Edmonton Oilers (P2) vs LA Kings (P3) | LAK lead 1-0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Mickey Mantle has entered the chat
He was named to 20 All-Star Games, won a Gold Glove for his play in center field in 1962 and was a part of seven Yankees teams that won the World Series. He hit a record 18 home runs in his 12 appearances in the Fall Classic. Mantle was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1974.
Ya but he lost all the fights he was in

Plus Mikey =/= mickey

Reactions: capazzo

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The Kings just need someone to do this to McDavid.

So... let me get this straight...

Your goal is to turn the game into a street fight at 5on5 with a ton of special teams play? Against the Oilers best power play of all time and omnipresent functional team toughness? With this all time soft group of Kings?

That's a bold strategy Cotten.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
So... let me get this straight...

Your goal is to turn the game into a street fight at 5on5 with a ton of special teams play? Against the Oilers best power play of all time and omnipresent functional team toughness? With this all time soft group of Kings?

That's a bold strategy Cotten.
Speaking of soft, quite a handful of crybabies among the Edmonton fanbase don’t seem to be fans of physical hockey. I guess it’s dirty when someone touches one of their own, but it’s just hockey when an Oiler injures an opponent.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Speaking of soft, quite a handful of crybabies among the Edmonton fanbase don’t seem to be fans of physical hockey. I guess it’s dirty when someone touches one of their own, but it’s just hockey when an Oiler injures an opponent.

He literally said go ahead and physical, it may lead to PP opportunties. But you twisted it to be that he was crying about physical hockey?

The delusion lol. Im sure the OIlers would happily invite the physicality. Nurse, Kane, Desharnis, Kostin + the most lethal PP of all time. Go for it.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
As a Kings fan, I’d much rather lose with a healthy lineup, if that’s what’s going to happen. At least it gives you a chance to see where your team is at. Missing multiple key players two years in a row just sucks.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
As a Kings fan, I’d much rather lose with a healthy lineup, if that’s what’s going to happen. At least it gives you a chance to see where your team is at. Missing multiple key players two years in a row just sucks.
Quit making excuses, or something like that :sarcasm:

The Kings just need someone to do this to McDavid.

Playing McDavid hard with big clean hits is a good strategy, Edmonton isn’t overly physical and when they try to be usually Kane, Nurse and Desharnais start taking dumb penalties

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Kings in 7. One of the few upsets in round one.

Oilers are just not a complete enough team, and they rely too heavily on the PP. The playoff refs won't give out as many PP opportunities, and a vet team like LA knows how to limit their hooks and holds when it counts.
There could be an upset, but the Oilers are actually better than the Kings 5v5, and SH.

Reactions: nturn06

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
You're so bitter lol.

Maybe try respecting your opponent. That way if you beat them you actually accomplished something, and if they beat you you weren't beaten by "AHL trash". Talking down your opponent is seriously one of the dumbest things you can do.

The Kings are a really good team and we're going to be in tough to take them out. Their defensive game is very strong and they've got some real bright young players who will be looking to make a name for themselves.

See how easy that was?
I can't think of a single Oiler I have any respect for. I'm not going to lie and pretend otherwise.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Quit making excuses, or something like that :sarcasm:

Playing McDavid hard with big clean hits is a good strategy, Edmonton isn’t overly physical and when they try to be usually Kane, Nurse and Desharnais start taking dumb penalties

I think it's a decent strategy for one game to flip the script. Over 7 games that's a recipe for disaster for the Kings.

The Oilers are one of the most functionally tough teams in the league. Nurse plays 25 minutes a night. Kane plays 20 minutes a night. Desharnais and Kostin play 14 minutes a night. With Desharnais and nurse playing on different pairs, there is basically 21 minutes a night where there not on the ice, and Kostin and Kane both play left wing so there is only 26 minutes a night when they're both not on the ice. Basically that means one of those four is on the ice for like 12 minutes.

Five minute Max will be on the ice for only 5 minutes. Means either Kings functionally disable one of those 4 for 5 minutes allowing for 17 minutes of equal physicality and 43 minutes of the Oilers bring unequivocally together, or he's on the ice when they're not leading to Oilers bullying for 48 minutes, Kings bullying for 5 minutes, and 7 minutes of equal physicality.

As an Oilers fan I'm quite comfortable playing 7 games either way.

• Wow
Reactions: PuckG

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
While the depth is close, LA's top scorer would be 5th on the Oilers. There's no chance LA's top scorers out play Edmonton's, so the depth becomes that much more important. LA needs their bottom 6 to outproduce Edmonton's by a lot, because we already know Danault and Kopitar can't do a damn thing about McDavid (2ppg against LA last year in the playoffs).

LA will have to win on systems play and substantially better goaltending, basically.
While possible, the Oilers have been a better team then LA at 5v5, PK, and PP for the 2022-2023 season.

I would say system play actually heavily favors Edmonton.

But it's the playoffs, so who knows.

Reactions: soothsayer

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I think it's a decent strategy for one game to flip the script. Over 7 games that's a recipe for disaster for the Kings.

The Oilers are one of the most functionally tough teams in the league. Nurse plays 25 minutes a night. Kane plays 20 minutes a night. Desharnais and Kostin play 14 minutes a night. With Desharnais and nurse playing on different pairs, there is basically 21 minutes a night where there not on the ice, and Kostin and Kane both play left wing so there is only 26 minutes a night when they're both not on the ice. Basically that means one of those four is on the ice for like 12 minutes.

Five minute Max will be on the ice for only 5 minutes. Means either Kings functionally disable one of those 4 for 5 minutes allowing for 17 minutes of equal physicality and 43 minutes of the Oilers bring unequivocally together, or he's on the ice when they're not leading to Oilers bullying for 48 minutes, Kings bullying for 5 minutes, and 7 minutes of equal physicality.

As an Oilers fan I'm quite comfortable playing 7 games either way.
It’s only an issue if LA starts taking penalties, as I mentioned Edmontons toughness really isn’t something to worry about. When they start running around they usually take pretty dumb penalties. Mentally it’s easy to get them heated

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Kings are the hottest team coming into the playoffs. Kings in 4
? Oilers has bes winning % since the TDL do they not?
Both teams are playing very good hockey right now . I will be a very fun series to watch .
Its insane how almost all the 1sr round series are going to or at least shoild be epic battles between two evenl matched teams.
Leafs Lightning
Devils Rangers
Stars Wild
Are all going to be bloodbaths .
Even the division champs vs. WC2 games will be interesting .

I have zero confidence in calling most of the 1sr round . No way I’d put big money down on anyone (if I had big money lol)
My guess , Oilers in 7.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Korpisalo has been a pain in the ass for Edmonton on more than one occasion and Skinner has had a solid season he is still a rookie and has had a few rookie moments throughout the year.. so to me that is the chance the kings have. Skaters the Oilers should carry this series pretty routinely, kings will try and make it a low event series but if there's a mismatch in goaltending theater is when it is up in the air because every chance becomes that much more meaningful.
Korpisalo had 2 good games and 1 bad one this year against Edmonton. His career stats against Edmonton are poor.

He's been a solid goalie this year, but I don't buy the narrative that he has Edmonton's number.

Reactions: capazzo

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I fully recommend L.A. try to hit McDavid like that at every opportunity.
Hilarious that people think teams don't already try to. McDavid is far too quick and aware on the ice to get hit like this often. You start trying to run around like this and he'll embarrass you with the puck in your net. Players know that and they play scared shitless when he has the puck on his stick.

dwonger

Feb 25, 2023
For all these delusional people saying Kings in 5 or whatever, put your money where your mouth is then and put some big money down on them to win the series. They are massive underdogs almost as much as the Panthers.

Go get that free money.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings are good team when healthy, now thats not the case...if true that Fiala, Vilardi will play injured, im not giving them more than 2 games.

Yeah, the general strategy of Kopitar/Danault lines holding serve or going -1/2 vs. the Oilers top six and then letting Fiala and Vilardi/Kaliyev Grundstrom JAD run amok isn't going to happen. Which is why you likely saw those two games of 'trap and pray' from the Kings at the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad