Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJS] Cody Ceci & EDM 3rd '25 <--> Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It's tough to beat experience, and although Broberg very well COULD turn out to be a very good and valuable dman down the road, we are in a win now mode, and Broberg better find a few years experience awful quickly if this is to turn out.
Ceci was almost gone the past trade deadline but we couldn't find any trades to upgrade our RD. I thought he was a valuable player for the 3rd pairing and PK but he was as good as gone if someone better came along.

Reactions: Stoneman89

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I agree that the team hasn’t handled Brobergs development ideally but I also don’t think the situation is cut and dry. The team has been rounding into a Cup contender and as such if performances were similar between a rookie and a vet, they are likely to prefer veteran experience vs a green rookie. They’ve also been pretty fortunate to not have any substantial injuries on their blue line which while a good thing, further limited opportunities for Broberg, but he was in camp and started the year with the team and if he would of clearly outperformed a guy like Kulak then I’m sure they would of adjusted.

How they handled Broberg wasn’t ideal but that’s the reality of a team in a cup window, sometimes you have to prioritize what’s best for the team at that moment vs what’s best for an individual players development.
Other cup contenders had no problem giving young players a real shot. Colorado with Makar, Dallas with Johnston, Stankhoven, Harley, plus other teams in a contending window. It seems more like a Holland thing to not give young players chances.

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022
So if you believe Friedmans info about their ask then you just also believe him when he said that Brobergs side didn’t want to negotiate in season.

So let me ask you this, if you were Brobergs agent, the playoffs just ended, there is a week until free agency and you are aware that Blues GM has talked about using offer sheets and you know the Oilers are in a tough spot cap wise. At that point if your ask for the Oilers is 1.8M would you advise your client to sign that contract or would you tell him to wait until free agency starts to see if an offer sheet comes?
If I was asking the Oilers for 1.8x2 and they put it on the table yes I sign it. If they put 1.2 on the table no I don't. Maybe you drag it out to July 1st to see, but at the end of the day there is no way Broberg's agent Said hold out for a 4.5x2 offer. My belief is that Broberg asked for 1.8 and the Oilers were in around the 1 mil range.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I like that Emberson was waived by the Rags. The Rags are a dumb organization that doesn’t know how to put together a good playoff D-core.
He was acquired as a cap dump to flush Patrik Nemeth. Rangers right side d is Fox, Trouba, and really good young un Schneider. Leveraged his solid Hartford season into a waiver wire pick by the awful Sharks. Now acquired by Oilers in a cap related deal.

Oil have a donut at 2RD with three 3RD in Stetcher, Brown and Emberson. Giving Stetcher a 2x and Brown 3x year contracts it's clearly poison pill for waiver wire protection. Ability to move them both up and down. Emberson on an expiring deal likely a higher waiver threat.

Would seem Broberg or even Kulak to fill 2RD. But we wait out the offer sheet to find out.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Other cup contenders had no problem giving young players a real shot. Colorado with Makar, Dallas with Johnston, Stankhoven, Harley, plus other teams in a contending window. It seems more like a Holland thing to not give young players a shot.
Holland frequently spoke of over-ripening a player….letting them marinate longer.
It seems he didn’t have the nerve to play the young guys until it was painfully obvious they were beyond ready. In Broberg’s case, Holland committed a lot of his credibility to Broberg. Wouldn’t include him in good trades. Would talk about some distant point in time about “when he’s ready” when fans asked about all the PB time given to Broberg, etc.
Also, Holland saw that Woody wouldn’t play Broberg even when he was on the bench. Any excuse to sit him and he did. An awful coaching approach (did the same with Holloway).

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Other cup contenders had no problem giving young players a real shot. Colorado with Makar, Dallas with Johnston, Stankhoven, Harley, plus other teams in a contending window. It seems more like a Holland thing to not give young players chances.
The Oilers have been giving young players chances, it’s not like the Oilers have never called them up to play in the NHL. If the Oilers young guys had performed at the level of the guys you mentioned, they’d be in the NHL full stop.

Reactions: AM

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
The players aren't going to hold a grudge over someone signing the contract put in front of them. Can you imagine how much everyone would hate Nurse if that's what really happened?
You mean signing for another team? Many of the players have signed cost effective contracts to play on the oilers. What makes these guy different?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers have been giving young players chances, it’s not like the Oilers have never called them up to play in the NHL. If the Oilers young guys had performed at the level of the guys you mentioned, they’d be in the NHL full stop.
If you consider calling a guy up and playing him 3 minutes then benching him for a mistake then we've done that consistently. Broberg wasn't some 5th round pick. He was the #1 ranked Euro Dman going into the draft. He should have had extended looks in the top 4 playing 15+ a night by now. Colorado had Byram on their 3rd pairing as a rookie when they won the Cup. Edmonton just choose to not play Broberg until they had no choice.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Exhibit A: Evan Bouchard

Broberg could not grab a job even though he was gifted one. His inability to do that led to the need for both Kulak and Ekholm.

It’s only now that he shown progress.

Reactions: KlimasLoveChild

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You mean signing for another team? Many of the players have signed cost effective contracts to play on the oilers. What makes these guy different?
The fact that this is their first opportunity to make life changing money. The guys who took cost effective deals to sign here are still making comparable money (or more money) to what these two young guys signed. They've already had their big contracts and set themselves up for life.

Exhibit A: Evan Bouchard

Broberg could not grab a job even though he was gifted one. His inability to do that led to the need for both Kulak and Ekholm.

It’s only now that he shown progress.
That's a bit weird. Broberg wasn't ready for top pair minutes - he still isn't, and he shouldn't have been expected to. Kulak wasn't brought in because Broberg wasn't ready, he was brought in to be a steady depth defenseman with solid playoff play, on a team that needed steady defensive play.

Reactions: oilers'72

North

Jun 25, 2009
The fact that this is their first opportunity to make life changing money. The guys who took cost effective deals to sign here are still making comparable money (or more money) to what these two young guys signed. They've already had their big contracts and set themselves up for life.

That's a bit weird. Broberg wasn't ready for top pair minutes - he still isn't, and he shouldn't have been expected to. Kulak wasn't brought in because Broberg wasn't ready, he was brought in to be a steady depth defenseman with solid playoff play, on a team that needed steady defensive play.
He was extended though partly because Broberg just wasn’t ready.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If the team is going to match Broberg’s offer-sheet, I wonder, can they at least get some term on that deal?
That 2 year term is the worst part of that offer sheet.

That’s what makes me think Broberg has no future with the Oilers beyond that time even if they match now. If it was say five years you could bite the bullet and at least know you don’t need to worry about this guy for a while. Since it’s only 2 years they’ll be back at this again with him quickly. If a guy who hasn’t even earned a spot on an nhl roster yet is now worth 4.6 million, what’s he going to get paid in 2 years when he presumably has? This looks like a Darnell Nurse contract in the making. The Blues really boned us on this one.

In any event, to answer your question. The Oilers are matching this specific offer as is from the Blues or they are not. There is no tinkering to be done with it. I suspect the term of the deal was put in place intentionally by St. Louis to make matching it less attractive to Edmonton.

Reactions: McOilers97

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That 2 year term is the worst part of that offer sheet.

That’s what makes me think Broberg has no future with the Oilers beyond that time even if they match now. If it was say five years you could bite the bullet and at least know you don’t need to worry about this guy for a while. Since it’s only 2 years they’ll be back at this again with him quickly. If a guy who hasn’t even earned a spot on an nhl roster yet is now worth 4.6 million, what’s he going to get paid in 2 years when he presumably has? This looks like a Darnell Nurse contract in the making. The Blues really boned us on this one.

In any event, to answer your question. The Oilers are matching this specific offer as is from the Blues or they are not. There is no tinkering to be done with it. I suspect the term of the deal was put in place intentionally by St. Louis to make matching it less attractive to Edmonton.
I rather bite the bullet on a two year deal than five with Broberg at this point and those dollars.

He sucks you are massively pooched. He's any good you try sign him during year two if not deal him for whatever you can get at the trade deadline.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
If we don’t match Broberg, I could see signing Barrie for cheap, giving Emberson a shot with Nurse and moving Kulak at the deadline for an upgrade (using assets like our next 1st rounder, the 2nd from Broberg, Savoie, or O’Reilly).

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-Barrie

We are a good enough team that we can get away with taking a few gambles on the blueline as Ekholm, Bouchard, and Nurse will soak up a ton of minutes.

The downside of matching Broberg is it may really limit our ability to upgrade at the deadline if he’s not a legit top 4 guy.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

They can set themselves up somewhere else.

If we don’t match Broberg, I could see signing Barrie for cheap, giving Emberson a shot with Nurse and moving Kulak at the deadline for an upgrade (using assets like our next 1st rounder, the 2nd from Broberg, Savoie, or O’Reilly).

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-Barrie

We are a good enough team that we can get away with taking a few gambles on the blueline as Ekholm, Bouchard, and Nurse will soak up a ton of minutes.

The downside of matching Broberg is it may really limit our ability to upgrade at the deadline if he’s not a legit top 4 guy.
Totally agree, they have a 82 game tryout.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-Barrie

This is the way. We already know the Nurse-Barrie pairing is, at least during the regular season, a passable thing:

2020-21: 35 GA on 32 xGA, 0.917 OI Sv%
2021-22: 14 GA on 14 xGA, 0.925 OI Sv%

This was also before the team had any semblance of a defensive structure (or goaltending for that matter). I am willing to take a shot on it working out until the deadline, and if it's a disaster before then, you do exactly what you have there and run Kulak-Barrie as a third pairing. It won't cost anything in assets right now and still gives management the flexibility to make a big acquisition come spring.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
i was just reading through this.. it just sounds too good to be true. 2nd best defensive metrics in the league behind only Doughty.

I’m not getting too excited about this guy, let’s see him play a bit. But he’s only 24, basically Brobergs age.

Hope he’s good enough to play 50 games and then we have him as RFA.

I do have a good feeling about this guy but I need to see him play. I guarantee Parkatti had a hand in this, as well as Knoblauch. He’s a good bet.

Reactions: oilers'72

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Next step... match on Holloway... waive him... Sharks pick him up and then send Kostin to the Oilers for a 7th round pick in 2029 (as you can't do future considerations in a trade any longer I believe).

Oilers need someone physical in the lineup with Kane out for likely all/most of the season... and Kostin fills that role for ~300k less cap hit than Holloway.

Will this happen? Likely NOT (NHL probably won't even allow it)... but I'd like Kostin back on this roster again and that's one way to do it... while screwing over the Blues as well.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Next step... match on Holloway... waive him... Sharks pick him up and then send Kostin to the Oilers for a 7th round pick in 2029 (as you can't do future considerations in a trade any longer I believe).

Oilers need someone physical in the lineup with Kane out for likely all/most of the season... and Kostin fills that role for ~300k less cap hit than Holloway.

Will this happen? Likely NOT (NHL probably won't even allow it)... but I'd like Kostin back on this roster again and that's one way to do it... while screwing over the Blues as well.
Oilers would be better off just keeping Holloway,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad