Proposal: EDM-NYI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Varlamov is only a backup in the literal sense. He's backing up only because one of the best young goalies in the NHL is also part of the Isles organization.

Let's not play dumb here.

It's like saying Smith is a starter quality goalie because he's starting for the Oilers.
The only "playing dumb" I see is thinking that a guy being your #2 goalie at that salary doesn't make him a bit of a liability going forward. Nobody wants a 5M backup goalie, teams will know this. Lou will want to dump him, and he'll want to do it now rather than over the summer for the reasons expressed earlier - the price he could get back now is probably better than what he could get in the summer. That said, we know Lou won't see for cheap either.

Smith isn't Edmonton's starter. If you had to pick a starter for Edmonton this year, it is Koskinen, but right now I would say the Oilers are playing with 2 backups and a rookie (to fill in for injuries). So your analogy doesn't really work.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Wait, how is Varlamov worth a 1st on his own? $5M backup goalies (1B goalies, to be fair) aren't worth first round picks.

Wasn't aware that goalies who post .922 save % and 2.14 GAA in the playoffs while leading their team to the Stanley Cup semifinals were backup goalies.

That said every situation is different and what one team would pay for player X doesn't mean another team would. That's how someone like Darcy Kuemper got a 1st in return.

Pretty clear the Oilers have to do something about their goaltending situation. Doesn't have to be Varalmov per se, but to do nothing and miss the playoffs given all they've been through would be pretty disastrous.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Wasn't aware that goalies who post .922 save % and 2.14 GAA in the playoffs while leading their team to the Stanley Cup semifinals were backup goalies.

That said every situation is different and what one team would pay for player X doesn't mean another team would. That's how someone like Darcy Kuemper got a 1st in return.

Pretty clear the Oilers have to do something about their goaltending situation. Doesn't have to be Varalmov per se, but to do nothing and miss the playoffs given all they've been through would be pretty disastrous.

He's started 14 games this year. The other guy has started 33. I don't think its a stretch to call him the backup.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
The only "playing dumb" I see is thinking that a guy being your #2 goalie at that salary doesn't make him a bit of a liability going forward. Nobody wants a 5M backup goalie, teams will know this. Lou will want to dump him, and he'll want to do it now rather than over the summer for the reasons expressed earlier - the price he could get back now is probably better than what he could get in the summer. That said, we know Lou won't see for cheap either.
You couldn't be more wrong.

There is no need for the NYI to trade Varlamov and the tandem of Sorokin and Varlamov is valuable in itself for next season.

The Isles should be open to trading Varlamov for good value, but a second round pick isn't more valuable than having a good goalie tandem next year.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Here it is, better make a crappy trade or lose these guys! Standard refrain from people who don't know the team or the players involved.

I'll only speak for me and say...I don't think the Oilers will lose McDavid or Draisaitl in the next 3-4 years, but in terms of wasting some of their prime years? The Oilers are certainly doing that.

That said if they don't start getting much closer to a Cup by the time one/both are becoming UFAs in a few seasons, then you can put me down for a bet that at least one will leave.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
He's started 14 games this year. The other guy has started 33. I don't think its a stretch to call him the backup.

The point. You missed it.

I could care less about who is a "starter" or "backup." The question is...Can a player help a team improve their odds of winning a Cup. If the answer is yes then it doesn't matter if that player is being stashed in the AHL for cap purposes.

Bottom line...Varlamov would improve the Oilers goaltending situation significantly. If the Oilers can get a better deal on a goalie somewhere else then they should make that deal. However if the Oilers do zero with their goaltending situation then that would be a crime.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yamamoto is a plus, not a minus.

That is a crazy assessment of talent. Take your homer glasses off. Neither player lands what you think.

OP probably won't get it done for the Islanders.

:edmonton

- G Semyon Varlamov (5M AAV, 1 yr remaining)
- RD Scott Mayfield (1.45M AAV, 1 yr remaining)

:isles

- G Mikko Koskinen (4.5 AAV, UFA in 30 games)
- Kyle Turris (1.65 M UFA in 30 games)
-Xavier Bourgault
- 2022 1st round pick

Some harmless cap dumps that are off the books right away, and effectively two first round picks. Good value for the NYI.
This offer is closer to value for value. Islanders didn’t need to eat the Barrie contract. Just got two UFAs and two firsts.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

You’re seriously just going to continue to ignore that he was on injured reserve at the beginning of the season and just got out of COVID protocol recently?

It’s perfectly fair to say he has injury concerns. But it’s a completely false stretch to call him a backup when he wasn’t in the lineup.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You’re seriously just going to continue to ignore that he was on injured reserve at the beginning of the season and just got out of COVID protocol recently?

It’s perfectly fair to say he has injury concerns. But it’s a completely false stretch to call him a backup when he wasn’t in the lineup.
So Sorokin is the backup?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oh come on, the entire hockey world knows that Sorokin is the starter. Varlamov might play more than most backups when healthy, but he's not on the same level as Sorokin, so let's stop pretending that he's anything other than the Islanders backup who is good enough to be Edmonton's starter.

That said, I expect Varlamov to be traded, but not until the summer. I don't think he's a trade deadline trade when there are only a couple of teams looking at goalies.

Reactions: TFHockey

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Oh come on, the entire hockey world knows that Sorokin is the starter. Varlamov might play more than most backups when healthy, but he's not on the same level as Sorokin, so let's stop pretending that he's anything other than the Islanders backup who is good enough to be Edmonton's starter.

Sorokin started in the conference finals? If you mean to suggest that Sorokin is meant to be the starter someday... than yes that's the plan. But the Isles even before Sorokin or Varlamov have always employed a strong tandem. Even with Lehner and Greiss.

There is nothing to suggest that Varlamov would have been used any differently if he wasn't injured. Any honest Isles fan will tell you that Sorokin is actually having trouble with his current usage.

What that makes Varlamov to Edmonton... don't know, don't care. But you're attempt to assert that he is merely a backup is disingenuous to his actual usage pre-injury. He has been starter quality for some time in his career. The only pretending is your take...

that he's anything other than the Islanders backup who is good enough to be Edmonton's starter.

Last edited:

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

That said, I expect Varlamov to be traded, but not until the summer. I don't think he's a trade deadline trade when there are only a couple of teams looking at goalies.
Varly played almost all the playoff games last year

Tapdog

Mar 16, 2016
Alberta, Canada

Come on the only reason Smith has started less is because he has been hurt. Smith would be the starter of this team and Koskinen the back up. Are either goalie getting the Oil to where they need to be? I would say no. Varly would be an upgrade on what we have here with the exception of Skinner. I think Skinner/ Varly tandem next year is far better than anything we currently own.
I do think it possible for a Varly/ Mayfield package to be Edm bound. What the return is the mystery :)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Come on the only reason Smith has started less is because he has been hurt. Smith would be the starter of this team and Koskinen the back up. Are either goalie getting the Oil to where they need to be? I would say no. Varly would be an upgrade on what we have here with the exception of Skinner. I think Skinner/ Varly tandem next year is far better than anything we currently own.
I do think it possible for a Varly/ Mayfield package to be Edm bound. What the return is the mystery :)
Well, Smith has also been significantly worse than Koskinen this year, but I think that is in part due to the injuries, so the only part I would strongly disagree with here is the last sentence, ha ha. . I don't think Edmonton gets Varlamov, and I don't think the Isles should trade Mayfield. We aren't that lucky. Ha ha. And maybe the Skinner comment, we haven't seen him enough to know if he can be held at the same level as Varlamov. That's likely premature

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Koskinen and a 1st for Varly is deal most Isles fan will get behind. Zero chance Mayfield is moved for anything other then a top 6 forward.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Koskinen and a 1st for Varly is deal most Isles fan will get behind. Zero chance Mayfield is moved for anything other then a top 6 forward.

I guess we have to accept that Scott Mayfield is now the new Travis HaRmonic.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The problem is that you’re essentially trading cap dumps for quality NHL players. Neither of the pieces offered (or Tyson Barrie) do anything except waste space and eat up a spot for a player to be brought up that should be playing. If they move Mayfield, it’s for something that actually improves the team down the line not just clears up cap space. Every offer I’ve seen so far is just claiming the Islanders are in cap hell and have no way out which is completely incorrect. There’s no reason to move Mayfield unless the offer blows the Islanders away and the pieces involved just don’t do it.

I don't understand your point here.

Taking a step back and then fast forward 30 games (that arguably don't matter to the Isles). The trade breaks down to:
  • 1 year of Mayfield for 3 ELC years of Bourgault, who is arguably our best prospect, 1st rounder last year who almost made the team and has improved his stock since then
  • 1 year of Varlamov for a 1st round pick
  • Plus you gain $5M in salary from Varlamov (who is not a backup, but he is your backup, which is an unnecessary luxury). You can use $2M on a backup and still have $3M for an upgrade somewhere else
So you get immediate gains this offseason + the equivalent of two firsts, one of whom has better than average odds to make your team in September.

This seems to do exactly what you want... it improves your team in the very near term. Seems like a pretty good hockey trade for you to restock the cupboard and redistribute salaries effectively. What more could you want?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I don't understand your point here.

Taking a step back and then fast forward 30 games (that arguably don't matter to the Isles). The trade breaks down to:
  • 1 year of Mayfield for 3 ELC years of Bourgault, who is arguably our best prospect, 1st rounder last year who almost made the team and has improved his stock since then
  • 1 year of Varlamov for a 1st round pick
  • Plus you gain $5M in salary from Varlamov (who is not a backup, but he is your backup, which is an unnecessary luxury). You can use $2M on a backup and still have $3M for an upgrade somewhere else
So you get immediate gains this offseason + the equivalent of two firsts, one of whom has better than average odds to make your team in September.

This seems to do exactly what you want... it improves your team in the very near term. Seems like a pretty good hockey trade for you to restock the cupboard and redistribute salaries effectively. What more could you want?
The trade is worse combined then what it would be separate. It’s not so much a hockey trade as it is a way for Edmonton to escape bad contracts. If anything, no need for the Islanders to take back Turris/Koskinen/Barrie just because they keep getting pushed into contracts. An actual hockey trade would be something that improves the team, not goes 6 steps back to go 2 forward.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The potential suitors I can think of are Edmonton, Colorado, and Vegas. I think the 2022-2023 contract nearly rules out Colorado, and Vegas. I doubt he would approve at trade to Edmonton. So, even though I'm not sure what the Islanders want to do (they will never tell anyone), I think it's likely he stays with NYI.

And I've watched every game he's played for NYI. IMO he looks creaky.

Good points. Varlamov might squash any trade to the Oilers. Also, if you can believe it, Koskinen has a limited no trade clause as well. He could also squash potential trades. Let's have that sink in for a moment. Overpaid. Term. AND a M-NTC.

*cough* Chiarelli.

Reactions: Tapdog

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
So Sorokin is the backup?
Neither is the backup in reality. It's a tandem.

Varlamov was out injured the first month and he also caught Covid. Sorokin has been healthy and Covid free the entire year. Which is why the games played between the two seems so lopsided in Sorokin's favor.

Tapdog

Mar 16, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Well, Smith has also been significantly worse than Koskinen this year, but I think that is in part due to the injuries, so the only part I would strongly disagree with here is the last sentence, ha ha. . I don't think Edmonton gets Varlamov, and I don't think the Isles should trade Mayfield. We aren't that lucky. Ha ha. And maybe the Skinner comment, we haven't seen him enough to know if he can be held at the same level as Varlamov. That's likely premature

Injuries or not, Smith is the starter here. Not saying it is right.
You can strongly disagree if you want haha.. I said it possible. As for Skinner, 100% a small sample but he already has the confidence of the coach so he will be here next year for sure. Paired with Varly, I think that better tandem over anything we have right now.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Can't wait until Mayfield gets traded and everyone suddenly rushes to say how dumb the Islanders are for trading him and that they knew how good he was all along despite never having watched him play prior to the trade. I call it the Toews effect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad