Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Absolutely nothing will happen until years end, not should it.

This team can still beat any team in the league if they play to their ability.

If they fold to the end of the season there will be changes but now is not the time. (imo)
I don’t think now will make much difference either. The coaching pool is shallower right now than I think it’s ever been. I don’t know how’d you find the right people to do it midseason. It needs to be done this November though. To be honest, it should have been done two November’s ago. I don’t know how anybody could have thought Maas had the potential to be a good coach after all we saw that year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I started calling out Harris last week and got some pushback. Crazy how much difference one week makes on consensus building lol.

Anyway, it’s up to Bianca tonight to make this weekend not be a total disaster for me sports-wise.

He has no cool under pressure in redzone, forces passes, throws the ball into bad areas with no pressure. its like its in his contract to not ever be hit. There should be a GVA stat in Football. Like everytime in redzone or scoring position he simply botches a play all on his own. How many times can a QB point to himself and still have much cred left?
Its half a season and I already can't stand him.

Somebody will come along and talk about all his excellent passing yds...

The only result that matters is points on the board. QB ratings mean dirt, always been my opinion.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He has no cool under pressure in redzone, forces passes, throws the ball into bad areas with no pressure. its like its in his contract to not ever be hit. There should be a GVA stat in Football. Like everytime in redzone or scoring position he simply botches a play all on his own. How many times can a QB point to himself and still have much cred left?

The only result that matters is points on the board. QB ratings mean dirt, always been my opinion.

It’s too bad this team hasn’t recruited a good QB since Masoli (and maybe Franklin). We used to recruit two or three promising QBs every two to three years. Lately there’s been a whole lotta nothing.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sadly the brainless decision by the CFL to implement a coaching salary cap has likely ruined any possibility of firing Maas in-season. But there are still ways to improve this team.

-Cut Gable. Complete and utter trash against anyone besides Toronto, Ottawa, or BC.

-Cut Hunter. Bonehead penalties, can't cover a tackling dummy. Calgary went after him again and again and again today, succeeding every single time.

-Pretty much anyone associated with special teams needs to go. The worst return unit in the league by a mile.

-Still waiting for Larry Dean's first tackle of the season. Hopefully we can cut him and bring in an NFL cut. Couldn't possibly get worse at the MLB position.

How is it that this defensive line cuts through people like Swiss cheese, but lo and behold, Bo-Levi maintains his perfect record of never being pressured one single time in his entire career by the Eskimos? We've probably played him what, 15 times now? Willing to bet we've sacked him maybe 3 times, ever.

At least I know not to waste my time and money on this team next Saturday. Was actually excited about this year's Rematch, glad this loss occurred now to set me straight. Another year flushed completely down the toilet. Ottawa still has 4 games left against Toronto and BC...we've got 5 almost-certain losses ahead of us with CGY, HAM x2, and SSK x2. This team may yet find a way to miss the playoffs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The source lady is the only thing good about those commercials.

That first one with Dutchy is pathetic. You'd think he paid for the commercial himself..
The creep factor in that commercial is unprecedented. He looks like the worst d bag ever. At first I was embarrassed for him thinking that was the look the Source was going for but Dan O’toole looks like a normal guy in his commercial. Maybe that’s just who Dutchy is now.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Yep, this drives me nuts. Passing yards is the most worthless stat in all of pro football. I always have a laugh when they talk about a QB potentially having a top-10 all-time passing yards season and then they show the list. Usually the team of said QB who had 5500+ passing yards finished 9-9 and didn't do jack shit in the playoffs. Harris and Mcleod Bethel Thompson have thrown for 400+ yards in losses repeatedly this year. Meanwhile, a team with 90 passing yards beat us last week because they ran the ball effectively.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sadly the brainless decision by the CFL to implement a coaching salary cap has likely ruined any possibility of firing Maas in-season. But there are still ways to improve this team.

-Cut Gable. Complete and utter trash against anyone besides Toronto, Ottawa, or BC.

-Cut Hunter. Bonehead penalties, can't cover a tackling dummy. Calgary went after him again and again and again today, succeeding every single time.

-Pretty much anyone associated with special teams needs to go. The worst return unit in the league by a mile.

-Still waiting for Larry Dean's first tackle of the season. Hopefully we can cut him and bring in an NFL cut. Couldn't possibly get worse at the MLB position.

How is it that this defensive line cuts through people like Swiss cheese, but lo and behold, Bo-Levi maintains his perfect record of never being pressured one single time in his entire career by the Eskimos? We've probably played him what, 15 times now? Willing to bet we've sacked him maybe 3 times, ever.

At least I know not to waste my time and money on this team next Saturday. Was actually excited about this year's Rematch, glad this loss occurred now to set me straight. Another year flushed completely down the toilet. Ottawa still has 4 games left against Toronto and BC...we've got 5 almost-certain losses ahead of us with CGY, HAM x2, and SSK x2. This team may yet find a way to miss the playoffs.

Well there was that one year where Chris Jones dominated BLM in pretty much every H2H matchup.

That was one thing about Jones. He got just as pissy as Maas when he lost but he would channel that anger into making sure he would get revenge the next time.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Well there was that one year where Chris Jones dominated BLM in pretty much every H2H matchup.

That was one thing about Jones. He got just as pissy as Maas when he lost but he would channel that anger into making sure he would get revenge the next time.

Only good coach we've had since Matthews. His offenses sucked, but those defenses were just nuts. Yeah, I think we went 3-1 against Calgary in the Grey Cup year. I think we have 4 other wins against them in this decade. Not even kidding with that guess.

Reactions: Cloned

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
people blaming Harris forgot how bad Reilly was in the bad half of last season, against quality teams....Reilly, and the team, were horrible after Labour day

the problems lie beyond just the QB IMO

What makes you think THIS team isn't headed in the exact same direction. Frankly I would be astounded if this club finished even .500 on the season given we're on the much tougher half of the schedule.

Reilly had several good seasons here and winning seasons. Reilly was at least capable of making big plays in important momens and segments of the game. At least he was.

Harris plays like he's scared to ever get hit, rushes everything, does not even let plays develop, and is even worse in scoring range.

Reilly at least had balls when he played here and was entertaining. This offense is so putridly boring its impossible to watch. I literally ff so I can see our D on the field again. Its the only part of the team I can like.

Finally, Reilly, last season, didn't have the benefit of a very good D that was giving him the ball back so efficiently.

Reactions: Cloned

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What makes you think THIS team isn't headed in the exact same direction. Frankly I would be astounded if this club finished even .500 on the season given we're on the much tougher half of the schedule.

Reilly had several good seasons here and winning seasons. Reilly was at least capable of making big plays in important momens and segments of the game. At least he was.

Harris plays like he's scared to ever get hit, rushes everything, does not even let plays develop, and is even worse in scoring range.

Reilly at least had balls when he played here and was entertaining. This offense is so putridly boring its impossible to watch. I literally ff so I can see our D on the field again. Its the only part of the team I can like.

Finally, Reilly, last season, didn't have the benefit of a very good D that was giving him the ball back so efficiently.
Reilly was a fantastic QB and Maas came in and ruined him...that's my point

Harris is more than serviceable and Maas is ruining him too

The Esks have enough talent on the team...I mean, they're getting in the redzone just fine...but the problems lie with coaching IMO

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
people blaming Harris forgot how bad Reilly was in the bad half of last season, against quality teams....Reilly, and the team, were horrible after Labour day

the problems lie beyond just the QB IMO

Yeah I haven't loved Harris in these losses by any means, but the scheming and total lack of a credible run game is equally, if not more, concerning to me.

Running an offense without a shred of creativity is just not fooling any decent coaching staff. Other teams are out there running jet sweeps, reverses, rolling out the QB, all sorts of shit to try and fool the defense. It doesn't always work, but at least the defense has to respect it might happen. We run Gable up the gut, dump it off to the 5th receiver, or run 12 yard curls against any defense that isn't the Argonauts.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Reilly was a fantastic QB and Maas came in and ruined him...that's my point

Harris is more than serviceable and Maas is ruining him too

The Esks have enough talent on the team...I mean, they're getting in the redzone just fine...but the problems lie with coaching IMO

I’m not going to excuse Maas, quite frankly he and Harris with Gable are the worst possible combination: inconsistent shoddy playcalling, tin man QB with no balls and a pretender RB who refuses to even live up to his moniker as a power back by driving the ball.

But let’s not pretend like Harris is doing himself any favours. He needs to stop being such a pansy out there, for lack of a better word.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I’m not going to excuse Maas, quite frankly he and Harris with Gable are the worst possible combination: inconsistent shoddy playcalling, tin man QB with no balls and a pretender RB who refuses to even live up to his moniker as a power back by driving the ball.

But let’s not pretend like Harris is doing himself any favours. He needs to stop being such a pansy out there, for lack of a better word.
Reilly was never considered a "pansy" here and he was terrible last year...especially against quality teams

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I started calling out Harris last week and got some pushback. Crazy how much difference one week makes on consensus building lol.

Anyway, it’s up to Bianca tonight to make this weekend not be a total disaster for me sports-wise.

Yes...you got push back (rightly so) because you are calling out the wrong person.
I really dont know how much clearer it could be that Maas is the problem here.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes...you got push back (rightly so) because you are calling out the wrong person.

I think my posts in these threads pretty clearly indicate that I think both of them are a problem right now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think my posts in these threads pretty clearly indicate that I think both of them are a problem right now.

There is one common denominator with the Esks offence the past couple of seasons...Jason Maas.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
There is one common denominator with the Esks offence the past couple of seasons...Jason Maas.

And Harris has a history of poor redzone production and not producing much when it counts as well, predating his time with the Esks.

If we're going to use history as a judge we should hold both people to the same standard.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

How much longer do you think that this will be tolerated? Maas and Sunderland are tight so I wonder if it doesn't go on for another 3 years? A touch of sarcasm here obviously but I just don't get it--call me frustrated. The Calgary papers are predictably crowing this morning about the "dismantlement" of the Esks. How can you objectively argue with them?? We were never really in the game.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Enough with the negatives I guess....

I want to mention a few guys who (IMHO) came to play yesterday and did not let the club down.

Jones (best return game we have had in the last 3 seasons, forget about blockheads who ruined it for him), Adjei (congratulations Dad), Daniels (he has really come on of late) and Dean (at least in the first half).

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Reilly was never considered a "pansy" here and he was terrible last year...especially against quality teams

Reilly is old and battered and was suffering actual acknowledged panic attacks. I would highly suspect that could impact his play. He's done. Somebody that was a warrior within a highly physical position wherein health can end on any one play.

Theres a moment for everybody playing potentially dangerous physical sports, and positions that are highly dangerous, where you not only hear the footsteps they impact how you play. Reilly has finally reached that point. Harris as well reached that point before he was here.

Case in point. Streveler is willing to take punishment to make a play. 5-10 yrs from now he may not be. This variable alone can make huge difference. Its a calm under pressure that neither Reilly or Harris still possess. Football mayhem and punishment has taken that composure from them.

The whole problem with Harris' play is that his "getting the ball away quickly" tendency has been scouted. Wherein this was first respected, and "he was avoiding sacks" D's can scheme on this and now know that all he's interested in is quick strike stuff in traffic areas. The Stamps yesterday we're looking at jumping plays all day. They smelled the bacon and ate it up for fun.

One thing I'll state though is the play calling. The broadcasters for weeks have been able to guess what some of our plays mean. Who the play is going to, what play it is. Its like the Eskimos under Maas don't even bother to revise their audibles. They may as well print their playbook and distribute it to all others as a public service..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
At no point did I think the Eskimos were going to win a labor day game with this roster. The leadership and comradery is also falling apart. Even the D does not seem as tight and confident as it once did.

I was so disinterested in the match that I just enjoyed the day outside, good weather, sun shining, no way was I gonna sit indoors and watch another shit kicking. Which it was. The Esks were NEVER in this game.

lol that our production was even worse in 2nd half as Calgary was less intense and just running the clock out. Stamps called the horses out entirely in 4th quarter as they had already won.

Watched the PVR of the game yesterday before bed and fell asleep countless times. Should not have bothered ever waking up.

Other than the D theres just no reason to watch, period. Theres not one offensive player we have that I would bother with going forward. Not one. Only good players on offense are on the Oline.

Nice perfect tip up of an easy catch By Collins to gift the Stamps an interception. Mistakes like that occur far too frequently with this club and negate any plays made.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And Harris has a history of poor redzone production and not producing much when it counts as well, predating his time with the Esks.

If we're going to use history as a judge we should hold both people to the same standard.

Well...you have gone from 100% blaming Harris (that he should overcome aspects of his game at 33 years old) and absolving Maas to sharing the blame between Maas and Harris.

If you PVR'ed the game I suggest you watch it again. You will notice a couple of things.
First and foremost the Calgary defenders were well coached for the dink and dunk offence that Maas calls. They defended it perfectly. Often times Harris was having to find a receiver that didnt have a defender with inside position.
Secondly Maas rarely if ever tried to stretch the field.

Oh and BTW...Maas was the OC for most of the time Harris was in Ottawa as well.
It doesnt matter who the QB is if the OC doesnt understand how to call an offence that doesnt play to the strengths of the offence and doesnt stubbornly stick to a formula that doesnt work.
Expecting Harris to overcome the OC is ridiculous IMO.

Why Maas still has a job after the playoff debacle a few years a go is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad