Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is the scary thing for me. Even if the Esks figured out what they were doing wrong and fix the issue I see two scenarios playing out

1. CGY is prepared for it as they already know what works against the Esks, so they are already coming up with a plan B
or
2. We actually get a couple red zone td's in the first half only to see CGY make adjustments and us completely fall flat in the 2nd half.

Absolutely.
The bottom line here is that we are all expecting Maas to out coach the other teams HC.
I am not at all confident that will happen any time soon.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Running game works better in Redzone when you have a QB that is also a running threat. That way theres a lot of options to cover. The Esks are going to pass in redzone nearly every time, have no threat running, either RB or QB, and the passes are forced in.

Part of it personnel, but part of it is Harris executing poorly in redzone. You can see it from himself, how many times he's pointing at himself for a poor play in the redzone. He's real frustrated in there and its getting worse.
While I don't disagree this really leads us to the other issue. The CFL and NFL have a lot of Qb's that aren't running threats. What needs to happen is the coaches need to adapt and come up with a game plan that works for them.

At the end of the day in any sport the coaches have to find a strategy or game plan that maximizes their team's potential. That really doesn't seem to be the case in Edmonton.

It is what it is at this point in the CFL. It's highly doubtful that some magical player is going to come in and save the offense. Harris is the guy for this season and next season you need to figure something out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
While I don't disagree this really leads us to the other issue. The CFL and NFL have a lot of Qb's that aren't running threats. What needs to happen is the coaches need to adapt and come up with a game plan that works for them.

At the end of the day in any sport the coaches have to find a strategy or game plan that maximizes their team's potential. That really doesn't seem to be the case in Edmonton.

It is what it is at this point in the CFL. It's highly doubtful that some magical player is going to come in and save the offense. Harris is the guy for this season and next season you need to figure something out.

I dont understand why they arent rolling Harris out on more passing plays. Its not like he has no mobility at all (he isnt David Archer).
At the very least it would change things up and give the defence something else to consider.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I dont understand why they arent rolling Harris out on more passing plays. Its not like he has no mobility at all (he isnt David Archer).
At the very least it would change things up and give the defence something else to consider.
I'd be trying some quick shovel passes or 3-4 yard plays and see if the receivers/backs can get some yacs.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

100% this. Next play in the red zone for Edmonton, I'd call a roll out/bootleg where if his primary options are covered run it. Even if it doesn't score or get the first down, it could start to soften up the pass coverage keeping the defense honest and that in turn could open up the pass.

Reactions: guymez

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
That was certainly on my mind when I was citing at mid season that 7/9 of our first games were against poor clubs with losing records and the last half of the season would be flipped with only 2/9 of our games against poor clubs.

To this point 5/6 of our wins come against Either BC or Toronto. That tells everything we need to know about this club. They are 1/5 against competent clubs.

Its only fortunate for the Esks that BC and Toronto have been gongshows. Without which we'd be talking about another legendary stinker season. At this rate, with the schedule looming, it will be difficult for the Esks to finish even .500

I think you are missing the Ottawa win (unless your skipping the Montreal win). Though many wouldn't currently consider Ottawa overly competent. That said they have more wins against non-BC/Toronto teams than Edmonton currently does. They haven't even played those teams yet.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Harris is playing all these games on two knee braces. he isn't that mobile. the way he's playing makes it look like he figures any hit could be his last.

In anycase with Harris like him or not we got this year and probably next season with him. I doubt he can play ball at all after that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think you are missing the Ottawa win (unless your skipping the Montreal win). Though many wouldn't currently consider Ottawa overly competent. That said they have more wins against non-BC/Toronto teams than Edmonton currently does. They haven't even played those teams yet.

Yeah you're right. The Esks and the CFL don't make it easy to scan the schedule. Formerly stuff like this would be formatted into simple win/loss listings with scores. Now they have to make fancy graphics, large fonts so that you scroll all over trying to see the results. Doesn't help either they don't put a W or L on any of them, you have to scan score in each case while tabulating. I mistakenly included one preseason game win over BC. So that in regular season our Wins are 2 against Toronto, 2 against BC, 1 against Montreal who were lousy at the time, and 1 against Ottawa. Still the pattern holds clear that this team seems incapable of beating any good club. We have to if we're going to hang around.

Reactions: bone

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This is the scary thing for me. Even if the Esks figured out what they were doing wrong and fix the issue I see two scenarios playing out

1. CGY is prepared for it as they already know what works against the Esks, so they are already coming up with a plan B
or
2. We actually get a couple red zone td's in the first half only to see CGY make adjustments and us completely fall flat in the 2nd half.
I'll go with option B, as historically, it tends to play out as that. Maas will be unable to counter with any of, or the proper adjustments on his own.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'll go with option B, as historically, it tends to play out as that. Maas will be unable to counter with any of, or the proper adjustments on his own.

Lolley can win this game for the Esks...that is their only chance IMO. They need to do something they werent able to do at all in the LDC.... pressure Bo.

If the Esks win it will be on the backs of the defence.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I see Colq is back on the 6 game injured reserve list. I guess we'll have to put the guy in a glass bubble to keep him healthy. Its been very tough for the EE to find starting Canadian DB's with some durability.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I see Colq is back on the 6 game injured reserve list. I guess we'll have to put the guy in a glass bubble to keep him healthy. Its been very tough for the EE to find starting Canadian DB's with some durability.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. We can hope it's just part of Brock's game as he only 6-games players regardless of how long they'll be out, and Arjen returns after the bye, but reality is there is too much history building up to trust this guy to be a 15-18 game player, which you need in a starting national.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yeah, it's unfortunate. We can hope it's just part of Brock's game as he only 6-games players regardless of how long they'll be out, and Arjen returns after the bye, but reality is there is too much history building up to trust this guy to be a 15-18 game player, which you need in a starting national.

So what is the main advantage to "6 gaming" a player as opposed to the 1 game? It is a salary cap maneuver?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
So what is the main advantage to "6 gaming" a player as opposed to the 1 game? It is a salary cap maneuver?

I may have details a little bit off, but if they don't heal quick enough to return before the end of the 6-game stint, you get cap relief for that player's salary for 6 games. The disadvantage is they aren't even allowed to practice until after the 5th game.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think you can bring a guy back from the 6 game list any time you like but if you do then his entire time on the 6 game list counts against the cap.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think you can bring a guy back from the 6 game list any time you like but if you do then his entire time on the 6 game list counts against the cap.
Yes. That's correct. I think there is some kind of exemption early in the year for one or two instances, but don't know the details how it works.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think you can bring one, or maybe it's two, guys off the 6-game early without cap repercussions during the season. There's not really much sense in 6-gaming a guy if he isn't going to be gone for most of it though. If Colquhoun was only going to be out a week or two, I doubt they'd 6-game him, unless they're willing to burn one of those "free passes" (at more than halfway through the season, perhaps they are).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think you can bring one, or maybe it's two, guys off the 6-game early without cap repercussions during the season. There's not really much sense in 6-gaming a guy if he isn't going to be gone for most of it though. If Colquhoun was only going to be out a week or two, I doubt they'd 6-game him, unless they're willing to burn one of those "free passes" (at more than halfway through the season, perhaps they are).
Colquhoun is always hurt. Put him on the season IR and be done with it. Another Adam Konar type that just cannot stay in one piece. Ironically, Konar has played 10 games for the Lions this year. Due to go down soon.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Colquhoun is always hurt. Put him on the season IR and be done with it. Another Adam Konar type that just cannot stay in one piece. Ironically, Konar has played 10 games for the Lions this year. Due to go down soon.

Yup, as I recall you sensed that Colquhoun was going down this road, and sure enough. I agree; guys that can't stay on the field aren't worth it, harsh as it sounds. Every time we're about to finally get fully healthy in the secondary, somebody else goes down. And hence, Money Hunter lives to play another day. As he somehow has for two years.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Claybrooks just doesn't know what is going on.

Why not give up the single instead of starting inside you 10 yard line?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

An aside, but I'm surprised no sports leagues are signing with streaming services. I think a big league production like a major sports league would make a killing on Twitch.tv.

This is a relief to me because no TSN= no CFL.

The next step is to work on gate attendance and it starts right here in the igloo. There is much work to do in order to reverse the damage that has been incurred thru 15 years of management incompetence.

Idk, my entire generation literally doesn't own cable... I think they'd reach a wider audience streaming. The TV model is outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad