Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Paul Fischer, '28 3rd for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Makes sense, curious to see what they do now.
They traded Ceci and let go of Broberg. I'm sure they have another deal for a defender.
Oilers have Ekholm, Nurse and Kulak for LD already. Broberg wasn't a regular NHLer last year. Ceci was a punching bag of these boards and everyone wanted him gone.
Oilers can go with the right side D of Bouchard, Stecher, Emerson and Brown to start the season and cruise to a 100pt+ season. They will add someone at trade deadline for playoffs.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Feels like a bit of a bluff from the Oilers. If they're willing to walk away from these players for a mediocre prospect and a 3rd 100 years from now, I really doubt they had any intention of matching.

As much as I hate it, I think the Oilers dealt with this whole situation pretty well. I guess it will come down to whether Holloway and Broberg are the real deal or not.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I guess it’s something. But it seems weak from the Oilers to say “we’ve made these moves so we can match Broberg, who is a key piece for us this year…unless you give us a 5th round college guy and a 3rd in 4 years”?

It’s hard to fathom that should be the difference between matching and not matching when you’ve already traded another blueliner who was getting top four minutes last year…seemingly to make the space to keep the other guy.

As a “threat” mechanism…I don’t see how the juice is worth the squeeze from the Oilers side.
Ceci is someone we didn't want anyways and was needing to be gone. The juice is always worth the squeeze. Rather get extra picks for making a good decision than Kyle Dubas school of, 'I don't want your 7th for a player I already lost'.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
1724165520506.jpeg

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My guess is the Oilers were 50/50 on matching one of the offer sheets and were in active discussion with STL on it, and at some point they agreed to incentivize no offer sheet with a marginal prospect and mid-round pick.

Maybe even just a good-faith offer by STL.

Reactions: blueswede22

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So do I understand this timeline and situation correctly:

1. STL offer sheets both Holloway and Broberg
2. EDM sweats it out trying to find a taker for Ceci or Kulak.
3. EDM pays a 3rd to SJS to take Ceci and that opens up just enough room to match either offer sheet but not both.
4. STL says "hey, we want both, we will give you Fischer and a 3rd to not match"
5. EDM agrees and doesn't match, STL gets both, EDM gets the draft picks.

Is that pretty much what happened here?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So... Edm gets a 3rd to take an unsigned 2023 5th round draft pick who is playing in the NCAA? So this is direct payment to not match (along with the 2nd and 3rd theyll receive for the offersheet).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So do I understand this timeline and situation correctly:

1. STL offer sheets both Holloway and Broberg
2. EDM sweats it out trying to find a taker for Ceci or Kulak.
3. EDM pays a 3rd to SJS to take Ceci and that opens up just enough room to match either offer sheet but not both.
4. STL says "hey, we want both, we will give you Fischer and a 3rd to not match"
5. EDM agrees and doesn't match, STL gets both, EDM gets the draft picks.

Is that pretty much what happened here?
Yeah so it basically becomes a trade for 2 RFAs that Edmonton probably couldn't keep both of and apparently believe that at least 1 of the 2 is internally replaceable.

Reactions: SEALBound

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Feels like a bit of a bluff from the Oilers. If they're willing to walk away from these players for a mediocre prospect and a 3rd 100 years from now, I really doubt they had any intention of matching.

As much as I hate it, I think the Oilers dealt with this whole situation pretty well. I guess it will come down to whether Holloway and Broberg are the real deal or not.

I like Broberg a lot more than Holloway . . . I don't have a dog in this fight

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If this deal was sweetener for Oilers to not match you can't really attack Bowman for taking it especially if he already had no plan to match

Gain another prospect and pick out of situation for bank

IMO Bowman handled this situation well

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I believe Blues were sitting on 49 contracts when you remove the juniors 18/19 year olds, so they had to part with somebody.

Reactions: hn777

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

They dealt with the aftermath fine I guess, but they're in this situation because they slacked on doing their business, could have signed both these players to literally half what they got if they were willing to move on from Ceci anyways. Broberg loss hurts imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad