Podcast (Audio) Edmonton Sports Radio/Podcast Thread - Part 7

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The best Edmonton sports radio show/podcast?

• Total voters

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Still handy for a lot of people with radios in their vehicles. Usually one less step to simply press the AM button. CHED has always had a great signal, pretty much no interference and doesn’t cut out. Can’t say the same for streaming, with buffering issues at times.
Streaming is still a pain in the ass no matter what people say.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Still handy for a lot of people with radios in their vehicles. Usually one less step to simply press the AM button. CHED has always had a great signal, pretty much no interference and doesn’t cut out. Can’t say the same for streaming, with buffering issues at times.
100%
The other part of this is that there is an exisiting technology that has worked exceedingly well for many decades.
While its great that there are some shiny new technologies that opens up more availability for listening to AM radio (and many other things) that doesnt mean that the exisiting technology should be abandoned all together. Unless of course forcing consumers down a specific funnel benefits business (which happens a lot) and that appears to be the case here.
There are literally millions of cars in Canada that still have AM/FM receivers built into them.
Its allows the listener the opporunity to listen to programs at no cost. No paywalls...no added technology required.
So from a business perspective I can see why they would want everyone paying for a streaming service of some kind or being forced to buy some shiny new technology before being able to listen to something that was once free. Thats not even considering the learning curve required to operate some technology.
From a consumer perspective having multiple options is always better and most often the low tech options are cheaper and often times more reliable.
Thats certainly true in this case.

This squeeze on AM/FM stations is IMO coming from industry... its not due to a lack of consumer interest.

Last edited:

sdimedru

Jan 19, 2007
EST crew introduced a couple of new shows this week, they're on air from 6am-6pm now.

Thoughts on the kickoff of EST Afternoons w/Hernan and Joaquin and Reid Wilkins Show?... Too early I know but I'm really liking the afternoon content

Reactions: Lacaar and abootzky

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Been nearly a year and still 1440 has the worst reception I have ever heard. I picked up CHED better in McMurray then I can 1440 on the SS (closet spot to wetaskiwin in the city. This is total bush league
I haven't noticed much for issues past month

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
EST crew introduced a couple of new shows this week, they're on air from 6am-6pm now.

Thoughts on the kickoff of EST Afternoons w/Hernan and Joaquin and Reid Wilkins Show?... Too early I know but I'm really liking the afternoon content
Wilkins is good. They must have some generous sponsors to pay all those guys

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Been nearly a year and still 1440 has the worst reception I have ever heard. I picked up CHED better in McMurray then I can 1440 on the SS (closet spot to wetaskiwin in the city. This is total bush league
Maybe they can swap for the 630 spot on the dial. That would be sweet.

Wilkins is good. They must have some generous sponsors to pay all those guys
Curious how much those guys make in a year. Can't be much.

Reactions: oilers'72

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I find it spotty in Edmonton too. Mostly listen to them online though.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

The last two days have been a huge triumph for Dustin Nielson and the other TSN1260 refugees (Lieutenant Eric, Matthew Iwanyk & Tom Gazzola) who joined him a year ago to start up a fledgling internet radio station based on a model created by Winnipeg Sports Talk. Using their website, YouTube and eventually the TuneIn & IHeart Radio streaming platforms, Nielson & Co. have quite successfully turned an idea into a steadily growing entity that now broadcasts live between 6 am and 6 pm every weekday. There are now a couple of bright young producers (YouTube Trev & Zachticum), an ever-growing number of advertisers on-board and over 10000 YouTube subscribers as well as some rapidly developing new broadcasters from other fields: Joaquin Gage & Jay "Glue Guy" Milne. The recent additions of veteran broadcasters Reid Wilkins from CHED (with co-host Milne from 3-6) & Hernan Salas (ex-TSN1260 with Gage from 1-3) have not just added 5 more hours of daily programming, they have also brought a more polished but still fun tone to the operation.

While it's up to people to decide if the show content on EST is to their liking in comparison to Jason Gregor's also-imperfect Sports 1440, it's terrific for an old sports talk radio junky like me to see the genre thriving again here. With TSN 1260 getting yanked and 630 CHED steadily shrinking their coverage, I was far-from certain what would be left for me outside of podcasts and Oilers/Elks broadcasts.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
The last two days have been a huge triumph for Dustin Nielson and the other TSN1260 refugees (Lieutenant Eric, Matthew Iwanyk & Tom Gazzola) who joined him a year ago to start up a fledgling internet radio station based on a model created by Winnipeg Sports Talk. Using their website, YouTube and eventually the TuneIn & IHeart Radio streaming platforms, Nielson & Co. have quite successfully turned an idea into a steadily growing entity that now broadcasts live between 6 am and 6 pm every weekday. There are now a couple of bright young producers (YouTube Trev & Zachticum), an ever-growing number of advertisers on-board and over 10000 YouTube subscribers as well as some rapidly developing new broadcasters from other fields: Joaquin Gage & Jay "Glue Guy" Milne. The recent additions of veteran broadcasters Reid Wilkins from CHED (with co-host Milne from 3-6) & Hernan Salas (ex-TSN1260 with Gage from 1-3) have not just added 5 more hours of daily programming, they have also brought a more polished but still fun tone to the operation.

While it's up to people to decide if the show content on EST is to their liking in comparison to Jason Gregor's also-imperfect Sports 1440, it's terrific for an old sports talk radio junky like me to see the genre thriving again here. With TSN 1260 getting yanked and 630 CHED steadily shrinking their coverage, I was far-from certain what would be left for me outside of podcasts and Oilers/Elks broadcasts.
These two are splitting the market, however the vast majority still lean toward Gregor and the AM station. Gregor desperately needs a full time co-host though. His part timers outside of Strudwick are painful. Same for Karius.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
These two are splitting the market, however the vast majority still lean toward Gregor and the AM station. Gregor desperately needs a full time co-host though. His part timers outside of Strudwick are painful. Same for Karius.
You're probably right, but there's a couple of things at play here. 1. With the new additions, the actual shows & personalities on EST are way more appealing overall. 2. The convenience of 1440 being on AM radio is negated by the station's piss-poor signal. The far less annoying way to listen to Gregor's bunch is on IHeart, TuneIn or YouTube. Advantage lost.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

In my view the only thing that 1440 has over EST at this point is the fact that it’s on terrestrial radio. Other than Gregor’s show I don’t think there is anything else on 1440 that competes with EST content wise.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Nice to see the new lineup in EST.

Usually when driving I listen to a podcast of any of our fine sports media folks (The Oilstream, Got Yer back, Cult of Hockey, and when Gregor puts up a hockey specific one) over live if there's any interesting. Otherwise I'll just dial into 1440 but depending on my vehicle it gets this weird feedback sometimes. Funny enough I was driving north to Lac La Biche and the 1440 signal made it all the way and was decent quality.

Like mentioned above I prefer to consume my content a la carte and rarely listen live. I just have 0 interest in other sports to be honest. In the summer it's good because not much happens. It's a lot more challenging during the season. Take Oilers now and their late timeslot. By the time last nights game is over and it's the next day. I've consumed the content from the post game already by the time their podcast is available almost a full 24 hours after the game it feels stale sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad