Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I was more referring to their never-die attitude and ability to come back in games. They trailed a lot, but always made it interesting with some late-game surges (game 6 being the exception).

Or do you take exception to that notion too?
Game 7 they were a flat tire for 53 minutes, until the Oilers (McLeod) gifted them a goal.... flat tire in a win or be done game.

And while I agree their attitude brought them back in many games, it also speaks volumes to how bad they often were for much of the game, doesn't it?

Reactions: PuckG

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Agreed. Tocchet got outcoached in games 6 & 7.

Why would he put Mikheyev who was easily the Canucks worst forward in the playoffs in that spot? He was scratched in game 5 and the Canucks played amazing without him. He has 1 goal in his last 60 games and Tocchet puts him with Miller lol. When Tocchet finally moved up Pettersson to play with Miller and put Di Giuseppe in Pettersson’s old spot and stapled Mikheyev to the 4th line the Canucks immediately started playing much better, do bad it took until the 3rd period for the light bulb to turn on. Canuck Nation was losing their shit when they saw the lines without Boeser lol.

One of the things which very few people talked about is Knob reaction to the Nucks second goal in game 7...He simply called a time-out, was very cool and calmed everyone down... Everything is fine....

I think that without this, the Nucks would had tied it. If I am not mistaken, in the 4:30 after the timeout, Skinner had to make 0 saves....

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
One of the things which very few people talked about is Knob reaction to the Nucks second goal in game 7...He simply called a time-out, was very cool and calmed everyone down... Everything is fine....

I think that without this, the Nucks would had tied it. If I am not mistaken, in the 4:30 after the timeout, Skinner had to make 0 saves....

Oilers definitely needed that time out, they calmed down after that. Everyone mentioned the Oilers terrible defence but they clogged up the shooting lanes and had a ton of blocked shots. The Canucks actually had more possession time which is probably surprising to most given the shot disparity, Oilers did a great job at taking away shooting lanes.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers definitely needed that time out, they calmed down after that. Everyone mentioned the Oilers terrible defence but they clogged up the shooting lanes and had a ton of blocked shots. The Canucks actually had more possession time which is probably surprising to most given the shot disparity, Oilers did a great job at taking away shooting lanes.
The Oilers played zone D masterfully that game. They allowed a lot of perimeter passing and picked off everything dangerous, for most of the game

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Game 7 they were a flat tire for 53 minutes, until the Oilers (McLeod) gifted them a goal.... flat tire in a win or be done game.

And while I agree their attitude brought them back in many games, it also speaks volumes to how bad they often were for much of the game, doesn't it?
I suppose. But I'd rather give credit where credit is due; I don't think the Canucks were particularly bad, just that they were up against a good (better) team.

Reactions: Dieseloil

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

Thats no way to talk about your divisional superiors

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
I enjoyed them hazing Skinner when their team had 4 shots, 0 goals and they couldnt even enter the offensive zone

i was kind of surprised we didnt return the favour in Edmonton but maybe people didnt know how to pronounce Silovs' name :laugh:

we gave it to Talbot pretty good

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
the question now is whether or not the canucks make the playoffs next year.
The main reason they missed in 2022/23 was because of a long term Demko injury. But now there's Silovs and Demko. The Canucks had four 30 goal scorers that year. More than 2024.

Im curious how many division winners end up missing the playoffs the next year.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The main reason they missed in 2022/23 was because of a long term Demko injury. But now there's Silovs and Demko. The Canucks had four 30 goal scorers that year. More than 2024.

If they don't sign their UFA's or adaquate replacements it could be a long year for them. Im interested in what the D is going to look like next year. The good year they had means $$$$ for them

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I remember that thread vividly.lol

Plus, all the threads that opened up when we were losing to everyone and in dead last... Bouch for a 3rd, Drai for Werenski, some would take a ´flyer'on Bouch, McLeod for a 7th. I seem to recall Montebault being a key piece in a McDavid trade too.lol Also, McDrai will be gone soon. It was amazing stuff!
It;s amazing how out-to-lunch posters are on evaluating talent, I have to laugh at all who put Bouchard way at the bottom the usual suspects of course

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Calgary did it, Vegas was flirting with it.

Reactions: Zenos

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
If they don't sign their UFA's or adaquate replacements it could be a long year for them. Im interested in what the D is going to look like next year. The good year they had means $$$$ for them
The D was fixed with Hronek and Saucy. Hronek is an RFA and will he signed. Myers 6 million is off the books and will be spent on Zadorov. So that leaves one player to acquire.

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
The amount of cockiness from oilers fan when their team just escaped vs a banged up Canucks team with some key injuries is comical. Once boeser was injured I accepted that they probably lose, how many teams make a deep run with their number 1 goalie and leading goal scorer out? I can’t really recall any

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
It was a fun series but let's never do it again. Playing a rival in the playoffs is too stressful.

Silovs was impressive and Miller and Garland are gamers but felt the Oilers controlled play for most of the series and deserved to win. The Oilers top guys are just much better than the Canuck top guys. Not really sure what Pettersson was doing. Hughes is very dynamic but was clearly injured. Will always be a concern going through the playoff grind at his size.
Id love a rematch next year, was fun as hell

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I enjoyed them hazing Skinner when their team had 4 shots, 0 goals and they couldnt even enter the offensive zone

i was kind of surprised we didnt return the favour in Edmonton but maybe people didnt know how to pronounce Silovs' name :laugh:

we gave it to Talbot pretty good
The funniest was in the 3rd period of Game 7, the Arena drum is going trying to get a Lets Go chant going, but all you can hear is drums and slight grumbles from the crowd.

• Haha
Reactions: sepHF

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Canucks could have beat the Oilers but the news of Boeser being out due to blood clot was a major shock to the team similar to Nishushkin being taken out from Avs roster due to substance abuse. The team is both psychollogically and skill wise affected big time. Imagine your top playoff scorer miss the whole playoffs. I know the next man mentality talk but reality is that the team is affected and has a lower chance to win a cup.
So the Canucks were too mentally weak to win, makes sense they lost to a better team.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020

Good to calm down, yep

Also often what's under looked at is you kill the momentum the opponent created for themselves. Next shift doesn't lead to the same intensity that builded up.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Tocchett did fantastic job, and Canucks have good alternative to Demko to reduce his workload.

Series certainly was better than the Oilers - Flames spanking.

So.... Flames suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad