Proposal: Edmonton - Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
You did see the "retained 2M"? At that price, Petry fetches way more.
Don't see the Habs retaining 2M over 4 years. It prevents you from retaining when trading your rentals with retention and prevents you from getting additional picks by taking cap dumps while you're rebuilding. Also with Price's and Weber's contracts MTL is in a peculiar situation for a rebuilding team...

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
And this was before that turdrrible contract

Stop moving the goal posts. You specifically called out that Petry would have been the Oilers best d-man last year and when proven wrong, you're jumping to his contract. His contract, kicking in next year, has nothing to do with the fact that he was better than Petry last year and better than Petry this year.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Not? Cheaper, better 200ft, produces more, RFA etc. He and Toffoli actually are the only bright spots in Montreal this season. Go check his underlying stats and charts and it should be quite clear he is heads and shoulders better than Foegele, who has regressed for 3yrs now.

Lehkonen has better underlying defensive numbers. That's true.

But "produces more"? Based on what? They are both demonstrated to be 30 point wingers. Over the last 4 years, one guy has Pts/60 of 1.1 to 2.1 and another guy has Pts/60 of 1.1 to 1.9. In terms of on-ice contributions, one guy has 1.5 to 3.2 and the other has 1.8 to 3.0.

I don't know what your "charts" are telling you, but take a look at the raw data rather than someone else's extraction and tell me what you see. I see two nearly identical 25 & 26 year old wingers in terms of production, where one guy is pretty clearly a better defensive player.

That's worth something for sure, they aren't quite equal.

It isn't worth a first, or a Holloway. And the gap between Barrie and Petry right now isn't worth a 1st or a Holloway either. (not to mention, as others have shared, he would NEVER come back to Edmonton)

Combined, the difference between Petry vs Barrie and Lehkonen vs Foegele would be worth a 1st. Leave Holloway out of it.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You gotta give to get something back. But I must agree (as a hab's fan). Trading Holloway and a 1st for Petry and Lekhnonen would be an overpayment for Edmonton.

Though Edmonton will need to give up grade A prospects (+ picks) to fix the huge gaps in the team...IMO.

Edmonton MUST keep it's top near-term prospects and trade 1sts/2nds, etc instead. The team needs cheap ELC talent in the next 4 years in order to compete. The priority must be to win a cup before McDrai are up for contract (notice I don't discount that they may stick)... and the play is to sacrifice the mid-long term future to do it. Short term futures are required in Edmonton.

Also "huge gaps"? There are three gaps:
1) #1 goalie
2) #2 or 3 defenseman
3) #top 6 winger (presently filled by Kane, but only short term)

We can easily fill one, or even two of those in any given year with a rental. We must solidify one big gap this summer, and another one the summer after. That means contending next year will require an expensive Trade Deadline, but contending the year after will be doable. And in year 3 & 4 we have a lot of cap off the books and hopefully guys like Holloway, Broberg, etc still on ELCs.

This year will be tough (but Kane really helps), but it gets easier with time and patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad