back EJ.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Probably should have traded Seeler at the TDL. And not brought back EJ.
I can see keeping Seeler up to a point. Term is too long but do be it. He could fill the role of the older vet that the FO wants.
EJ however is a useless retention done to satisfy a coach that just can’t trust young players. He’s not going to play better than Zamula, Attard or possibly Andrae. Makes one wonder who needs the security blanket, the players or the coach

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I can see keeping Seeler up to a point. Term is too long but do be it. He could fill the role of the older vet that the FO wants.
EJ however is a useless retention done to satisfy a coach that just can’t trust young players. He’s not going to play better than Zamula, Attard or possibly Andrae. Makes one wonder who needs the security blanket, the players or the coach
Johnson is RHD, he simply replaces Attard on the bench as the 7th/8th D-man.
Neither is going to play ahead of Risto, who is the 3RHD.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Johnson is RHD, he simply replaces Attard on the bench as the 7th/8th D-man.
Neither is going to play ahead of Risto, who is the 3RHD.
For a rebuilding team, I love the concept of "We have to play him in the hope that he makes himself valuable enough to go away next season". That is priceless time investment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad