Podcast (Audio) Edmonton Sports Radio/Podcast Thread - Part 7

The best Edmonton sports radio show/podcast?

• Total voters

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Can somebody explain what benefit this has more ched?

IMG_5199.jpeg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

View attachment 903732
Unless they have a stronger transmitter the coverage will be worse.
Frequencies lower down on the AM band travel further distances so if the transmitter has the same wattage output as 630 then 880 wont have the same reach.
So without providing a reason for their claim that the signal coverage will be better its just a bunch of BS. Just an excuse which likely has more to do with obscuring cost cutting measures than anything else.

It reminds me of when Telus sold their email to Google. They marketed that as the best possible thing for their email users when in reality it had everything to do with selling Google their user data. There was no advantage at all to the email users but Telus did their utmost to make it look like it was all done to benefit the users.

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
They are in a big financial mess, so not sure if somehow this frequency is cheaper or how that works. Gone from a $25 stock to a 14 cent stock.

I don't see people tuning in for news every 20 minutes and a ton of commercials for 10 minute segments sponsored by royal pizza and Ruth's Chris steakhouse being a sustainable business model.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Frequencies lower down on the AM band travel further distances so if the transmitter has the same wattage output as 630 then 880 wont have the same reach.
So without providing a reason for their claim that the signal coverage will be better its just a bunch of BS. Just an excuse which likely has more to do with obscuring cost cutting measures than anything else.

It reminds me of when Telus sold their email to Google. They marketed that as the best possible thing for their email users when in reality it had everything to do with selling Google their user data. There was no advantage at all to the email users but Telus did their utmost to make it look like it was all done to benefit the users.
Around Edmonton I don't see no difference, but I go East or North and 630 ched is the best reception for me

Some sort of money play here

So I don't really follow 630 ched, but saw they had a list of programming and how everything seems to be staying the same.

My question is have they lost any people?

Seems like you'd be a fool to be employed by them and not looking for alternative work

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Around Edmonton I don't see no difference, but I go East or North and 630 ched is the best reception for me

Some sort of money play here

So I don't really follow 630 ched, but saw they had a list of programming and how everything seems to be staying the same.

My question is have they lost any people?

Seems like you'd be a fool to be employed by them and not looking for alternative work
I agree. CHED is a sinking ship...another go woke...go broke scenario?

In any event 630 Cheds signal reaches into the far south and north of the province. 880's doesnt.

My hope...Sportsnet takes over the 630 frequency and gets the Oilers rights.
Then we can listen to Hockey without hearing the freaking news every 30 minutes followed by a raft of commercials. The actual sports content in 30 minutes of CHED air time cant be much more than 15 minutes.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I agree. CHED is a sinking ship...another go woke...go broke scenario?

In any event 630 Cheds signal reaches into the far south and north of the province. 880's doesnt.

My hope...Sportsnet takes over the 630 frequency and gets the Oilers rights.
Then we can listen to Hockey without hearing the freaking news every 30 minutes followed by a raft of commercials. The actual sports content in 30 minutes of CHED air time cant be much more than 15 minutes.
I doubt it's a going woke thing, I think radio is just dying.

If Sportsnet takes over, does that mean more Spec? Good Lord...

• Haha
Reactions: oilers'72

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I remember about 15 years years ago or so when Sirius was in a real financial bind, and their stock went from $50+ to about a dime. I bought a bunch, tripled my money really quick, but sold out way too early. So never say never. :)
I think that Global and Network TV are going to have a hard time rebounding significantly. Streaming is the way to go.

Reactions: abootzky

theonetheonly

Nov 30, 2015

This journal article says that it will provide “better city coverage" as a person in BC who gets the games in my car here I'm pretty bummed out

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

This journal article says that it will provide “better city coverage" as a person in BC who gets the games in my car here I'm pretty bummed out
I hear you.

So here are the 2 sentences that refer to 'coverage'...
“This further solidifies our commitment to providing Edmonton’s best talk, news and sports programming and we are excited to reach new listeners with this improved signal coverage.”
A press release from Corus said the move, which takes effect Oct. 9, will provide “better city coverage and an upgraded listening experience,” but will continue the current lineup of shows, featuring:
What does this even mean?

How can they improve signal coverage across the city?

You transmit a signal and your car radio receiver picks up the signal. Distance from the transmitter is the biggest determining factor in receiving a clean signal. During the day the signal distance doesnt carry as far. At night the signals carry a lot farther...stations have to cut back their power because otherwise the signal can carry into other regions where it may interfere with local staions utilizing the same or similar frequency on the AM band.

So how is it that 880 is going to improve the coverage for the city when its already well withing the range of a standard 50,000 watt transmitter? Its a reality that 880 will not carry as far as 630 so the outliying areas (like Northern and Southern Alberta and even BC) will suffer.
That certainly isnt a positive.

Are they trying to suggest that the signal will be less likely to disapppear when you drive under a bridge?

How can they provide an upgraded listening experience? What does that even mean?
The bandwidth for AM is very limited which is why FM sounds so much better.
What can they possibly do to an AM signal to improve the listening experience?

If I am off base here I sure hope that someone corrects me (its been a long time since I studied Frequency and Amplitude modulation) but on the face of it this sounds like a lot of marketing bullshit to me.

Last edited:

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Maybe they think that, like the Eskimos did in 2021, a refreshed name and bandwidth will somehow change their fortunes. That didn't go so well for the football team, so they should learn from that.
Terrestrial radio is is in some ways in the same boat as sports francises named after groups of people. It was a cool idea in the 1920's and for a long time after that but it's antiquated now. Whether it's for better or worse, the time for streaming is here. Homes have smart devices and Bluetooth speakers that pick up IHeart, TuneIn, etc. and vehicles come equipped with those streaming services either ready to go or easily found & activated. Fully online Edmonton Sports Talk & podcasts like The Turf District or Got Yer Back are my local go-to's (through IHeart). It's also how I now listen to Sports 1440 (without the static) and 630 CHED (in my house) even though I still own radios that can pick them up. Streaming's super-easy once you let yourself get used to it.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
I hear you.

So here are the 2 sentences that refer to 'coverage'...

What does this even mean?

How can they improve signal coverage across the city?

You transmit a signal and your car radio receiver picks up the signal. Distance from the transmitter is the biggest determining factor in receiving a clean signal. During the day the signal distance doesnt carry as far. At night the signals carry a lot farther...stations have to cut back their power because otherwise the signal can carry into other regions where it may interfere with local staions utilizing the same or similar frequency on the AM band.

So how is it that 880 is going to improve the coverage for the city when its already well withing the range of a standard 50,000 watt transmitter? Its a reality that 880 will not carry as far as 630 so the outliying areas (like Northern and Southern Alberta and even BC) will suffer.
That certainly isnt a positive.

Are they trying to suggest that the signal will be less likely to disapppear when you drive under a bridge?

How can they provide an upgraded listening experience? What does that even mean?
The bandwidth for AM is very limited which is why FM sounds so much better.
What can they possibly do to an AM signal to improve the listening experience?

If I am off base here I sure hope that someone corrects me (its been a long time since I studied Frequency and Amplitude modulation) but on the face of it this sounds like a lot of marketing bullshit to me.
When I was a kid I would listen to Eskimo games on the radio at the lake and at 10:00 they would cut back the power and we would have a hard time hearing the game, even with Bryan Hall screaming away.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
When I was a kid I would listen to Eskimo games on the radio at the lake and at 10:00 they would cut back the power and we would have a hard time hearing the game, even with Bryan Hall screaming away.
Some people would have been happy about that. :laugh:

I hear what you're saying. I had a job back in the day that had me driving around the province.
In the spring (as the days grew longer) I could listen to Oilers games from the East coast with no issue. Didnt matter where I was in the province. Night was a different story.

Now with the channel change to 880 the signal wont carry near as far during the day. Many Albertans simply wont be able to listen in their car any more.
Its a shame and (with this bogus marketing) CHED is basically pissing on the listeners legs and telling them its raining.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Terrestrial radio is is in some ways in the same boat as sports francises named after groups of people. It was a cool idea in the 1920's and for a long time after that but it's antiquated now. Whether it's for better or worse, the time for streaming is here. Homes have smart devices and Bluetooth speakers that pick up IHeart, TuneIn, etc. and vehicles come equipped with those streaming services either ready to go or easily found & activated. Fully online Edmonton Sports Talk & podcasts like The Turf District or Got Yer Back are my local go-to's (through IHeart). It's also how I now listen to Sports 1440 (without the static) and 630 CHED (in my house) even though I still own radios that can pick them up. Streaming's super-easy once you let yourself get used to it.

Still handy for a lot of people with radios in their vehicles. Usually one less step to simply press the AM button. CHED has always had a great signal, pretty much no interference and doesn’t cut out. Can’t say the same for streaming, with buffering issues at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00