Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Paul Fischer, '28 3rd for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
They can add an 8.8M contract at the deadline with 50% retention if they accrue with the cap space they currently have. I know people want to act like Ceci is some solid Dman after everyone for years (including myself) shit on him for playing way over his head on the 2nd pairing, but the Oilers have plenty of cap to get a massive upgrade on him at the deadline.
Cap space is valuable if they are able to use it properly. I think they were smart not to match the offersheet and this is why i called Blues offersheet as a checkmate. Blues knew what they were doing and got an absolute steal for a 2nd and 3rd round pick which i wished Canucks would have done.
Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Broberg
Myers-Forbort

That would have been a pretty solid group imo. With Broberg having upside and being young and in the right age group.

The issue is that at 2 mils/year one should be able to get a D-man which is better than Vinny.
I really doubt that unless you are trading for one. Free agency means you are overpaying a bit to get the player.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Had we known we’d be losing broberg we would 100% pay Vinny the 2 mil. Him and Kulak were fantastic together. He only started to struggle when he was moved up to play with nurse because nurse and Ceci were just that bad. Knowing how the rest of the summer transpired I would take Vinny back in a heartbeat even at 2 mil.
Am expecting Deharnais to improve his play based on what you are saying. I guess his play declined when he was paired with another liability like Nurse or Ceci. I mean his play would probably be fine if he was paired with a solid dman like Soucy.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Cap space is valuable if they are able to use it properly. I think they were smart not to match the offersheet and this is why i called Blues offersheet as a checkmate. Blues knew what they were doing and got an absolute steal for a 2nd and 3rd round pick which i wished Canucks would have done.
Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Broberg
Myers-Forbort

That would have been a pretty solid group imo. With Broberg having upside and being young and in the right age group.
When Oiler fans put Broberg in the top 4 it was considered a joke. But when other teams do it it's consider a solid move??

Soucy - Broberg
Myers - Forbot

This is suppose to compete for a cup?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
When Oiler fans put Broberg in the top 4 it was considered a joke. But when other teams do it it's consider a solid move??

Soucy - Broberg
Myers - Forbot

This is suppose to compete for a cup?
Yeah, you forgot to add in Hughes and Hronek. That is still much better than Oilers defense right now and they are considered cup favorites :laugh:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Am expecting Deharnais to improve his play based on what you are saying. I guess his play declined when he was paired with another liability like Nurse or Ceci. I mean his play would probably be fine if he was paired with a solid dman like Soucy.
Part of it was nurse but part of it was just playing more minutes than he could handle. He’s a bottom pair guy. If he’s there he’s good.

Desharnais has one skill set that makes him valuable and it’s his ability to recognize the danger areas in the D zone and take up space to keep guys out of there. He’s below average at every other aspect of hockey so he can’t play too much.

He can play tough minutes though so if you find a partner that also can they can form a good bottom pair and take pressure off the top two pairs since they wouldn’t need to be sheltered.

I’m not sure you guys have a bottom pair D who skates as good as Kulak to make up for his inability to get around the ice to compliment him the same way. Who knows but he is a useful player and his skill set is even more valuable on the PK.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Maybe my Oilers can bring in some high-quality talent like Cal Foote to add some talent to the back end. Should fit in nicely with the current direction of the team.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I really doubt that unless you are trading for one. Free agency means you are overpaying a bit to get the player.
I would not be shocked if they don't trade for one, simply because it is not hard to find someone internal to replace Vinny. I liked the guy, but I also realized that he is nothing special, and 2 mils is way too much for him.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
But you do realize Broberg is only 23 years old, 6'4 212 lbs, and was an 8th overall pick??

We agree about vinnie, dont worry I don't think he is a world beater D-man. I think the biggest loss is going to be Broberg by far, I liked what I saw with him in the playoffs last year, and he is only going to improve. With the limited cap space the Oilers have it is not going to be easy to replace a guy like Ceci as well. You make it sound like it is as easy as making a phone call lol.

Being a lengthy D-man matters buddy. Were you born under a rock? Size matters a lot on defence in the NHL, esp when the games get tight in the playoffs.
lol VD has been exposed in every playoffs hes been apart of. Lengthy dmen matter people especially when players zoom past him on the outside because he cant pivot and keep up off the rush cause hes slow as f*** because of his size. You're delusional.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
lol VD has been exposed in every playoffs hes been apart of. Lengthy dmen matter people especially when players zoom past him on the outside because he cant pivot and keep up off the rush cause hes slow as f*** because of his size. You're delusional.
When did I say anything about VD being unreal. He was good on the PK! Tall D-men who can skate well will always be more coveted in the NHL pal. Small D-men like Quinn Hughes get exposed in the big games year after year!

And no one else will care because the Blues will still be an irrelevant franchise. :laugh:
An irrelevant franchise who has won a stanley cup in the past 10 years. ;)

Oilers fans are the last team in the NHL who should be calling any team irrelevant. They went through a decade of hell racking up first overall pick after another and still haven't been able to win a cup!

Top 10 picks that busted in the past 15 years: Yakupov(1), Puljujarvi(4), Broberg(8)-looking like it, Paajarvi(10)

I'd say the Oilers are the worst team at drafting in the show!

Last edited:

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
When did I say anything about VD being unreal. He was good on the PK! Tall D-men who can skate well will always be more coveted in the NHL pal. Small D-men like Quinn Hughes get exposed in the big games year after year!

An irrelevant franchise who has won a stanley cup in the past 10 years. ;)

Oilers fans are the last team in the NHL who should be calling any team irrelevant. They went through a decade of hell racking up first overall pick after another and still haven't been able to win a cup!

Top 10 picks that busted in the past 15 years: Yakupov(1), Puljujarvi(4), Broberg(8)-looking like it, Paajarvi(10)

I'd say the Oilers are the worst team at drafting in the show!
So exactly what did we lose than by swapping vd with stetcher? You literally said his size makes him somehow more valuable when he plays like a teddy bear for his size. Lol who in their right mind thinks vd skates well? You're just making shit up at this point.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
So exactly what did we lose than by swapping vd with stetcher? You literally said his size makes him somehow more valuable when he plays like a teddy bear for his size. Lol who in their right mind thinks vd skates well? You're just making shit up at this point.
VD played a role as a fill in guy who could log low minutes and play well on the PK. stecher is tiny and injuy prone. I love that the Oilers took on two of Arizona's worst D-men last year in Stecher and Brown.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Short offseason, cup final hangover, hard to focus on these games mentally. Hot and cold goaltending behind one of the worst defensive groups in the west. They will score a lot but they are going to make their goalie work for it.
And if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
And no one else will care because the Blues will still be an irrelevant franchise. :laugh:

I ask this seriously. What do you hope to gain by this? Its obviously not true. It makes you look worse than us. You aren't making Blues fans feel bad. You just come off as bitter.

Blues have the 5th most regular season wins of any team in the past decade. Played in the 6th most playoff games, are one of 8 teams to win the cup in the last decade. All of which is better than the Oilers in every category. How are we irrelevant? We've easily been one of the 10 best franchises the last decade by any metric that matters.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Having Vincent Desharnais in your top 4 when Oilers benched him (the suppose inferior Dcorp last playoffs) is so comical.
Desharnais is great when it comes to the grind of the season but in those last rounds of the playoffs you basically want all of your Dmen to be mobile puck movers, unless we are talking about an elite like Chara

Reactions: southsider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad