Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Vasily Podkolzin for OTT '25 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Only way an OS happens is if McDavid doesn't sign, and at that point it doesn't matter anyways you just blow it up and get as much value as you can.

McDavid would have another year left, but an extremely high OS for Bouchard could complicate Draisaitl math in the short term. Draisaitl, Bouchard, Skinner and Ceci are the only ones coming off the books next season and a 12m OS to Bouch would need them to clear like 40m in space over one year.

• Haha
Reactions: Senor Catface

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
McDavid would have another year left, but an extremely high OS for Bouchard could complicate Draisaitl math in the short term. Draisaitl, Bouchard, Skinner and Ceci are the only ones coming off the books next season and a 12m OS to Bouch would need them to clear like 40m in space over one year.
And again, you completely ignore that an OS has to be signed by the player. Broberg != Bouchard.

Dakine

Jan 30, 2024
How is this helping the Oilers? Canucks got a 4th instead of losing him for nothing in waivers. Canuck fans seem more disappointed at the missed pick than the actual player.

Because the Oilers can now match Broberg, let Holloway walk, and become cap compliant by sending Kane to LTIR and sending Josh Brown down (which was always the plan). That gives the Oilers a 21 man roster at about 200K under the cap.

Matching Holloway as well, there was no way to run even a 20 man roster with the players they currently have. They would have still been 300K over the cap. They would have been forced into letting Broberg walk in that scenario.

This gives the Oilers flexibility for the cost of a 4th round pick, and time to figure out the roster as the season goes on. That does help them out.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I think it's a great move for Edmonton .. a cost controlled energy 4th liner, that is 23 and a former 10th OA pick with less than 200 GP.

Pod's upside may be limited now but at that age there is still room for some growth.
That’s exactly why it was bad for Vancouver, he has the kind of skill that can be a late bloomer.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Kind of makes sense all around. Vancouver probably would have lost him for nothing via waivers, Edmonton needed some youth.

Except, as a Canuck's fan, I would have rather have lost him for nothing to another team, if a different deal could not have been worked out, than to have helped give Edmonton a cheap depth player with upside for so little when they are up against it for cap purposes.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
And again, you completely ignore that an OS has to be signed by the player. Broberg != Bouchard.

I'm not ignoring it, I'm speculating on what could happen if the Oilers can't clear money to give him 12m+ like he could get with an offer sheet that only pays 1, 1, 2, 3.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm not ignoring it, I'm speculating on what could happen if the Oilers can't clear money to give him 12m+ like he could get with an offer sheet that only pays 1, 1, 2, 3.
Gladly take these picks for Bouchard and flip them for other players.
Lol @ Bouch being worth 12M+

And then had 4 goals in his last 60 NHL games. Not someone worth talking about really. He’s a bust until he’s not.
Sure, I don't think scoring would goals would be the ask from him in Edmonton.
He isn't getting any PP time not prime offensive zone starts.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
There are Oiler fans who think this too but I don't get it. He's a dman. They often take this development route. He's only gotten better and better. He hasn't earned this 4.6 yet but he easily could surpass that value from day 1 of this season based on the quality of his play in the playoffs.

We just went through this with Bouchard. At the same age Broberg was this season Oiler fans said he might bust. With some support from the team he rapidly increased in value. I'd argue this playoffs saw Broberg show he is ready to duplicate what Bouchard did

Bouchard's skill set is much, much more different than Broberg's. Being patient with a defenseman who's game is more so on the offensive side of the puck makes sense, but with Broberg you still see a lot of the same issues he had when he was drafted. He's 23, so time definitely is not on his side. Bouchard broke out at the age of 22, so again that's different. Broberg's breakout passes are still an adventure as he treats the puck like it's a bomb on his stick, and he does not like to skate the puck out of his own end. In his own end as well, he needs to get much better. The defensive IQ is lacking. He does have elite skating and so his ability to defend the rush is very good, but aside from that I just don't see it with him.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Might turn out to be a good replacement for Holloway. A good contract to work with as well.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Gladly take these picks for Bouchard and flip them for other players.
Lol @ Bouch being worth 12M+

Sure, I don't think scoring would goals would be the ask from him in Edmonton.
He isn't getting any PP time not prime offensive zone starts.

I'm curious if you're an Oilers fan, because it's crazy to suggest you'd rather have those picks over Bouchard. You'd rather have magic beans over a defenseman that is arguably top-5 in the NHL? Moving those picks for another defenseman won't get you a defenseman on Bouchard's level.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Because the Oilers can now match Broberg, let Holloway walk, and become cap compliant by sending Kane to LTIR and sending Josh Brown down (which was always the plan). That gives the Oilers a 21 man roster at about 200K under the cap.

Matching Holloway as well, there was no way to run even a 20 man roster with the players they currently have. They would have still been 300K over the cap. They would have been forced into letting Broberg walk in that scenario.

This gives the Oilers flexibility for the cost of a 4th round pick, and time to figure out the roster as the season goes on. That does help them out.
You are correct, but I consider helping the Oilers out is taking Cody Ceci for a 2nd, this is just a hockey trade.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The correct answer here is I hated when Canucks passed on Caufield for podz. He seemed like he could be a solid 4th liner maybe in the NHL but I'm not very high on him either, but not sure you get rid of him for a 4th and cap space....guess we will see...

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Does he PK? Hit/use his size?
He does hit, it's not devastating though, he was trending pretty well after his rookie season, and then he somehow regressed under Tocchet. The problem is between his ears. He has no confidence to make offensive plays, but is very conscientious defensively. If he gets past his "afraid to make a mistake" mindset, he will strive with his physical sturdiness. He has leadership qualities and is loved by all his teammates.

Reactions: LTIR

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Bouchard's skill set is much, much more different than Broberg's. Being patient with a defenseman who's game is more so on the offensive side of the puck makes sense, but with Broberg you still see a lot of the same issues he had when he was drafted. He's 23, so time definitely is not on his side. Bouchard broke out at the age of 22, so again that's different. Broberg's breakout passes are still an adventure as he treats the puck like it's a bomb on his stick, and he does not like to skate the puck out of his own end. In his own end as well, he needs to get much better. The defensive IQ is lacking. He does have elite skating and so his ability to defend the rush is very good, but aside from that I just don't see it with him.
This is all true except that bit about an offensive dman developing differently than a two way dman like Broberg. The age aligned season for Broberg was this past season. For Bouchard he looked lost and slow early in the season and broke out once he was forced up the lineup and given Ekholm as his partner. We had a plan like that for Broberg this past season but it was given no time because it happened early in the season when the whole team collapsed with a new system, and Broberg was a casualty of it. Imo his strong playoffs is a decent stand-in for Bouchard's breakout season. Not as good, but a strong indicator that he is putting it all together. This upcoming season was going to be Broberg's ascension year. A lot of Dmen don't put it together until they are 25. 23 is still young

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm curious if you're an Oilers fan, because it's crazy to suggest you'd rather have those picks over Bouchard. You'd rather have magic beans over a defenseman that is arguably top-5 in the NHL? Moving those picks for another defenseman won't get you a defenseman on Bouchard's level.
Top 5 in scoring sure but far from top 5Dman overall.

Love the bouch bombs but he isn't worth close to 12M. Tyson Barrie could be close to PPG Dman on that PP and Ekholm as his partner.

Reactions: Sunan

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
It's evident that Podkolzin demanded guaranteed roster minutes next year and the Canucks couldn't promise those. NHL or Russia for Podkolzin (no more AHL)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It's evident that Podkolzin demanded guaranteed roster minutes next year and the Canucks couldn't promise those.
I don't think the Oilers could guarantee him the same either.
He will have to earn a roster spot here as well even if we walk away from Holloway and with Kane on LTIR.

Room for only 2 of Jarventie, Savoie, Kane, Holloway, Lavoie and Podkolzin as 4th line wingers.

Reactions: capazzo

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
We'll have to see what happens w.r.t Draisaitl's contract, but the Oilers have a full year to get a long term deal done and there has been no indication from Bouchard's camp (like there was with Broberg) that he is unhappy or feels his role is not adequate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad