Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
will be interesting to see what happens with the Canadian and US broadcasting rights over the next few years, since they'll have a huge impact on the cap.

Amazon have got streaming rights for Monday night hockey in Canada for the next couple of seasons, if it does well then they could comfortably outbid anyone for exclusive rights when the current broadcast deal expires

I saw rumblings a month back about Rogers not being happy with their current deal.

I have a feeling next media contract will be so fractured with who owns what Ill be back to pirating streams

Reactions: soothsayer

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
will be interesting to see what happens with the Canadian and US broadcasting rights over the next few years, since they'll have a huge impact on the cap.

Amazon have got streaming rights for Monday night hockey in Canada for the next couple of seasons, if it does well then they could comfortably outbid anyone for exclusive rights when the current broadcast deal expires

Can only hope but from what I read bits and pieces here and there, it might just be some simulcast shit leveraging existing broadcasts.

Not sure Amazon will actually have their own shit ala TNT

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
This might shock you, but he’s still making 8.5m
Doesn't shock me at all, I'm well aware of our cap situation.

The window that almost all teams win their cups with their superstar young players they drafted has passed for us. The one Pittsburgh, Chicago, L.A. won in.

It's unfortunate but I'm still hopeful we can piece something together. We have a great chance this year but unfortunately it will get a lot harder after.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Can only hope but from what I read bits and pieces here and there, it might just be some simulcast shit leveraging existing broadcasts.

They won't it will be like the Blue Jays on Apple TV the only place you can watch the game is on Apple TV not on your sportsnet sub

EDIT: This only relates to streaming services. Terrestrial services are unaffected

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The window that almost all teams win their cups with their superstar young players they drafted has passed for us. The one Pittsburgh, Chicago, L.A. won in.

It's unfortunate but I'm still hopeful we can piece something together. We have a great chance this year but unfortunately it will get a lot harder after.

Pittsburgh won 2 out of 3 of their Cups in the Crosby era with those guys on their second contracts.

Winning a Cup is supposed to be hard. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

I think the new TV rights will get split like the massive NBA deal is.

Sportsnet, TSN/RDS, and Amazon will all get in on it driving the price way up.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Welp, there goes that theory. There had been scuttlebutt about mutual admiration between Draisaitl and the Boston Bruins. Draisaitl was reportedly desirous to play in a major NHL market.

Wyshynski is a moron...Edmonton is a major market, ask anyone who plays here and Bettman who knows how much revenue the team generates

the only people who thought Boston had any sniff were people from Boston and their fantasies of him leaving...there was never legit info of his desire to leave Edmonton and everyone close to the situation ie. "insiders" in Edmonton (and Seravelli, who was here a lot during the playoffs) always said he'd re-sign here

he also mentions SJ (lol)...Leon isn't leaving Edmonton to play on a dogshit team because the owner is German

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Wyshynski is a moron...Edmonton is a major market, ask anyone who plays here and Bettman who knows how much revenue the team generates

the only people who thought Boston had any sniff were people from Boston and their fantasies of him leaving...there was never legit info of his desire to leave Edmonton and everyone close to the situation ie. "insiders" in Edmonton (and Seravelli, who was here a lot during the playoffs) always said he'd re-sign here

he also mentions SJ (lol)...Leon isn't leaving Edmonton to play on a dogshit team because the owner is German

In terms of like actual people who are actually interested in hockey, I think Edmonton is probably honestly the 3rd or 4th biggest market for hockey. Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver, Boston, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, New York, Chicago?

The thing is in Boston, the Bruins are loved but really they come below the Pats and Celtics and Red Sox, they're the no.4 team in town. In Edmonton the Oilers are somewhere above the no.1 religion, lol.

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

My god that guy is a tool. Edmonton makes over a billion dollars but keep talking about how it’s a small market team still :lol:

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
In terms of like actual people who are actually interested in hockey, I think Edmonton is probably honestly the 3rd or 4th biggest market for hockey. Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver, Boston, Minnesota, New York, Chicago?

The thing is in Boston, the Bruins are loved but really they come below the Pats and Celtics and Red Sox, they're the no.4 team in town. In Edmonton the Oilers are somewhere above the no.1 religion, lol.
the Oilers are shown THE MOST on ESPN/TNT this year
the SCF was one of the highest rated Finals in years

this "not a major market" stuff is nonsense and perpetuated by people out East that don't have a clue

I can't find Green Bay on a map but they're one of the biggest franchises in the NFL

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

this "not a major market" stuff is nonsense and perpetuated by people out East that don't have a clue

I can't find Green Bay on a map but they're one of the biggest franchises in the NFL

The population of Edmonton is sky rocketing too, Edmonton + areas surrounding it that usually draw in lots of Oiler fans (because frankly what else is there to do in the winter) is headed to 2 million fast.

Being the no.1, no.2, and no.3 sports story in town is a big difference from having to share with an NBA, NFL, MLB teams not to mention college football and basketball being huge in the US also.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
In fairness to Janet Jones as well, if Wayne had stayed in Edmonton she would've accepted that. She hit the jack pot marrying the prince of Canada basically (lol) and she knew it, she wasn't going to force him to leave a championship team to film Police Academy movies.

Pocklington f***ed that situation up. If we had an owner like Katz back then, Gretzky would've been an Oiler until at least 1992 or 1993.
Gretzky himself has stated the same.

And they probably have the dumpiest stadium in the entire league. True fans will be fans.

They do for Thursday night football. I’m guessing they will ante up for on air and production for hockey too. It’s a loss leader to drive subscribers to Prime.

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
The "speculation" from media members is dumb imo. I don't think Draisaitl ever intended to play anywhere else. Maybe his agent used other teams as leverage idk. Dude is seriously an Oiler through and through and he's lived in Edmonton his whole career, and before that Kelowna and Prince Albert. So if I'm being honest I was never really worried he was going to leave, and I'm not worried about Connor either. Also he's German so he doesn't have any sort of allegiance to American teams like American players seem to, and he's always been good at answering the media and it doesn't seem to bother him at all.

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

One factor that might open the flood gates for the NHL from a viewership perspective is that pretty much since the dawn of time they were petrified of featuring a team from anywhere other than Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Montreal or Toronto in a national broadcast because they were too conservative. They would rather bank on the guaranteed ratings inherent with a large local broadcast market than draw viewers by actually promoting the product with the best players and the best matchups.

The Oilers - Panthers Final is dreadful on paper for the NHL. One Canadian team that is the second smallest market in the league, and a sunbelt team with essentially zero local fanbase and zero fans outside the market. Despite this, the Final drew the highest ratings in a long time (maybe even a decade?) North America wide. Then all of a sudden the Oilers are playing in 17 nationally broadcasted games in the United States when they might have had 1-3 before.

If the NHL and their broadcast partners actually tailor their product towards the best game, the best players, and the best matchup, and get away from defaulting to showcasing teams in the biggest markets exclusively then ratings will shoot up, and $$ will follow. As the Oilers and Flames were locked in one of the best rivalries of the past decade, American viewers were treated to repeated matchups of a shit Blackhawks team against a shit Flyers team and then wondering why nobody watches.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I saw rumblings a month back about Rogers not being happy with their current deal.

I have a feeling next media contract will be so fractured with who owns what Ill be back to pirating streams
That's how it is with the NBA. There are so many different streaming companies involved in televising the games that it might as well be cable, or worse, ppv. I would be surprised if the NHL doesn't end up in the same place. Obviously, the NHL doesn't care, but they should, because it ultimately hurts the growth of the brand.

Reactions: DaGap

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
In all fairness, Gaudreau wasn't going to stay in Calgary as he wanted to be closer to his family. imagine he would've made the same decision if he was in Vancouver, Edmonton, LA, or any other west coast team.
Covid didn’t help the situation.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
They are being trolls. If the Oilers win the Cup, they'll still attempt to find a way to spin it as a negative. Don't let these people suck the joy out of watching and cheering for your favorite hockey teams.
Listening to the gnashing and wailing of the opposition is bracing. Feels good!

Reactions: stewy04

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
In terms of like actual people who are actually interested in hockey, I think Edmonton is probably honestly the 3rd or 4th biggest market for hockey. Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver, Boston, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, New York, Chicago?

Not Chicago. The market was revived from death's doorstep with 2010s Blackhawks series of Cups, but there exists way too many bandwagon fans to call Chicago a top-tier hockey market.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
The only negative to this contract is in the fact that we didn't win a Cup with him at 8.5 when he was drastically overplaying his worth. That was the Cup window all of those other big dynasty clubs made their killing in, with multiple guys on amazing contracts.

Now he is being paid what he's worth, of course as he should. His steal of a deal was balancing out the numerous bad contracts we have.

It's almost like we are paying him for past work, and we didn't get the job done. It sucks because now it's going to get a lot harder than it was the last couple years to work things in.
One year left on that.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
One factor that might open the flood gates for the NHL from a viewership perspective is that pretty much since the dawn of time they were petrified of featuring a team from anywhere other than Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Montreal or Toronto in a national broadcast because they were too conservative. They would rather bank on the guaranteed ratings inherent with a large local broadcast market than draw viewers by actually promoting the product with the best players and the best matchups.

The Oilers - Panthers Final is dreadful on paper for the NHL. One Canadian team that is the second smallest market in the league, and a sunbelt team with essentially zero local fanbase and zero fans outside the market. Despite this, the Final drew the highest ratings in a long time (maybe even a decade?) North America wide. Then all of a sudden the Oilers are playing in 17 nationally broadcasted games in the United States when they might have had 1-3 before.

If the NHL and their broadcast partners actually tailor their product towards the best game, the best players, and the best matchup, and get away from defaulting to showcasing teams in the biggest markets exclusively then ratings will shoot up, and $$ will follow. As the Oilers and Flames were locked in one of the best rivalries of the past decade, American viewers were treated to repeated matchups of a shit Blackhawks team against a shit Flyers team and then wondering why nobody watches.

FWIW I don't recall the exact number of games but the Oilers were featured in tons of US national broadcasts last year too.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

That's not true. Or at least it is only true for Chicago (whose team construction started with franchise D rather than forwards). And why did you leave out Tampa?

Here is how it actually went down. We still have time.

1725473186374.png

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
The "speculation" from media members is dumb imo. I don't think Draisaitl ever intended to play anywhere else. Maybe his agent used other teams as leverage idk. Dude is seriously an Oiler through and through and he's lived in Edmonton his whole career, and before that Kelowna and Prince Albert. So if I'm being honest I was never really worried he was going to leave, and I'm not worried about Connor either. Also he's German so he doesn't have any sort of allegiance to American teams like American players seem to, and he's always been good at answering the media and it doesn't seem to bother him at all.

He's been known get to get pissy. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JeffSkinner53

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

NHL should have probably figured out sooner that marketing your stars is great for the game regardless of what city they play for. Look how popular the Cavs were when Lebron was playing for them. That city is like the Red Deer of the States.

Reactions: K1984

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
NHL should have probably figured out sooner that marketing your stars is great for the game regardless of what city they play for. Look how popular the Cavs were when Lebron was playing for them. That city is like the Red Deer of the States.

The NFL never has problems featuring the best teams on prime time broadcasts regardless of market. Ditto for MLB feature games.

NFL is a different animal because massive amounts of people will watch any game, as proven by the usually horrific Thursday Night games, but proof is in the results for every league other than the NHL.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad