Proposal: EDM-NYI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Mayfield is probably worth two 1sts on his own if traded now. One for the player and another for the contract... Varlamov is also worth a 1st plus, so back to the drawing board for you
While the OP is not good for NY, the bolded is not really correct....

Reactions: periferal

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
That's the thing. I can absolutely see Varlamov being moving to Colorado, or Vegas - dunno about Edmonton. Moreover, I have doubts about his health - he's showing his mileage. I don't think he'll be moved. Too much risk for the team acquiring him, and NYI don't have assets to give up to mitigate that risk. And there's no point retaining when they'll have to pay for a backup anyway.

Not sure I agree with this. Varlamov has never been the most durable goalie, so injuries are a concern for sure. That said, he's been more than fine this year, and certainly would constitute an upgrade over what several teams have. Goalies are a different animal than skaters & tend to last a little longer. His salary is fine as well imo. Retention seems wholly unnecessary.

That said, I'm less than convinced the Islanders actually move him... and in any trade hypothetical, his NTC could definitely limit his suitors & hurt his value a tad

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That said, I'm less than convinced the Islanders actually move him... and in any trade hypothetical, his NTC could definitely limit his suitors & hurt his value a tad

The potential suitors I can think of are Edmonton, Colorado, and Vegas. I think the 2022-2023 contract nearly rules out Colorado, and Vegas. I doubt he would approve at trade to Edmonton. So, even though I'm not sure what the Islanders want to do (they will never tell anyone), I think it's likely he stays with NYI.

And I've watched every game he's played for NYI. IMO he looks creaky.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This proposal is all over the place.

Take a look at it again and trim off the fat.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Too poor value wise.

Mayfield is worth a first on his own.
Varlamov is worth a first on his own.

NYI's season is done, so Barrie is of no need. We should want someone better than him on defense next season so don't want to be stuck with his contract. Rather have that cap space for off-season moves.

Rest of the Edmonton package is quantity, not quality, aside from the first round pick.

Reactions: periferal

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Too poor value wise.

Mayfield is worth a first on his own.
Varlamov is worth a first on his own.

NYI's season is done, so Barrie is of no need. We should want someone better than him on defense next season so don't want to be stuck with his contract. Rather have that cap space for off-season moves.

Rest of the Edmonton package is quantity, not quality, aside from the first round pick.
Wait, how is Varlamov worth a 1st on his own? $5M backup goalies (1B goalies, to be fair) aren't worth first round picks.

Reactions: spaghtti

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Wait, how is Varlamov worth a 1st on his own? $5M backup goalies (1B goalies, to be fair) aren't worth first round picks.
Tell that to Darcy Kuemper.

Not to mention that was the off-season. This is the trade deadline, when sellers have more leverage with players who aren't pending UFAs and your Western Conference competitors (like Vegas) may also want a proven NHL goalie.

But hey, if you want to waste another year of McDavid's and Leon's prime with Mike Smith in net in the playoffs, be my guest.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Just because Varly has backed up Sorokin does not mean hes not a capable starting goalie. The guy brought the isles to back to back conference finals. Hes a great goalie that has struggled a bit this year, but he would be far better than anything the Oilers have right now.

Is he worth a 1st? Im not too sure, but you would get 2 playoff runs out of him, and he is a playoff proven netminder. The Oilers would he foolish not to take a run at him.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
In fairness, the goalie market almost always favors the buyers, which is why I think Varly is worth a 2nd + B prospect.

He can handle a starter's load and has more playoff experience than anyone Edmonton's had the last five years or so.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
In fairness, the goalie market almost always favors the buyers, which is why I think Varly is worth a 2nd + B prospect.

He can handle a starter's load and has more playoff experience than anyone Edmonton's had the last five years or so.
Why are you devaluing Varlamov? An equivalent goalie got traded in the off-season for a first round pick, an additional third round pick, and a project prospect. That sets the market as that's the most recent and relevant comparable.

Not to mention all things give NYI leverage and the potential playoff trading partner less leverage:
1. There's very few, if any, other good goalie options available for playoff teams who need goalie upgrades.
2. There's no need for NYI to trade Varlamov as he's not a pending UFA and we can easily go into next season with a tandem of Sorokin and Varlamov.
3. There's at least two playoff teams who need goalie upgrades in Vegas and Edmonton, possibly more.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Why are you devaluing Varlamov? An equivalent goalie got traded in the off-season for a first round pick, an additional third round pick, and a project prospect. That sets the market as that's the most recent and relevant comparable.

Not to mention all things give NYI leverage and the potential playoff trading partner less leverage:
1. There's very few, if any, other good goalie options available for playoff teams who need goalie upgrades.
2. There's no need for NYI to trade Varlamov as he's not a pending UFA and we can easily go into next season with a tandem of Sorokin and Varlamov.
3. There's at least two playoff teams who need goalie upgrades in Vegas and Edmonton, possibly more.

The Colorado situation didn't really set the market imo. Sakic got screwed by Grubbauer on the first day of FA and basically had to find a starter for a team that everyone thinks is due to win a Cup soon.

If this was next season, sure Varly could return a first if he puts up comparable numbers like the last few years. The 5 mill additional season for a mid 30's goaltender isn't as enticing as you'd think.

We can agree to disagree.

I don't think he's going to be moved anyway. I don't see Lou being comfortable with moving him if we're out of the race and Vary holds some say in where he goes. If the offer isn't strong enough, he just holds onto him. We're not really in any foreseeable cap trouble, otherwise it might be an issue

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
The Colorado situation didn't really set the market imo. Sakic got screwed by Grubbauer on the first day of FA and basically had to find a starter for a team that everyone thinks is due to win a Cup soon.

If this was next season, sure Varly could return a first if he puts up comparable numbers like the last few years. The 5 mill additional season for a mid 30's goaltender isn't as enticing as you'd think.

We can agree to disagree.

I don't think he's going to be moved anyway. I don't see Lou being comfortable with moving him if we're out of the race and Vary holds some say in where he goes. If the offer isn't strong enough, he just holds onto him. We're not really in any foreseeable cap trouble, otherwise it might be an issue
Varlamov's extra year is actually a plus.

Have you seen this year's UFA goalie list? It's not good, at least in terms of starting quality goalies. 2022 NHL Free Agents Tracker

Any team trading for him has goalie concerns and I can guarantee you that they'd want him back for one extra year next season than any of the goalies on that list.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Not to mention that was the off-season. This is the trade deadline, when sellers have more leverage with players who aren't pending UFAs and your Western Conference competitors (like Vegas) may also want a proven NHL goalie.

But hey, if you want to waste another year of McDavid's and Leon's prime with Mike Smith in net in the playoffs, be my guest.

Here it is, better make a crappy trade or lose these guys! Standard refrain from people who don't know the team or the players involved.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Here it is, better make a crappy trade or lose these guys! Standard refrain from people who don't know the team or the players involved.
Putting words in my mouth: the post.

I didn't say you'd lose them. But logically, one would think you'd want to try winning when you have the two best forwards in the world in their 20s. Sure as shit isn't happening with Smith or Koskinen defending the Edmonton net.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Putting words in my mouth: the post.

I didn't say you'd lose them. But logically, one would think you'd want to try winning when you have the two best forwards in the world in their 20s. Sure as shit isn't happening with Smith or Koskinen defending the Edmonton net.

Oiler fans know that the goaltending needs to improve. The media has stated it, on pretty much all sports networks.

It's all over twitter.

Of course they do. No question.

Are guys like Georgeiv and Allen really upgrades though? And at the costs the fans think it would take to get them? Nope.

The Oilers need an actual starter. Not a guy playing out of position and playing starting minutes. A legit starter.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
The only pieces of interest to the NYI would be the 22 1st and Lavoie. Everything else is relative fluff for their 1B/backup and Mayfield. No drive or need for this from a NYI perspective.

Mayfield is probably worth two 1sts on his own if traded now. One for the player and another for the contract... Varlamov is also worth a 1st plus, so back to the drawing board for you

This on the other hand is just not correct whatsoever. Big overevaluation of assets.

Reactions: TFHockey

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
While I could see Varlamov get a first, I think it’s improbable and would be more a reflection of a specific team’s desperation.

I also don’t think Kuemper necessarily set a market… other than what a desperation trade looks like.

Finally, Varlamov isn’t a backup. He’s the first part of a tandem. His limited usage was due to injury (which in of itself IS cause for concern). But portraying him as a backup is a bit disingenuous.

Last edited:

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Oiler fans know that the goaltending needs to improve. The media has stated it, on pretty much all sports networks.

It's all over twitter.

Of course they do. No question.

Are guys like Georgeiv and Allen really upgrades though? And at the costs the fans think it would take to get them? Nope.

The Oilers need an actual starter. Not a guy playing out of position and playing starting minutes. A legit starter.
I think you may be getting off topic with those names.

Thread's about Varlamov and he absolutely can carry a team through a significant playoff run as proven in the last two playoffs. Dude pitched a one goal against performance against the Lightning in game 7.

But like all good assets, he isn't going to come cheap. Edmonton will need to pay up if they want this solution to their goalie issues. If not, okay, but I don't see any other magical solution out there for Edmonton's goalie woes. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Guess we'll see.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think you may be getting off topic with those names.

Thread's about Varlamov and he absolutely can carry a team through a significant playoff run as proven in the last two playoffs. Dude pitched a one goal against performance against the Lightning in game 7.

But like all good assets, he isn't going to come cheap. Edmonton will need to pay up if they want this solution to their goalie issues. If not, okay, but I don't see any other magical solution out there for Edmonton's goalie woes. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Guess we'll see.

I think I am confusing threads.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yamamoto is a plus, not a minus.

That is a crazy assessment of talent. Take your homer glasses off. Neither player lands what you think.

OP probably won't get it done for the Islanders.

:edmonton

- G Semyon Varlamov (5M AAV, 1 yr remaining)
- RD Scott Mayfield (1.45M AAV, 1 yr remaining)

:isles

- G Mikko Koskinen (4.5 AAV, UFA in 30 games)
- Kyle Turris (1.65 M UFA in 30 games)
-Xavier Bourgault
- 2022 1st round pick

Some harmless cap dumps that are off the books right away, and effectively two first round picks. Good value for the NYI.

From the Islanders standpoint if they don't get a 1st for Varlamov or Mayfield alone then there's no point in trading either of them.

I fully expect a few replies of, "But neither Varlamov or Mayfield are worth a 1st round pick on their own."

That's certainly your opinion, and if the 31 other GMs share that same opinion then again the 1 GM of the Islanders should not trade either one - Collectively or individually.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Kuemper is a starter and was a starter at the time. Varlamov is a 5M backup who is overpaid for his role on his current team. I understand the trade deadline bidding wars, but I don't know if goalie bidding wars will get worse than the Kuemper bidding war was. Rumor has it that it was a major bidding war between Holland and Sakic and Sakic offered a prospect Arizona liked better. I would be surprised if Varlamov brings the same price back.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Kuemper is a starter and was a starter at the time. Varlamov is a 5M backup who is overpaid for his role on his current team. I understand the trade deadline bidding wars, but I don't know if goalie bidding wars will get worse than the Kuemper bidding war was. Rumor has it that it was a major bidding war between Holland and Sakic and Sakic offered a prospect Arizona liked better. I would be surprised if Varlamov brings the same price back.
Varlamov is only a backup in the literal sense. He's backing up only because one of the best young goalies in the NHL is also part of the Isles organization.

Let's not play dumb here.

It's like saying Smith is a starter quality goalie because he's starting for the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad