Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Paul Fischer, '28 3rd for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Does Edmonton have another move coming? Because I don’t understand shipping out Ceci and Broberg then?

I mean neither are great… but they have no one better coming up that I’m aware of?

The move would be a deadline move (Larsson or Connor Murphy), with the grind being getting to that 50+ game mark without the D completely melting as everyone is claiming will happen. But to those people I would say this - Knoblauch had Ty Emberson with him on the Hartford Wolfpack, so he knows the player well. If Knoblauch proved anything last year, it’s that he is a master chemist when it comes to lineup tweaks. He just knows the right buttons to push 99% of the time. Case in point was pulling Desharnais for Broberg. If he didn’t do that, all of these threads erase because we may have lost in the WCF and Broberg doesn’t get offersheeted because he had no exposure on the grand stage.

The other thing I’d say is, you don’t know how a Dman is going to perform when they are young and still learning the game until you see them with the right coach/D-partner/system/opportunity. Did anyone have Brock Faber pegged as a top pairing D in his first year? Or what about the effect Ekholm as a D partner and Coffey as a coach have on Bouchard.

Maybe I’m blindly optimistic, but I think Knoblach had a ton of input on that deal for Emberson, and I think it was with reason. Is it inconceivable that Emberson plays at a level that replaces Ceci? I think it’s very possible.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
The Blues’ pipeline is incredibly strong at left defense. Springfield has talent available as well. Blues seem to add two or three every year, with Lukas Fischer (no relation) and Colin Ralph both from this year’s 2nd round, Lindstein in R1 two drafts ago, Buchinger, Koromyslov etc.
Thank you sir. And f*** Armstrong and the Blues. No offence.
You should be mad at oil management.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Yes, He explained that Bowman specifically asked him to add the pieces in order to guarantee that he won't match:

In other words, he decided to gift the Oilers few more pieces so the Oilers do what they were planning to do regardless....

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Exactly my point. They are likely not going to be able to pull themselves out of the hole this time as well as they did

Because you are trying to keep Drai and McDavid? If they miss the playoffs next year Drai is likely gone and that means so is McDavid. They need to win this year. That is their worst defense I've seen them ice in at least 5-6 seasons. Particularly on the defensive end of the puck.

No chance they have a short offseason and are able to run the system 82+ games. They will struggle most likely again to start. I am saying once they recover I doubt they can go nearly perfect 2 years in a row and leave enough in the tank to win 4 rounds. I think 100 points for them is high end expectations.
They had 100+ points with Ethan Bear playing top 4 minutes and almost no real top 6 wingers in 2020.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
They lost Ceci, Broberg, Holloway, Deharnais, Foegele and kane will be on LTIR etc. While adding only injury prone Arvidsson, Skinner and re-signing Henrique. Not sure how they improved this offseason. They lost a lot of depth on a weak defense that has gotten worst. Maybe they are opening up the cap space for a big top 4 D or they want to open cap space for Drai. Losing 3 NHL caliber D will hurt even if they were not great dmen.
Two of the d-men they lost were their #6-7 and they would had not been #6 on many other teams last season. And they added few more depth pieced beyond the "only injury prone" ones, quite a few depth D-men who can easily step into #6-7 role and some young players, one of which can step in maybe.

Reactions: Senor Catface

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Short offseason, cup final hangover, hard to focus on these games mentally. Hot and cold goaltending behind one of the worst defensive groups in the west. They will score a lot but they are going to make their goalie work for it.
Lol @ 'cup final hangover'. It would be 'hunger' instead of hangover. Hangover is for the winner of finals.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Lol @ 'cup final hangover'. It would be 'hunger' instead of hangover. Hangover is for the winner of finals.

What is the difference? They went to game 7 of the finals, they have the same issues of short offseason and guys with injuries that prevent them from training and just focus on healing.

The hangover is from the fact they gave so much and played so much more than other teams. It leads to slow starts.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
What is the difference? They went to game 7 of the finals, they have the same issues of short offseason and guys with injuries that prevent them from training and just focus on healing.

The hangover is from the fact they gave so much and played so much more than other teams. It leads to slow starts.
You tell me. You mentioned short offseason and finals hangover as 2 separate items in your post.
Agree with short offseason..
Cup hangover is for players who feel they have reached the top fulfilling a dream and relax a bit more in the offseason. Doesn't happen with guys who got close but didn't make it. It makes them even hungrier.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
You tell me. You mentioned short offseason and finals hangover as 2 separate items in your post.
Agree with short offseason..
Cup hangover is for players who feel they have reached the top fulfilling a dream and relax a bit more in the offseason. Doesn't happen with guys who got close but didn't make it. It makes them even hungrier.

It is absolutely common to have slow starts for all the same reasons you said. Hard to give a crap about October 10th vs Nashville when you were in a cup final. Combine that with short offseason which means most guys were not able to train and only recover.

They get the worst of the cup hangover without the trophy to make it worth it

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
This entire situation is an example of how inefficient offer sheets are for everybody.

The problem is that a trade was probably never possible, because if you're St.Louis you tip off Edmonton. Or, you pay a 1st+ for Broberg.

Ultimately, by leveraging salary cap, St.Louis got Broberg, Holloway, and a 5th for a 2nd, three 3rds, and a C prospect. Edmonton would never have accepted Broberg+Holloway for those picks in a trade back in July. So it comes down to whether the extra cap St.Louis spent was worth the discount from whatever price they would have had to pay for Broberg.

If Holloway wasn't their primary target, they could possibly flip him next year to recoup some of those picks. If he has a decent season and cements himself as an NHL, they can get a 2nd or a few 3rd round picks for him.
I don't get this, seems pretty good for the players themselves, and St. Louis, who was able to leverage cap space and draft picks to upgrade their roster. As you say they aquired two players they never would have gotten for those picks in a trade.

Offer sheets are ultimately one tool like arbitration to make sure cost controlled RFAs are not totally up against the wall in negotiations and it worked here. The fear of offer sheets does a lot of the heavy lifting as well to make sure RFAs are not completely screwed as teams need to earmark space to sign them to reasonable deals in the offseason. The system really works quite well imo.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
In other words, he decided to gift the Oilers few more pieces so the Oilers do what they were planning to do regardless....

Not sure what you mean.

But Armstrong in his interview talked about having no certainty within those 7 days, before he finally hammered something out with Bowman the night before.

Whether or not the Oilers would match, only the Oil's FO would know at that time. And they certainly made it look like it was a possibility with the moves they were making. While Armstrong obviously played it like a master, Bowman also comes out looking pretty shrewd, being able to extract extra resource with a phantom threat. So he can still play the game well.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The move would be a deadline move (Larsson or Connor Murphy), with the grind being getting to that 50+ game mark without the D completely melting as everyone is claiming will happen. But to those people I would say this - Knoblauch had Ty Emberson with him on the Hartford Wolfpack, so he knows the player well. If Knoblauch proved anything last year, it’s that he is a master chemist when it comes to lineup tweaks. He just knows the right buttons to push 99% of the time. Case in point was pulling Desharnais for Broberg. If he didn’t do that, all of these threads erase because we may have lost in the WCF and Broberg doesn’t get offersheeted because he had no exposure on the grand stage.

The other thing I’d say is, you don’t know how a Dman is going to perform when they are young and still learning the game until you see them with the right coach/D-partner/system/opportunity. Did anyone have Brock Faber pegged as a top pairing D in his first year? Or what about the effect Ekholm as a D partner and Coffey as a coach have on Bouchard.

Maybe I’m blindly optimistic, but I think Knoblach had a ton of input on that deal for Emberson, and I think it was with reason. Is it inconceivable that Emberson plays at a level that replaces Ceci? I think it’s very possible.
Could be and makes sense.

I do think it’s unlikely that a 24yo with 30 NHL games and an unremarkable career in the minors ends up to even Ceci level, but it’s not impossible

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Could be and makes sense.

I do think it’s unlikely that a 24yo with 30 NHL games and an unremarkable career in the minors ends up to even Ceci level, but it’s not impossible

It’s fair perspective to bet against it, but we just watched a 23 yr old with 81 nhl regular season games (90% of which qualify as “unremarkable”) get paid like a veteran 2nd pair D man (granted he had an above average showing for a 10 game stretch on the games biggest stage).

it reeks of blind optimism on my part, but I just feel like Knoblauch moves the chess pieces like few have before.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Two of the d-men they lost were their #6-7 and they would had not been #6 on many other teams last season. And they added few more depth pieced beyond the "only injury prone" ones, quite a few depth D-men who can easily step into #6-7 role and some young players, one of which can step in maybe.
Ok but the ones added are not better than the ones they lost. I would take Ceci over that ebenstrom whatever guy they got. We shall see what happens but there are worst dmen than Ceci and Broberg out there, much worst ones like Stilman

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Ok but the ones added are not better than the ones they lost. I would take Ceci over that ebenstrom whatever guy they got. We shall see what happens but there are worst dmen than Ceci and Broberg out there, much worst ones like Stilman
Ceci was not our #6-7 last season, that role was filled for most of the season by Vinny Desharnais and AHL callups. In fact, for most of the last season our #7 D-man didn't even play, it was a warm body in the pressbox which is still with the team.. I would argue that the ones the Oilers signed are not much worse than what we had for that role last year.

So your comment that we lost , and I quote, "3 NHL caliber D" is very missleading, compared with last year we lost Ceci and couple easily replaceable D-man (and we did NOT trade Ceci because of the offershit).

Yes, I agree that Ceci cannot be replaced by what we had, but what about the other 2? I would think that at least the wam pressbox guy who suits up once every 10 games can be replaced, can't it?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Borgen will probably be better. Doesn't have a NTC, is cheaper meaning you can get him without retaining, and is a good puckmoving defensive player.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Are Oiler fans actually excited about Paul Fischer? LOL
Not really. He will be a trade chip most likely. USA born players tend to be allergic to Edmonton. Derek Ryan is pretty much the only one and even he grew up playing WHL

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Ceci was not our #6-7 last season, that role was filled for most of the season by Vinny Desharnais and AHL callups. In fact, for most of the last season our #7 D-man didn't even play, it was a warm body in the pressbox which is still with the team.. I would argue that the ones the Oilers signed are not much worse than what we had for that role last year.

So your comment that we lost , and I quote, "3 NHL caliber D" is very missleading, compared with last year we lost Ceci and couple easily replaceable D-man (and we did NOT trade Ceci because of the offershit).

Yes, I agree that Ceci cannot be replaced by what we had, but what about the other 2? I would think that at least the wam pressbox guy who suits up once every 10 games can be replaced, can't it?
Deharnais wasnt a warm pressbox guy until playoffs where Broberg came in. If he was that bad, Canucks would not have signed him

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Like most fans who don't watch the Sharks, I anticipate you haven't seen the kid play. I haven't either, but it's pretty bold to suggest that he isn't a good player when you haven't watched him play. The Oilers have a hole to fill, but having the cap space to accrue LTIR space will make it possible to add a better defenseman than Ceci at the deadline - or to bring him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad