Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NJD] Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson: Mod warning #191

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
imo Larsson is a guy you need to watch all 82 games for most people to fully appreciate I think after next season is done most Edmonton fans will be happy with this move.

Asked this question before, never got a response from any Devils/neutral fans: Would you trade a Parise in his prime for Adam Larsson?

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
larsson is a decent #3, or good #4 in all likelihood .... and we gave up a top-3 LW in the world for him... yup, that makes a lot of sense

Larsson is a #2 right now, I don't think he has the offense of a prototypical #1, but defensively he is very good. He is also a good passer. His shot isn't great, but he is a good player nonetheless. Value is obviously skewed towards NJ, but you get a good player regardless.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
While Larsson is an improvement on defense and I can get behind this trade with time, this sets a tone around the league and how they view Chia. It makes him look desperate and willing to trade anything. Teams are now aware and will play hard ball when Chia comes asking for their players.

Yep. His phones are probably ringing off the hook for Eberle and RNH.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
This trade is going to be a huge part of Chia's legacy, one way or another. It all comes down to where Larson goes from here. If his offence breaks out and he emerges as a legit #1 dman, or even a high end #2, then the trade was a success. Saves cap, gives us a great young dman locked up long term. Klefbom/Larson has the potential to be one of the best pairings in the league (emphasis on potential).

But if Larson's offence doesn't emerge, if his defence isn't as strong as it looks in NJ's system, if Greene is just making him look good like Fayne... then this is going down as one of the worst trades in team history.

Chia says Larson was the guy. Unlike Reinhart, he scouted him himself. Out of all the potential RHD out there he could get without giving up McDavid, Larson was the one he wanted. This trade is all on Chia, and we'll know in a few years if he's the smartest guy in the room, or as big an idiot as he looks right now.

Good post, this trade will get judged over years and decades, not days and weeks.

And if klefbom and Larsson turn into a top pairing signed long term for 8 and change, it's genius.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Asked this question before, never got a response from any Devils/neutral fans: Would you trade a Parise in his prime for Adam Larsson?

Parise in his prime was a monster for us. He put up 45 goals 94 points, next season he was ppg. No I would not trade Parise in his prime for Larsson.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
Okay, I have to get this thing feel at least semi ok in my head.

Getting rid of a 6m golden boy is a good thing.
Adding a RHD is a good thing.
Maybe this will make team spirit better and a happy Yakupov scoring a bunch of goals next to McDavid and Lucic.
Maybe the other golden boys will hear the message and be better players and teammates when thr clique is gone.
Maybe.... gahhh... still hate it.

**** in one hand, pray in the other. See which one fills up first.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If I needed the offense, why not.

I'm sure Nashville would have launched Weber out of a catapult if the Hawks offered Kane for him.

But Subban provides offense. The Oilers won't succeed with their current defense, it doesn't matter how many first line wingers we have.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
People need to stop penciling Lucic into the lineup. The man hasn't agreed to anything yet.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Lucic: Oh btw Chia, I'm going to sign with the Devils

I think if anything this trade helps to sign him.

If I may post my thoughts, at 1st I was shocked, couldn't believe, this is Hall we are talking about.

Value wise it doesn't look like a steal, or great, but if Lucic signs(and to a good contract) the team is better balanced, the team could be a playoff team next year with better longerm future.

Chia had to lose a trade to make the team better, but he did it without sacrifising the future, it was a 1-1 trade.
Still it's Hall they traded.

But Klefbom-Larsson should make a beauty top pairing, and Larsson is 23 6'3 signed for 6 more years at a bit over 4, so he's younger than Hall and will give close to 2M cap savings per year.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Not surprising

They just got a star forward for a tepid defensive defenseman. Some Oiler fans would feel bad too if the positions were switched.

True, I'd probably feel horrible if the shoe was on the other foot and we brutally ripped another team off.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Parise in his prime was a monster for us. He put up 45 goals 94 points, next season he was ppg. No I would not trade Parise in his prime for Larsson.

that pretty much sums up why Oilers fans would of never made this trade.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

Hall's numbers aren't as high, but he's one of the top wingers in the league. So if you want insight into the fans' outrage at the moment, you just got some insight into it.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
Lucic would be smart to pass on Oilers. The owner and all of management is absolutely brutal. Oilers won't do anything till the day Katz sells the team and the new owner fires OBC. There opinion is poison.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
While Larsson is an improvement on defense and I can get behind this trade with time, this sets a tone around the league and how they view Chia. It makes him look desperate and willing to trade anything. Teams are now aware and will play hard ball when Chia comes asking for their players.
This x1000 they will view him as a sucker and he is.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
People need to stop penciling Lucic into the lineup. The man hasn't agreed to anything yet.

If they made this trade without having Lucic locked up I might just get on the "fire Chia" bandwagon.

Parch

Jul 31, 2005
Oilers taking all the risk for potential and giving up guaranteed production, but there is no comparison between winger and defenceman trade value. Oilers were in a crappy position trying to trade forwards for quality defense. They were going to have to overpay no matter what.

It's painful to accept this deal, but that's the cost of defencemen right now. They would have got much better value if it was Hall for forwards, but you want D? That's a whole different market.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It really isn't. We got a defensmen that has no offence and is a #3 who at best is a #2 in the future. Oilers are a joke and always will be. How long till Nuge and Pouliot are injured for months and Maroon comes back to reality.

So much wrong with this post.

1. He plays top pairing minutes right now. He IS a #2D right NOW.
2. He had 18 points playing with the WORST offense in the league and getting 0 PP minutes.
3. He has an elite first pass - points will come if the forwards can make something happen with his good pass.
4. His draft pedigree suggested a player that was better than Hedman - especially offensively.

Oilers fans have to stop crying about Hall and give this player a chance. We got a good one in Larsson, let him prove it to us like he proved to the NJ Devils fans last year.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Well. Now Taylor and Tyler havw more in common, they were both traded by a meat head gm with no real knowledge of value

This. Chia is money when it comes to dealing with low value/picks, trading or drafting. But when it comes to dealing with significant value(Hall, Seguin, Reinhart trade), I have very little faith in him

This sucks because I was starting to believe in Chia again.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Hall's numbers aren't as high, but he's one of the top wingers in the league. So if you want insight into the fans' outrage at the moment, you just got some insight into it.

Strong argument he is the 3rd best LW in the league. It isn't fair value for you guys to trade that for a #2 Dman, so I understand. Oilers definitely should have gotten another good piece, and honestly if this was a proposal beforehand I would have included a 1st or something significant like that from our side.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
You really love a sheltered dman that much? He's Zidlicky 2.0, who i really liked in his prime. Vatanen is a good player but he can't play the kind of minutes Larsson will. I've never been a massive Vatanen fan.

no i don't really like vatanen actually... i just like larsson LESS... larsson is a stay at home dman who looked good for exactly one season playing with an ACTUAL first-pairing guy, and who has zero fricken offence in his game

larsson's top-end at this point is jason smith, but not nearly as tough

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
122 NHL defensemen have played at least 4000 minutes since 2012-13. Larsson has outscored: Scuderi, N. Schultz, Orpik, Gorges, M. Stuart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad