Proposal: Edmonton - Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
Mcdavid gifted Matthews a goal, but the other goal and assist and goal he got were 100% on his own back.

gotta love the "everyone plays well with mcdavid comments"
not much more that Matthews can do really. dominant at the worlds and then the world cup as well.

If Mcdivid wasnt coming back, It would likely be Draisaitl, Larsson, and Nurse or something of that nature.
Nylander,Zaitsev and a 2nd surely wouldnt be close to getting connor would it?

think what you would want for Mcdavid and take away a little. thats what Matthews would cost

First of all, I thought Mathews played great and pulled every bit of his weight on that line. But take off your homer glasses for a second. Do you know how goals are scored? Face-offs, zone entries, drawing defenders out of position? All of these matter. On that great goal by Matthews against Sweden, McDavid won the opening draw, he then carried the puck from his own blueline into the Swedish zone to achieve a clean zone entry, split the D, and got a shot on goal. By the time Matthews touches the puck for the first time Lundquist is out of position, the defence is in disarray and has lost coverage on a bunch of players, allowing Reilly to get wide open. Matthews retrieves the puck, dekes out a defender and spots Reilly streaking to the open ice, who then got good wood on a one-timer on net, giving Matthews a top-in rebound. And you actually think Matthews scored that goal 100% on his own? C'mon man. McDavid, Reilly AND Matthews all played key roles in that goal.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Nailed it. unfortunately these two are likely to never team up again
(diffsrent nations, conferences, nhl teams Etc) boy was that fun to watch though

I'm sure the All Star game will be something like the under 25's vs the league or something. I'm sure the NHL noticed the reaction of the kids from the fans.

I'm not going to comment on the proposal as it is ridiculous. Matthews will be Toronto's face of the franchise. As Crosby is to Pittsburgh, Lindros was to Philly, Yzerman was to Detroit, etc etc etc.

All these proposals do is have 2 fanbases snipe at each other over players who should be enjoyed instead of being compared.

member 157595

For a countless number of reasons, Matthews is simply not available. It's not even worth getting into what price it would take to get him. He's simply not available, and there's no point in continuing further.

Not an Oilers fan but the same situation applies (even more so, in fact) with McDavid. Not available so don't bother.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Toronto is not trading Mathews, not gonna happen no point discussing it.
Also, as good as Mathews-McDavid were, i'd bet Pulju-Mcdavid will be even better.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto is not trading Mathews, not gonna happen no point discussing it.
Also, as good as Mathews-McDavid were, i'd bet Pulju-Mcdavid will be even better.

That implies that Puju will be better than Mathews and I don't see that there is a reason Mathews went #1

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
That implies that Puju will be better than Mathews and I don't see that there is a reason Mathews went #1

no it doesn't, the whole is greater then the sum of it's parts...look at team canada defence, no one will say muzzin/bouw is better then subban/letang 1v1...but as a combo doughty/bouw, weber/bouw whatever they play is better then doughty/subban, doughty/letang

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Wouldn't exactly call that scraps, no guaruntee Matthews ends up better than Drai and RNH was also a 1st OA pick.

Wot?? Matthews is already a better player than Drai, and RNH/Nurse/2nd are scraps when you're talking about a trade of this magnitude. Counter proposal. Nylander/Marner + Rielly + 2nd for McDavid.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Wot?? Matthews is already a better player than Drai, and RNH/Nurse/2nd are scraps when you're talking about a trade of this magnitude. Counter proposal. Nylander/Marner + Rielly + 2nd for McDavid.

Sorry, Edmonton doesn't want your scraps

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Exactly my point

Leaf fan here, agree that we need to stop throwing the word "scraps" around and flaming the other teams assets for no reason. Edmonton has some great pieces (which they should after drafting so high for so long), and even though the leafs are absolutely not trading Matthews for a collection of lesser pieces, I would love to have Draisaitl and Nurse in our system - these are not scraps

These threads always turn into poop slinging contests when one person says something extreme, then a fan of the other team counteracts with something more extreme until the whole thing looks like a US presidential debate (apologies to our American friends)

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Not a fan of either team, but

Dr. Drai + Puljujärvi + either another 1st or comparable roster player has to at least make the discussion happen.

Let's not discount how good Drai has looked in the WC.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Matthews looked great playing with MacD but not just because MacD is another great player. Matthews looked good because he is good. He has a chance to be the best Leaf ever. ( there I said it) Or at least in the conversation. No way Leafs trade him even if value is fair or slanted in their favor. Unless a deal is rediculous.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Watching McDavid and Matthews do their magic in the WCH wondering if there is a way to unite these two for good.

Toronto receives

RNH/Draisaitl +Nurse + 2nd (2017)

Edmonton receives

Matthews

Yeah try more like a McDavid and Matthews swap, And neither is going to happen. And besides how do you think that Toronto can afford to give both $12 million down the road it's not happening.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Dr. Drai + Puljujärvi + either another 1st or comparable roster player has to at least make the discussion happen.

Leafs fan - I agree with that, if the package contains Draisatl+Puljajarvi+another 1st I think that would be a considerable overpayment, which is the only scenario that we would trade Matthews under

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

Value wise that works, but positionally there's absolutely no reason to downgrade at C just to add another wing. The only way it makes sense is if we're picking up a young top-4 RHD, which Edmonton obviously won't want to trade away.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Leafs fan - I agree with that, if the package contains Draisatl+Puljajarvi+another 1st I think that would be a considerable overpayment, which is the only scenario that we would trade Matthews under

Any deal like this makes no sense for the Oil though. To upgrade from Drai to Matthews (which remains to be seen if it is an upgrade. Before you freak out and tell me Matthews is better now I understand that his potential upside is a bit higher than Drai. That does not mean he will reach it) is not worth Pool party let alone adding a first.
This fills no need for Edmonton. These 2 teams make lousy trading partners in general

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Any deal like this makes no sense for the Oil though. To upgrade from Drai to Matthews (which remains to be seen if it is an upgrade. Before you freak out and tell me Matthews is better now I understand that his potential upside is a bit higher than Drai. That does not mean he will reach it) is not worth Pool party let alone adding a first.
This fills no need for Edmonton. These 2 teams make lousy trading partners in general

Ya I agree with that. McDavid-Draisatl is a crazy good 1-2 centre situation and its not like you're lacking talent on the wings. I think too much was made of the chemistry btw McDavid and Matthews, really good players play really well together...seems only natural.

Matthews might never be better than Draisatl, but his market trade value right now is higher than Draisatl. Agreed that the difference isn't Puljajarvi+1st, but that's what it takes to pry him away from TML....which EDM doesn't do....close thread?

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
I literally never saw that implied once. Don't be so sensitive. When people say McDavid can make anyone look good, it is in reference to making Yak and Maroon look good. We all know Matthews does it on his own. We are just saying that it isn't necessary to have a winger with Matthews skill for McDavid to be dominant. Just like it doesn't take a McDavid type center or winger to make Matthews dominant.

Basically it is just saying this move is not necessary for anyone. And to reiterate, this thread was created to troll everyone. The OP is not an Oilers fan.

The post that made me say that was deleted. I assume it was deleted by a mod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad