Podcast (Audio) Edmonton Sports Radio/Podcast Thread - Part 7

The best Edmonton sports radio show/podcast?

• Total voters

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
He use to be mean to Declan was just cringe worthy to me.

I generally don't catch of his show anyway, but I happened to be somewhere with it on so I listened.
I actually like Lowetide quite a bit, my biggest criticism is that he’s too mean to his producers. They’re young guys, maybe they need their ego checked here and there but give the kids a break man.

Reactions: oilers'72

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I can't believe some of you guys here interpret Lowetides banter/harmless teasing as him being mean lol.
Yeah...i dont see this (him being mean) as an issue. Its all in fun.

My issue with his show is just about how abundantly inane its become.
I used to really enjoy his content because his contributions were so solid but lately I just dont get a lot of value listening to him.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I actually like Lowetide quite a bit, my biggest criticism is that he’s too mean to his producers. They’re young guys, maybe they need their ego checked here and there but give the kids a break man.
I wish Lowetide had been meaner to Yaremchuk when he worked for LT, maybe that kid wouldn't be such an arrogant, insufferable dick now.

Oct 15, 2008
Trying to find a local radio show to listen too, Edmonton Sports talk was like grade 3s conversation that Nielson had at 1260 talking about SouthPark. 1440, I tried KK but he was talking basketball draft, which caused me to try Sportstalk. Then the I tried Lowetide, but he is a brutal fan boy. Now I'm listening to Gregor. I'm 50-50 with Gregor, some of the content I love but if you disagree with him, you are a dummy. Eventually turns me off.

Question, is there someone worth listening too around this town?
Not really. Sirius xm is much better and not much money.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Trying to find a local radio show to listen too, Edmonton Sports talk was like grade 3s conversation that Nielson had at 1260 talking about SouthPark. 1440, I tried KK but he was talking basketball draft, which caused me to try Sportstalk. Then the I tried Lowetide, but he is a brutal fan boy. Now I'm listening to Gregor. I'm 50-50 with Gregor, some of the content I love but if you disagree with him, you are a dummy. Eventually turns me off.

Question, is there someone worth listening too around this town?
When it comes to a daily show, I find Gregor the most interesting/well rounded. I think a lot of posters here think him having strong opinions are a negative but if you can accept that it's okay not to agree on every opinion someone has it becomes more enjoyable. There isn't going to be a broadcaster out there that is going to have an opinion that's going to match that of all their listeners.
He has a great selection of guests from other NHL teams and around the league and his conversations with Spector are usually worth a listen.

I find Stauffer too biased and repetitive, Lowetide too boring, and that Nielsen station too immature/annoying.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I wish Lowetide had been meaner to Yaremchuk when he worked for LT, maybe that kid wouldn't be such an arrogant, insufferable dick now.
That’s weird, I find Yaremchuk one of the better guys to listen too. I love reading Lowetide but as far as listening goes I could never get into it.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Not really. Sirius xm is much better and not much money.
I have Sirius too, listen to that while I'm drive mostly. Sports stations the most. NHL and NFL networks the most. Sports grid, Infinity, NBC sports, and some Mad Dog keep me busy but there isn't much for the local other than done Oilers.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
When it comes to a daily show, I find Gregor the most interesting/well rounded. I think a lot of posters here think him having strong opinions are a negative but if you can accept that it's okay not to agree on every opinion someone has it becomes more enjoyable. There isn't going to be a broadcaster out there that is going to have an opinion that's going to match that of all their listeners.
He has a great selection of guests from other NHL teams and around the league and his conversations with Spector are usually worth a listen.

I find Stauffer too biased and repetitive, Lowetide too boring, and that Nielsen station too immature/annoying.
Been listening to Karius a little bit more, he is getting better, nothing special but has some different guests. He could probably drop Fuhr as he is a broken record.

I'm 50/50 with Gregor mainly due to his rants. He gets on his soapbox and can't stop himself. I change the channel as it's irritating. Probably listen to him the most locally. But he can't carry four hours, only when he had Strudwick did it help.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Been listening to Karius a little bit more, he is getting better, nothing special but has some different guests. He could probably drop Fuhr as he is a broken record.

I'm 50/50 with Gregor mainly due to his rants. He gets on his soapbox and can't stop himself. I change the channel as it's irritating. Probably listen to him the most locally. But he can't carry four hours, only when he had Strudwick did it help.
Karius is getting better but he could use a full time co-host to help him out. His guest hosts are awful. Zzzzlemko, Lori Anne Snoozer, Fuhr etc are all dry and boring.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Karius is getting better but he could use a full time co-host to help him out. His guest hosts are awful. Zzzzlemko, Lori Anne Snoozer, Fuhr etc are all dry and boring.
I agree Karius needs a cohost, probably cant afford one.

Yeah, I'd like to see Ladi Smid a bit more on there. There's gotta be a good co-host somewhere. I remember Dave Lumley being hilarious on Stauffer's show years ago.
I like Smid too.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I agree Karius needs a cohost, probably cant afford one.

I like Smid too.
What Kevin Karius needs is a personality. Sorry, I know he'd been our Global guy forever, and he was good on TV - I met him once and he seems like a nice guy, but he doesn't say anything interesting, rarely has any opinions or information outside of what we already know, and is just overall too bland for radio. He's a "news" guy, and that's hard to take for hours on end. A co-host with a solid personality would be pretty amazing. Someone like Strudwick could go a long way to helping Karius, potentially - someone interesting and funny to play off of Karius' seriousness. Strudwick I found to be really good with Gregor - if there is chemistry with Karius (and if Strudwick wanted to get up early), it might be a good match.

If we could find a happy medium between what Karius is doing, and what Dustin Nielsen had done on 1260, I think that would be great.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What Kevin Karius needs is a personality. Sorry, I know he'd been our Global guy forever, and he was good on TV - I met him once and he seems like a nice guy, but he doesn't say anything interesting, rarely has any opinions or information outside of what we already know, and is just overall too bland for radio. He's a "news" guy, and that's hard to take for hours on end. A co-host with a solid personality would be pretty amazing. Someone like Strudwick could go a long way to helping Karius, potentially - someone interesting and funny to play off of Karius' seriousness. Strudwick I found to be really good with Gregor - if there is chemistry with Karius (and if Strudwick wanted to get up early), it might be a good match.

If we could find a happy medium between what Karius is doing, and what Dustin Nielsen had done on 1260, I think that would be great.
I don't know that Struds getting up is the issue as much as he got use to taking his kids to school and picking them up when 1260 went off the air.

Was his reason for not coming back full time to 1440.

I miss Struds and do enjoy his segments, but I don't see him coming back to a full time gig anytime soon.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

I feel KK had an arrogance to him, weak personality compared to all the ones before him on Global/ITV.

Study would be great but they probably don't have the budget for him. I had or have a hard time taking Dusty serious.

Yeah, its probably time for Ron to hang 'em up. He's had an amazing career, but he doesn't add anything anymore.
Never cared for Ron, ever.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Probably belongs here, but the Athletic is reporting that Marek got fired for tipping draft picks to his friend who would then post their social media before picks were actually made. Nevada gaming is investigating.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I feel KK had an arrogance to him, weak personality compared to all the ones before him on Global/ITV.

Study would be great but they probably don't have the budget for him. I had or have a hard time taking Dusty serious.

Never cared for Ron, ever.
Karius never hit the same for me on Global/ITV as Dutchy or Perry Solkowski did, those guys were gems. I can see how you could have seen some arrogance in him, his delivery has always been a bit more...uptight? Not sure if that's the best word for it, but he doesn't seem to have as much fun doing it as the broadcasters I really enjoy.

I agree on Dusty as well. I loved him on 1260 in the mornings on the drive to work on Oiler game days, but I don't think I would ever take him very seriously.

I was joking around about Struddy getting up too. Those morning am radio time slots would be a killer though, and I know I wouldn't take it if I were able to choose my work schedule and be available to take my kids to school every day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad