Proposal: EDM-NYI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Snipesaitl

Jul 3, 2019
Tried to come up with something that fills both teams needs, first thread on the trade boards so feedback would be appreciated.

Oilers Receive:

- G Semyon Varlamov (5M AAV, 1 yr remaining)
- RD Scott Mayfield (1.45M AAV, 1 yr remaining)
- 2022 3rd round pick

Islanders Receive:

- G Mikko Koskinen (4.5 AAV, UFA this summer)
- RD Tyson Barrie (4.5 AAV, 2 yrs remaining)
- RW Raphael Lavoie
- LD Dmitri Samorukov
- 2022 1st round pick
- 2023 2nd round pick

The trade breaks down as:

2023 2nd to take Koskinen

Lavoie to take Barrie

2021 first for Mayfield

Samorukov for Varlamov

Isles need left D after losing Leddy and Toews, Samorukov is a physical defensive dman with untapped offensive potential and he hits like a truck. He's in his third pro season and should make the jump to the NHL next season. Samo is Russian so that eases concerns that the Isles lose Sorokin’s translator.

Isles need more goal scoring, Lavoie is a volume shooting scoring winger and has been producing great in the AHL with 12-9-21/+15 in his last 23 gp.

Isles add a pick as EDM 2nd and 3rd this year are tied up in the Keith trade and they trade their first in this deal.

Oilers acquire a starting goaltender they desperately need and a defensive RD that suits their lineup better than Barrie.

Probably an overpay by EDM but this trade fills our two biggest needs while opening up more cap and both Varlamov and Mayfield are signed for next season.

I'd consider taking back Panik to help balance cap if Isles add a pick.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Quantity, not quality, coming back to the Isles. Isles say no easily. 2 cap dumps, 2 mid level prospects, and 2 picks for a very good starter and great contract defenseman. Isles would be way better off just selling their pieces seperately if they’re so inclined.

Overpay by Edmonton? C’mon.

... and this is from a NYR fan.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Mayfield is probably worth two 1sts on his own if traded now. One for the player and another for the contract... Varlamov is also worth a 1st plus, so back to the drawing board for you

Snipesaitl

Jul 3, 2019
Quantity, not quality, coming back to the Isles. Isles say no easily. 2 cap dumps, 2 mid level prospects, and 2 picks for a very good starter and great contract defenseman. Isles would be way better off just selling their pieces seperately if they’re so inclined.

Overpay by Edmonton? C’mon.

... and this is from a NYR fan.

Mayfield is probably worth two 1sts on his own if traded now. One for the player and another for the contract... Varlamov is also worth a 1st plus, so back to the drawing board for you

I feel the prices to take Barrie and Koskinen are fair but its probably unrealistic to have both in one deal.

Would Barrie + Bourgault + 1st + Samorukov + 2nd be enough value to get both Varlamov and Mayfield?

Remove pick from Isles side, remove Koskinen and upgrade Lavoie to Bourgault.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Tried to come up with something that fills both teams needs, first thread on the trade boards so feedback would be appreciated.

Oilers Receive:

- 2022 3rd round pick

Islanders Receive:

- G Mikko Koskinen (4.5 AAV, UFA this summer)
- RD Tyson Barrie (4.5 AAV, 2 yrs remaining)
- RW Raphael Lavoie
- LD Dmitri Samorukov
- 2022 1st round pick
- 2023 2nd round pick

The trade breaks down as:

2023 2nd to take Koskinen

Lavoie to take Barrie

2021 first for Mayfield

Samorukov for Varlamov

Isles need left D after losing Leddy and Toews, Samorukov is a physical defensive dman with untapped offensive potential and he hits like a truck. He's in his third pro season and should make the jump to the NHL next season. Samo is Russian so that eases concerns that the Isles lose Sorokin’s translator.

Isles need more goal scoring, Lavoie is a volume shooting scoring winger and has been producing great in the AHL with 12-9-21/+15 in his last 23 gp.

Isles add a pick as EDM 2nd and 3rd this year are tied up in the Keith trade and they trade their first in this deal.

Oilers acquire a starting goaltender they desperately need and a defensive RD that suits their lineup better than Barrie.

Probably an overpay by EDM but this trade fills our two biggest needs while opening up more cap and both Varlamov and Mayfield are signed for next season.

I'd consider taking back Panik to help balance cap if Isles add a pick.
Not an over pay by Edmonton. This is an underpayment and I’d pass on this easily if I’m the Islanders. Doesn’t do much of anything for them but make them worse and limit their cap space.

the islanders needing to include a pick is quite ridiculous.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Ditch Barrie and Koskinen separately. Koskinen and a plus to whomever has cap space and is tanking. Barrie to Philly cause they've heard of him. A team who actually dresses Yandle can't say no to Barrie.

Then, a mittful of prospect, picks, and Yamamoto to NYI for Mayfield and Varlamov, IF NYI are giving up on this year.

Reactions: Ragdoll

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Ditch Barrie and Koskinen separately. Koskinen and a plus to whomever has cap space and is tanking. Barrie to Philly cause they've heard of him. A team who actually dresses Yandle can't say no to Barrie.

Then, a mittful of prospect, picks, and Yamamoto to NYI for Mayfield and Varlamov, IF NYI are giving up on this year.
Who are the picks and prospects to offset the undersized winger? If it’s a C tier prospect and mediocre pick, it doesn’t work for the Islanders.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Who are the picks and prospects to offset the undersized winger? If it’s a C tier prospect and mediocre pick, it doesn’t work for the Islanders.

Yamamoto is a plus, not a minus.

That is a crazy assessment of talent. Take your homer glasses off. Neither player lands what you think.

OP probably won't get it done for the Islanders.

:edmonton

:isles

- G Mikko Koskinen (4.5 AAV, UFA in 30 games)
- Kyle Turris (1.65 M UFA in 30 games)
-Xavier Bourgault
- 2022 1st round pick

Some harmless cap dumps that are off the books right away, and effectively two first round picks. Good value for the NYI.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

That is a crazy assessment of talent. Take your homer glasses off. Neither player lands what you think.

-Xavier Bourgault
- 2022 1st round pick

Some harmless cap dumps that are off the books right away, and effectively two first round picks. Good value for the NYI.
What would the offer be without your bad contracts and cap dumps? They don’t do anything except leave holes for the Islanders moving forward. A bad backup and borderline AHL player just won’t do it. Neither will an undersized complimentary middle 6 winger that won’t put in 30+ on a yearly basis. These deals scream, rebuild the Islanders. This is Leafs level Kerfoot, Bracco and a pick for Torontos needs.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What would the offer be without your bad contracts and cap dumps? They don’t do anything except leave holes for the Islanders moving forward. A bad backup and borderline AHL player just won’t do it. Neither will an undersized complimentary middle 6 winger that won’t put in 30+ on a yearly basis. These deals scream, rebuild the Islanders. This is Leafs level Kerfoot, Bracco and a pick for Torontos needs.

If you take a cold, objective look at the trade you'll see those cap dumps are hardly an inconvenience. They're both off the books in 30 games or so. If the Islanders are giving up on the post season this year it is a good trade.

As for "holes moving forward" you're acting like the Islanders AREN'T going to trade Mayfield, and all of the trade rumors are exactly the opposite. If they move him they should get something of value. This is it.

Moving Varlamov, which is also likely, allows NYI to have a lot of cap room this off season. Remember, Koskinen is off the books. Instead of having $9 Million locked up in goaltenders New York keeps their starter and has $5 Million in cap room to sign a player they like. That won't be a back up.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Varlamov has a 16 team no trade clause. How likely is it that Edmonton is not on that list? I think that nixes any ideas about Varlamov to Edmonton.

And I thought the rumor was that the Islanders wanted to keep Varly around to mentor/translate/room with Sorokin? I imagine they still see value in that.

Reactions: periferal

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If you take a cold, objective look at the trade you'll see those cap dumps are hardly an inconvenience. They're both off the books in 30 games or so. If the Islanders are giving up on the post season this year it is a good trade.

As for "holes moving forward" you're acting like the Islanders AREN'T going to trade Mayfield, and all of the trade rumors are exactly the opposite. If they move him they should get something of value. This is it.

Moving Varlamov, which is also likely, allows NYI to have a lot of cap room this off season. Remember, Koskinen is off the books. Instead of having $9 Million locked up in goaltenders New York keeps their starter and has $5 Million in cap room to sign a player they like. That won't be a back up.
The problem is that you’re essentially trading cap dumps for quality NHL players. Neither of the pieces offered (or Tyson Barrie) do anything except waste space and eat up a spot for a player to be brought up that should be playing. If they move Mayfield, it’s for something that actually improves the team down the line not just clears up cap space. Every offer I’ve seen so far is just claiming the Islanders are in cap hell and have no way out which is completely incorrect. There’s no reason to move Mayfield unless the offer blows the Islanders away and the pieces involved just don’t do it.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Your deal is better than the OPs for sure but I think you need to add another piece of value to make it work. Remember, Isles doesnt really need to trade Mayfield or Varlamov.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

-Xavier Bourgault
- 2022 1st round pick

That isn't bad. I don't know if I'd do it if I'm the Islanders but there is value there.

We've talked on this and other Islanders boards about using the cap space we have this year to acquire additional picks since we're rightly 30th overall as far as prospect depth. This does that.

That being said, Isles are really high on Mayfield, he's cheap and I think management (right or wrong) are going to take the stance that this season was an anomaly and there's no way we'll be this mediocre next year.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The problem is that you’re essentially trading cap dumps for quality NHL players. Neither of the pieces offered (or Tyson Barrie) do anything except waste space and eat up a spot for a player to be brought up that should be playing. If they move Mayfield, it’s for something that actually improves the team down the line not just clears up cap space. Every offer I’ve seen so far is just claiming the Islanders are in cap hell and have no way out which is completely incorrect. There’s no reason to move Mayfield unless the offer blows the Islanders away and the pieces involved just don’t do it.

I dropped Barrie. Did you see my counter proposal to the OP?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

-Xavier Bourgault
- 2022 1st round pick

I think you don't know how good Mayfield is. He'd be your best defenseman by miles and is signed to a sweetheart deal. He's one of the better pure defenders in the league.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Varlamov has a 16 team no trade clause. How likely is it that Edmonton is not on that list? I think that nixes any ideas about Varlamov to Edmonton.

And I thought the rumor was that the Islanders wanted to keep Varly around to mentor/translate/room with Sorokin? I imagine they still see value in that.

A $5 Million dollar back up as a mentor/translator? I really don't see the value in that. The Islanders can get another Russian speaking player. Hell, I've included one in the trade. Or go get Georgeiv. Whatever.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
A $5 Million dollar back up as a mentor/translator? I really don't see the value in that. The Islanders can get another Russian speaking player. Hell, I've included one in the trade. Or go get Georgeiv. Whatever.
Do you think that Edmonton is not on Varlamov's no trade list? He can only be traded to 15 teams. He signed with the Islanders and got no trade clauses included for a reason.

Reactions: TFHockey

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

That's the thing. I can absolutely see Varlamov being moving to Colorado, or Vegas - dunno about Edmonton. Moreover, I have doubts about his health - he's showing his mileage. I don't think he'll be moved. Too much risk for the team acquiring him, and NYI don't have assets to give up to mitigate that risk. And there's no point retaining when they'll have to pay for a backup anyway.

Generally - NYI are not interested taking salary back for 2022-23 much less for 2023-2024. Barrie is a no-go.

NYI would easily get a 1st (+B-prospect, probably) for Mayfield alone right now from any number of teams. He may have similar value *next* deadline after NYI know what he wants for a contract extension. So, there's not a whole lot of urgency to trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad