Edmonton Oilers (P2) vs LA Kings (P3) | LAK lead 1-0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Kings are a well balance team. Oilers...... have MacJesus.
Took King in 7... but IMO this might be the closest first round match up and will be nasty

Reactions: Beaushemp

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
D4ABF911-82FA-4EFF-887C-069114782BE8.png

The Athletic has the Oilers at nearly 93% of winning.

That said, while I voted for the Oilers in five, I like the Kings. Wish they would go back to the Gretzky era jerseys full time (that one is my all time favorite).

Good luck to Kings fans, especially @Raccoon Jesus who is a class act. I don’t really care for the pissing matches between the fan bases. I just hope for a good series, with Oilers winning of course.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
View attachment 689296

That said, while I voted for the Oilers in five, I like the Kings. Wish they would go back to the Gretzky era jerseys full time (that one is my all time favorite).

Good luck to Kings fans, especially @Raccoon Jesus who is a class act. I don’t really care for the pissing matches between the fan bases. I just hope for a good series, with Oilers winning of course.
So refreshing to see a mature post on here. Thank you! Good luck.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
I’ve chosen Oilers in 5, however I’m surprised at the number of media that are on board.

Korpi can win a series on his own. While I think Ekholm was the single best move at the deadline, I thought LA getting Korpi and Grav was the best overall improvement by a team.

The regular season game with Edm/Columbus where Korpi stood on his head was eye opening. When LA picked him up it was pretty concerning.

The last two regular season games between the clubs showed Edm can play a patient game and they beat Korpi, but I’m getting flashbacks to the Winnipeg sweep and Helly stonewalling us.

Not as clear cut as “Edm on a roll, should be unstoppable” we’ve seen what can happen when a goalie goes ungodly.

Still think the Oilers prevail (like mentioned, I have them in 5) but it will be a very tight series. Much more so depending how good Korpi is.

Reactions: Lehnerd Skinnerd

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
This will be a close one and I think it comes down to goaltending/ who makes mistakes. whichever team doesn't bring their A+ game every night loses

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Hilarious that people think teams don't already try to. McDavid is far too quick and aware on the ice to get hit like this often. You start trying to run around like this and he'll embarrass you with the puck in your net. Players know that and they play scared shitless when he has the puck on his stick.
McDavid actually seems to struggle more with defensmen that are long lanky, good skaters, and play good positioning against him more then the ones that try to hit him. I believe there are some great clips of Daughty trying to be physical and looking like a goof

The "just hit him" approach is something McDavid's dealt with since he was like 14.
I honestly think he prefers it as it’s easier for him to make a move around the defenseman coming at him

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
View attachment 689296

I actually agree with all their reasoning and takes. I think if the Kings play literally anyone else it's a long series that favors the Kings. I just think they caught the Oilers at exactly the wrong time and they're my pick from the west to go to the final regardless of where the Kings were. I know that's not popular to say and we should show some faith in our team or whatever but we lost some of what made us strong and the OIlers are full steam ahead.

And cheers right bacK! Trying to stay out of the mud but we know these two teams will make it tough :laugh:

McDavid actually seems to struggle more with defensmen that are long lanky, good skaters, and play good positioning against him more then the ones that try to hit him. I believe there are some great clips of Daughty trying to be physical and looking like a goof

I honestly think he prefers it as it’s easier for him to make a move around the defenseman coming at him

It makes sense. Doughty does like to be aggressive, but he is one of the few in the league who has actually caught McDavid cleanly in open ice. I can't find the clip anymore but he actually flipped him.

Mikey as a counterbalance is great because he's that--lanky, patient, in fantastic position.

1681665457345.png

Will be interesting to see how they hold up. The X-Factor is Drew's hunger for the playoffs after missing last year.

I agree that McDavid thrives on that though. If you just play like Mikey more often does--just don't make an aggressive move to get out of the way, fine, hold the puck forever, just don't cut in here--it seems to work out better.

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton

Yep, that's how Toews and Makar defend him so well, just have the speed to defend him and remain in position with a good stick. If you try to do too much vs Mcdavid he will make you look stupid. You just have to play solid and simple defence.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Oilers fans are saying the same though

Not sure I understand your sentiment.

Having watched both coaches run the Oilers bench for years, I take Woody over McClellan every time.

Don't get me wrong, I think McClellan is a great coach. He's very good at building a team concept, creating a system the team can win with and be successful, creating buy in, and getting his team to execute that concept. Like elite in those aspects I'd say. But he's stubborn and doesn't change course, he just runs it back over and over again until the seasons over.

Woodcroft on the other hand is much more of a tinkerer/ problem solver. Always switching things up on the fly and sending different kinds of looks.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not sure I understand your sentiment.

Having watched both coaches run the Oilers bench for years, I take Woody over McClellan every time.

Don't get me wrong, I think McClellan is a great coach. He's very good at building a team concept, creating a system the team can win with and be successful, creating buy in, and getting his team to execute that concept. Like elite in those aspects I'd say. But he's stubborn and doesn't change course, he just runs it back over and over again until the seasons over.

Woodcroft on the other hand is much more of a tinkerer/ problem solver. Always switching things up on the fly and sending different kinds of looks.

Concur.

McLellan is absolutely excellent with concept and systems.

On gameday, though? I'm not certain I've seen anyone worse. Like, literally. At least as long as I've been following the Kings, 35 years.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Honestly idc what happens.

I'm just surprised that Edmonton is such a heavy favorite considering we were ahead of them in the standings 90% of the year.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I’ve chosen Oilers in 5, however I’m surprised at the number of media that are on board.

Korpi can win a series on his own. While I think Ekholm was the single best move at the deadline, I thought LA getting Korpi and Grav was the best overall improvement by a team.

The regular season game with Edm/Columbus where Korpi stood on his head was eye opening. When LA picked him up it was pretty concerning.

The last two regular season games between the clubs showed Edm can play a patient game and they beat Korpi, but I’m getting flashbacks to the Winnipeg sweep and Helly stonewalling us.

Not as clear cut as “Edm on a roll, should be unstoppable” we’ve seen what can happen when a goalie goes ungodly.

Still think the Oilers prevail (like mentioned, I have them in 5) but it will be a very tight series. Much more so depending how good Korpi is.
The last two games these two teams had LA had two pivotal offensive producers out and basically Anderson too. Oilers played well those games but I don’t think they are indicators of how the games will go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad