Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Tyson Barrie signs with the Oilers (1 year, $3.75M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
He was awful last year, but definitely a good contract in hopes of him rebounding. Smart of Barrie, as he'll rack up a lot of PP points on playing with McDavid/Drais.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I wanted them to land Markstrom, because he is really good. Koskinen hasn't proven to be able to play a full slate. That is the risk. If you look at their numbers 5 on 5, HD save %, etc, they are actually almost even. Need timely saves too. Markstrom provided that in spades.
No goalie again means no success for oil town.. they are better... barrie a good addition but they don't have the goaltending to contend..

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
No goalie again means no success for oil town.. they are better... barrie a good addition but they don't have the goaltending to contend..
Not saying there cup contenders but they contended with that goaltending for the top spot in there division.
They had there flaws in the regular season but were a good team overall. I think people forget that and think this is the team from the year before as in bottom ten in the league.
Im a fan of the team no homer glasses. I just think there a good team to make the playoffs but not cup contenders.

Reactions: zar

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Ill give the oiler fans credit. Takes a lot of faith to believe you can turn dog shit into honey

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Is there a fan base out there that is filled with as many trolls?

I don't think so.

It's very apparent that Leafs fans are upset that Oiler fans are happy with the deal

I think this is a bit unfair... there have been quite a few Leaf posters saying that this was a solid signing and they think Barrie can turn it around.

All fan bases have trolls.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Good contract. Little to no risk to Edmonton at that price. Didn't work out in Toronto, but that was more on the coaches/system than on the player. He is who he is. Let him play to his strengths, and Edmonton will probably be happy.
So let him play like complete trash in his own end with zero consequences? As a fan of a division rival, I'm excited to get to play against this pylon more frequently.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Yeah no you're right he should be sent down to the AHL or better yet to Europe
Both places are more suitable for a defenseman who's shown a complete lack of motivation to learn how to actually play defense. Either learn in the AHL or go to Europe where they play a softer game.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Both places are more suitable for a defenseman who's shown a complete lack of motivation to learn how to actually play defense. Either learn in the AHL or go to Europe where they play a softer game.
Yeah your totally right no clue how these GMs let him play almost 600 games at .64 ppg and paid him 5-6 million dollars a year on top of that! Hopefully this is the last time this pylon plays in the league!

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Man you'd think he was there for years and stole a bunch of money. One year where he improved in the second half of the season like the rest of the team, once that toxic coach was dumped.

Another case of the player having moved on, but the fans not.

Seems like our management is content to try and win games 7-6. Bold strategy, let's see if it pays off.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Well yhe Leafs turned honey into dogshit....so here's to hoping the Oilers can undo that.
As a leafs fan i know what a crap defense looks like. If Barrie can help the oilers d, it says more about how bad it is relative to the leafs

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
He'll be great on the PP and in the offence zone, but not much else. If thats all you need from him and can shelter him on the 3rd pairing then he should do fine. Who knows, maybe paired with a guy like Nurse could bring out the best in him.

Its a 1 year deal, not really a huge risk really. We'll wait and see

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Hilarious seeing all the Leafs fans in here who a year ago were claiming they won the Kadri trade and also thought Kerfoot was basically as good as Kadri. Now after one season of watching Barrie they're the experts on him and act like people in the West didn't see him for years in Colorado. He's always had some defensive shortcomings but he's elite offensively and is exactly what Edmonton needs.
Uh....Ive been a avs fan and a leafs fan since i started hockey but no the general consensus knew what his weakness was, but he DIDNT perform at the PP as much as we wanted him to. That was the reason we let him go, and Kerfoot actually was more stable in the long run than he was and it was frustrating, even when we were injured in the backline and we gave him a solid chance to carry him, barrie didn't perform.. Sometimes it doesn't work, and at the end of the day, neither team has what the trade was mainly looking for...a cup. So who knows, what happens, because atm we got kerfoot prolly lining up vesey which may pay more dividends than anything.

He does need a solid anchor to help him on his defensive flaws so hopefully you guys can pair him properly because otherwise he'll struggle, sure he'll set you up on the PP but defensively it'll be scary because he loves to jump up and forget his place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad