Proposal: EDM - Trade the big 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Time to maximize value on the big 2 before they’re demanding a trade in the off-season

Trade 1

To NYR: Mcdavid

To EDM: Zibby, Lafrenniere, Kakko

Trade 2

To MIN: Draisaitl

To EDM: Ek, Dumba, Wallstedt

Reactions: Ben Grimm

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
Both those teams have zero incentive to change their entire team dynamic at this point. No opinion on value

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Time to maximize value on the big 2 before they’re demanding a trade in the off-season

Trade 1

Trade 2

a reasonable ask from NY in trade 1. Unfortunately, Zib has solid nmc + loves NY so likely no b'c he vetoes

just to examine a different tack, could we do something like Shesty + Strome + KAM + Nils L + Lindgren for McD + expiring Kosk [who would not be renewed]? No. b'c that would cover cap this yr, we would not have enuf next season due to Zib + Fox increases.
NY can't do anything creative until we are out from under Trouba's 8m and he is replaced by elc Schneider

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's probably easier to trade Draisaitl. Less cap that needs to come back and the team trading for him wouldn't have to completely empty their asset account to do it.

McDavid? You'd need multiple top assets (stars or star prospects) in addition to a bunch of salary coming back. Oilers would probably want someone on a long term deal that would want to play in Edmonton as well, to avoid a Carter in Columbus type of situation.

Just for fun.

To Colorado: McDavid, Ceci (assuming Oilers want to dump that contract)
To Oilers: Rantanen, Girard, Newhook, 2021 1st.

Hard to see Oilers being on the road to being a true contender with that trade and I'm not sure Avs could give up much more.

Reactions: ManByng

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It's probably easier to trade Draisaitl. Less cap that needs to come back and the team trading for him wouldn't have to completely empty their asset account to do it.

McDavid? You'd need multiple top assets (stars or star prospects) in addition to a bunch of salary coming back. Oilers would probably want someone on a long term deal that would want to play in Edmonton as well, to avoid a Carter in Columbus type of situation.

Just for fun.

To Colorado: McDavid, Ceci (assuming Oilers want to dump that contract)
To Oilers: Rantanen, Girard, Newhook, 2021 1st.

Hard to see Oilers being on the road to being a true contender with that trade and I'm not sure Avs could give up much more.
A
If Byram was healthy, he'd be in that trade for sure.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019

Trade 1

Trade 2

The best player in the world and Fox nor Igor are involved, yeah that makes a lot of sense from the oilers POV.

That wild offer is even worse.

The oilers aren't trading these guys but if they did, a team would need to start with their best or second best player.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If it comes down to it and McDavid says he wants out.... If I'm Edmonton I'm trying to trade him to Ottawa.

Stutzle + Sanderson + 2022 1st round pick.

Edmonton cant lose both guys, they have to get one to stay. Best way to convince Leon to stay is by getting him a high end winger to play with him, the fact Stutzle is a fellow German and likely they are good friends helps as well.

Sanderson gives them a top tier D prospect and a guy that can actually turn that Defense around very quickly. And then they also get a Top 5 pick in the draft this year, along with a Top 15 pick from there own picks.

Although tbh it might be worthwhile for the Oilers to use that 1st rounder they own at that point to unload some of the awful cap dumps they have right now.

Between the 12.5M going out from McDavid in such a trade, and freeing up ~6M by being able to dump Ceci and Kassian lets say.... Oilers could be looking at almost 20M in cap space then as well to bring in a Top 6 forward or two.

Edmonton drafts Nemec with the Sens pick and can build around:

Stutzle/Draisaitl/Puljujarvi
RNH/Holloway/Hyman

Sanderson/Nemec
Broberg/Bouchard

Still no idea what they do about the Goaltending though. To this day I have no clue why Edmonton passed on drafting Wallstedt in last years draft. He would literally solve the goaltending position for 15 years for that team.

On the flip side of this, Sens get the best player in the league and get to play him with an absolute menace on the wing in Brady Tkachuk. Honestly they probably still have to add another piece, maybe even two to get the deal done considering its McDavid. But they have so many good young players they could afford to lose another forward like Grieg or Sokolov.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Expletive deleted.

Trading the core isn't the issue. Firing the coach into the sun is step one. The next steps would involve a GM that isn't afraid to do something.

Somehow we went from having the worst GM in the league in Chiarelli that would pull the trigger on a trade at the drop of a dime to the worst GM in the league yet again who you couldn’t pay enough to pull the trigger on any trade. Both are beyond useless and Holland’s past off season was one of the worst I’ve seen in recent memory and it’s not even close.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
If it comes down to it and McDavid says he wants out.... If I'm Edmonton I'm trying to trade him to Ottawa.

Edmonton cant lose both guys, they have to get one to stay. Best way to convince Leon to stay is by getting him a high end winger to play with him, the fact Stutzle is a fellow German and likely they are good friends helps as well.

Sanderson gives them a top tier D prospect and a guy that can actually turn that Defense around very quickly. And then they also get a Top 5 pick in the draft this year, along with a Top 15 pick from there own picks.

Although tbh it might be worthwhile for the Oilers to use that 1st rounder they own at that point to unload some of the awful cap dumps they have right now.

Between the 12.5M going out from McDavid in such a trade, and freeing up ~6M by being able to dump Ceci and Kassian lets say.... Oilers could be looking at almost 20M in cap space then as well to bring in a Top 6 forward or two.

RNH/Holloway/Hyman

Sanderson/Nemec
Broberg/Bouchard

Still no idea what they do about the Goaltending though. To this day I have no clue why Edmonton passed on drafting Wallstedt in last years draft. He would literally solve the goaltending position for 15 years for that team.

On the flip side of this, Sens get the best player in the league and get to play him with an absolute menace on the wing in Brady Tkachuk. Honestly they probably still have to add another piece, maybe even two to get the deal done considering its McDavid. But they have so many good young players they could afford to lose another forward like Grieg or Sokolov.
This is the deal I've been thinking about, as an Oilers fan. Get's McDavid close to home, and I love the "Build around Drai" narrative.

Karmic justice will have Holland trading him to LA, with Doughty as the centerpiece though.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa

RNH/Holloway/Hyman

Sanderson/Nemec
Broberg/Bouchard

No thanks from a sens POV. Offer is what I’d expect but you’re forgetting how cheap Melnyk is and with McDavid’s salary being all tied into signing bonuses he’d probably suffer a massive heart attack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad