Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Tyson Barrie signs with the Oilers (1 year, $3.75M)

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Is there a fan base out there that is filled with as many trolls?

I don't think so.

It's very apparent that Leafs fans are upset that Oiler fans are happy with the deal
It’s not like your wrong
But keep in mind allot of us are happy Barrie is gone, not because he’s a bad player which he’s not but from the little that I know, the oilers are very much like the leafs in that both need defenders that can defend first
Unfortunately Barrie is not that

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It is a good contract. I say that as a Flames fan. Barrie is a good offensive defenseman.

It depends how he's utilized. If he plays the hard minutes Klefbom did he will not be successful. If he's deployed in offensive zone and used on the PP he will be very good for them.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It’s not like your wrong
But keep in mind allot of us are happy Barrie is gone, not because he’s a bad player which he’s not but from the little that I know, the oilers are very much like the leafs in that both need defenders that can defend first
I really don't know where this idea keeps coming from. Edmonton already has plenty of offensive blackholes and poor puck movers on the defence in Larsson and Russell. What they need is a highly skilled offensive D who is a great puck mover so that Darnell Nurse can stop trying to be an offensive D and focus on his defensive game. McDavid and Draisaitl both love to hit the 4th man trailer off the rush and unfortunately very few of our D can do anything with those grade A chances. Barrie can, and he can provide a lot more on the PP than Klefbom could.

He won't fill Klefbom's role if Klefbom is unable to play, but Klefbom had a pretty up and down season last year anyways. Its really odd that everyone keeps saying Edmonton needs defence first guys while they were 15th in GA/GP last year with 2 goalies that HF constantly claims are awful. Meanwhile they were also 15th in GF/GP and people just assume that because of McDavid and Drai they don't need offence. The truth is Edmonton needs offensive depth in their bottom 6 and offence from their blue line just as bad as they need to shore up their defensive play and goaltending.

Reactions: Prominence

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Man this thread is something.

From reading posters from the Oilers there happy to get an offensive minded dman whose had the 7th most points since 2013.
Noone is expecting a number 1 dman. We lost klefbom for the year so that's why most are excited to have another player in the fold to help.
We know hes a defensive liability and will have moments we're we are shaking our heads.

That said leaf's fans are going crazy trying to prove he's trash, garbage, the worst defensemen they've ever seen.

We got him for one year at 3.75m its it's a pretty good bet to help a dcore that lost there power play dman so he helps.

Leafs fan take a breath its okay hes off you're team now.
One breath in one breath out.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It’s not like your wrong
The Oilers don’t have a Morgan Reilly.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
It’s not like your wrong

Unfortunately we need both. Letting Benning go was a plus as is getting Barrie who provides an element we lacked. I’m not a fan of him. Was against trading for him when he was in Colorado and RNH was brought up. For his current prove it deal I’m happy with it.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Sometimes I wonder how many people here watch more than 30 games a year. So short sighted and narrow minded.

Edmonton probably needs one more dman with Klef out that is all around. That would be ideal. That is ON TOP of Barrie.

They did not need some Tanev like dman instead of Barrie.

All people spout off is Defense, defense, defense. If any of you watched more than 5 Oiler games, you would know that besides Ethan Bear, the Oilers did not have anybody head manning the puck up properly with any consistency. Missed passes, just lobbing the puck up in the air or off of the glass. Wasted possession. Dump it out and retreat back.

Let's talk o-zone. If you watched any Oiler games with any consistency or went through a GDT, see how much we b**** about our dmen in the offensive zone just throwing the puck back into the corners and not having any offensive instincts. Bear did good. Just having somebody who kind of knows what he is doing back there is huge for Edmonton.

Our forwards get so tired because they do more work than they should. You will see Drai go back behind the net or McDavid and bring the puck up. They shouldn't have to a lot. You see our forwards do so much work in the o zone just for a dman to f*** it all up with a muffin show or throwing it away.

Nurse is next to Bear. He skates the puck out nicely, but he always hangs onto it too long. Maybe he will learn to pass it up quicker.

A team can get better adding a guy like Barrie because they had nothing like him.

The PP. Watch it. Klefbom just played pass with McDavid or RNH or Drai. No shot because of his shoulder. Teams never head to worry about a point shot on our PP.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I expect Barrie to put up 50 points with the Oilers and then cash out to whoever can get him a long term deal.

He's got "Keith Yandle's career" written all over him.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Barrie will excel in oil Town... he easily nets 55 to 65 points... great signing , now if they can just get a goalie
I wanted them to land Markstrom, because he is really good. Koskinen hasn't proven to be able to play a full slate. That is the risk. If you look at their numbers 5 on 5, HD save %, etc, they are actually almost even. Need timely saves too. Markstrom provided that in spades.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I hope the Oilers falter and end up just outside of the playoffs, because F Edmonton. That said, I hope Barrie bounces back. He's a great player who just didn't fit in to the Leafs or find his groove.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The price is right I guess. Definitely hoping to rack up some PP points and get a better deal next year.

Tyson Barrie has the third worst HDCF% of all active defenseman to play at least 200 games in the last 5 seasons. Only worsted by Cody Ceci and Deryk Engelland. He doesn't create more chances than he gives up.

Despite his PMD label he really doesn't pass particularly well either. He's adept at skating it out and getting his shot through in the OZ. Not too sure how Tippett will utilize him but if he's a regular in the top 4 with Nurse or Russell that is going to be a rough time.

Reactions: JayE

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Good player, just don't expect him to play any defense or any meaningful minutes even strength. Never seen a guy more lost in man to man coverage in front of the net.

Bottom pairing D with a reliable LHD partner + powerplay time will set him up for success.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Good player, just don't expect him to play any defense or any meaningful minutes even strength. Never seen a guy more lost in man to man coverage in front of the net.

Bottom pairing D with a reliable LHD partner + powerplay time will set him up for success.
We have bear and Larsson for even strength. He'll probably get a push on ozone starts and playing around 1:30per 2:00 of a power play. Second unit doesn't really play much.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I've never been much of a fan of Barrie, even when his stock was a fair bit higher in Colorado. He's a guy who has a dangerous offensive skillset in the O-zone and he's good at skating the puck out (in a similar way to Nurse), but he's just plain bad defensively and doesn't have a very good first pass.

Now having said all that, he's clearly the best offensive Dman this team has had since Visnovsky and that is a big deal because a true offensive talent from defense will get a ton of points trailing the play with how much space McDavid clears out, to say nothing about adding more to an already lethal PP. This isn't a player that I'd really like in my lineup if I was building a SC contender unless I got him under 4 without term (which is what Holland did, so fair play). I don't think they'll keep him past this year (he'll likely put up big points and get a decent deal somewhere else), but he does fill a need in the interim at a reasonable price and without term, so I can't complain. It'll also show some fans the value of having a true offensive talent back on D (and hopefully Bouchard and to a lesser extent Bear can start to fill that offensive role in the longer term).

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
We have bear and Larsson for even strength. He'll probably get a push on ozone starts and playing around 1:30per 2:00 of a power play. Second unit doesn't really play much.

Yeah, if you think of him as filling Benning's role 5v5 and then taking pretty much all the PP minutes, it makes sense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Here's the article on top puck movers and transporters in the NHL

The NHL’s Top Puck Movers and Puck Transporters

This was written a month ago, but we were looking at it when there was a lot of buzz about OEL moving to Edmonton to see how good his puck movement numbers were. The thing that stood out to be even before Barrie signed, was Barrie's outlet pass completion rate and stretch pass completion rates are top end.

Barrie's outlet pass completion rate is 76.4%, which is top five for NHL d-men.

Barrie's stretch pass completion rate is 73.4% which again is very high, top ten in the NHL.

Darnell Nurse by comparison was poor in both of those metrics but is very, very good at puck transportation.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Here's the article on top puck movers and transporters in the NHL

The NHL’s Top Puck Movers and Puck Transporters

This was written a month ago, but we were looking at it when there was a lot of buzz about OEL moving to Edmonton to see how good his puck movement numbers were. The thing that stood out to be even before Barrie signed, was Barrie's outlet pass completion rate and stretch pass completion rates are top end.

Barrie's outlet pass completion rate is 76.4%, which is top five for NHL d-men.

Barrie's stretch pass completion rate is 73.4% which again is very high, top ten in the NHL.

Darnell Nurse by comparison was poor in both of those metrics but is very, very good at puck transportation.

Thank you for the Justin Holl propaganda (3rd in completion rate at 77.6%!)

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Good contract. Little to no risk to Edmonton at that price. Didn't work out in Toronto, but that was more on the coaches/system than on the player. He is who he is. Let him play to his strengths, and Edmonton will probably be happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad