Podcast (Audio) Edmonton Sports Radio/Podcast Thread - Part 7

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The best Edmonton sports radio show/podcast?

• Total voters

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Watching the Score used to be a staple of my school mornings when I was a kid in the 2000's. Glad to see how they've reinvented themselves.

Reactions: oilers'72

theonetheonly

Nov 30, 2015
The last two days have been a huge triumph for Dustin Nielson and the other TSN1260 refugees (Lieutenant Eric, Matthew Iwanyk & Tom Gazzola) who joined him a year ago to start up a fledgling internet radio station based on a model created by Winnipeg Sports Talk. Using their website, YouTube and eventually the TuneIn & IHeart Radio streaming platforms, Nielson & Co. have quite successfully turned an idea into a steadily growing entity that now broadcasts live between 6 am and 6 pm every weekday. There are now a couple of bright young producers (YouTube Trev & Zachticum), an ever-growing number of advertisers on-board and over 10000 YouTube subscribers as well as some rapidly developing new broadcasters from other fields: Joaquin Gage & Jay "Glue Guy" Milne. The recent additions of veteran broadcasters Reid Wilkins from CHED (with co-host Milne from 3-6) & Hernan Salas (ex-TSN1260 with Gage from 1-3) have not just added 5 more hours of daily programming, they have also brought a more polished but still fun tone to the operation.

While it's up to people to decide if the show content on EST is to their liking in comparison to Jason Gregor's also-imperfect Sports 1440, it's terrific for an old sports talk radio junky like me to see the genre thriving again here. With TSN 1260 getting yanked and 630 CHED steadily shrinking their coverage, I was far-from certain what would be left for me outside of podcasts and Oilers/Elks broadcasts.
This comment reads like a press release

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
This comment reads like a press release
Thank you- whether you meant it as a compliment or not. I wrote it as an extremely avid longtime Edmonton sports talk radio listener, nothing more. I personally lean more towards EST than Sports 1440, no doubt. Still, I'm absolutely delighted to see that everyone who was jobless after Bell Media killed TSN 1260 has landed somewhere- mostly with Nielson's or Gregor's new ventures.

Reactions: Barrsy

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Gregor had Dwayne Mandrusiak on this afternoon, it's was a great interview. They discussed his addition to the ring of honor, which I didn't realize, he has Parkinsons as well. I don't know if there is a classier person in Edmonton sports? But the way the old crew dismissed him in his 49th year was classless.

To the clowns that keep saying the attendance decrease was due to the 'name change'. This was another terrible PR decision by the old board and management.

I know he was golfing with the Thompson family at a recent charity golf tournament. Hopefully they have him in an ambassador role.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So been testing 880 vs 630 reception in the City. Boy are they in for lower numbers, 880 clearly not near the strength as 630 and that's just in the Edmonton and surrounding area.

Not going to be good for the Oiler games by the sounds of it. Really wonder what impact that will have on the contract and such going forward.

Although I guess it's better than nothing as this is nothing more than a way to save some money.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
So been testing 880 vs 630 reception in the City. Boy are they in for lower numbers, 880 clearly not near the strength as 630 and that's just in the Edmonton and surrounding area.

Not going to be good for the Oiler games by the sounds of it. Really wonder what impact that will have on the contract and such going forward.

Although I guess it's better than nothing as this is nothing more than a way to save some money.
Has anyone figured out the real reason for this? Cause it doesnt make sense.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

This is nt a surprise at all. It was an expected outcome.
CHED can BS the public all they want about better coverage but unless they are investing in more towers (which they arent because cost cutting is on the agenda) changing to a higher AM frequency is going to mean worse coverage...not better.

Says a lot about CHED as a company (Corus) that they would outright lie to the public about this.
They are clearly cutting costs as they started laying off long time employees a few years ago.

They are continuing to cut costs....

Corus Entertainment has pulled the plug on two of its AM radio formats in Vancouver and Edmonton, and laid off staff.

RadioWest.ca • View topic - Corus kills off CKGO Vancouver and CHQT Edmonton

Last edited:
Reactions: joestevens29

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Says a lot about CHED as a company (Corus) that they would outright lie to the public about this.
They are clearly cutting costs as they started laying off long time employees a few years ago.
Media companies being disingenous? Shooocker....

Bell, let's talk, and three days later lay off 1000 people.

Pull the plug on stations with zero notice. These guys are heartless corporate pieces of shit. Glad our boys all have jobs. (The Sports guys.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad