Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NJD] Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson: Mod warning #191

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Facts are facts and perceptions are perceptions. Regardless of why you think he shouldnt have been sent down he was, and didn't exactly light it up did he? He has 9 goals and 60 assists in almost 300 games. Cherry pick segments of stats lines all you want, he brings almost no offence to the table and ins't a good possession player. Taylor Hall was both of those things and then some. If he struggled on an ok devils team with ****** coaching, just imagine the train wreck he'll be on the light years ******** oilers team with infinitely ******** coaching.

The Reinhardt trade had me worried about Chiarelli's judgement, this confirms him as quite possibly the ********* oilers GM ever. Light years worse than Tambellini. At least we managed to retain our valuable assets with him.

Which got us just so far, didn't it?

We have enough freaking assets. We need a good defenceman. Chia used one of those assets to acquire a good defenceman. We are now a more balanced team with one less glaring hole. This is how the actual hockey teams get made. :)

Jun 9, 2011
I don't believe for a minute that Taylor Hall was the problem in the dressing room. He also showed a lot of emotion on the ice and didn't like losing. We still have Eberle, a guy that shows meh, if we lose. Chia should have waited. This was not a good move.

Listening to Gregor and whoever his guest is, is insinuating that guys like Hall and Subban were problems in the locker room.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
running chia out of town means nothing now. One thing is for certain. I hope Taylor Hall shows up Chia in NJ, cause this trade will be the joke of a trade for ever. Larsson will never live up to a #1 dman, or even a #2. He is not brent seabrook. Larsson is a glorified luke schenn IMO.

larsson is a decent #3, or good #4 in all likelihood .... and we gave up a top-3 LW in the world for him... yup, that makes a lot of sense

scalan15

Nov 7, 2006
South Brunswick , NJ
Long time Devils fan here, you guys are getting an amazing player in Larsson, he was held back for a few years by Peter DeBoer, he never gave Larsson a chance and the kid lost confidence, He may turn out to be another Lidstrom, this trade is great for both teams

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
This trade is going to be a huge part of Chia's legacy, one way or another. It all comes down to where Larson goes from here. If his offence breaks out and he emerges as a legit #1 dman, or even a high end #2, then the trade was a success. Saves cap, gives us a great young dman locked up long term. Klefbom/Larson has the potential to be one of the best pairings in the league (emphasis on potential).

But if Larson's offence doesn't emerge, if his defence isn't as strong as it looks in NJ's system, if Greene is just making him look good like Fayne... then this is going down as one of the worst trades in team history.

Chia says Larson was the guy. Unlike Reinhart, he scouted him himself. Out of all the potential RHD out there he could get without giving up McDavid, Larson was the one he wanted. This trade is all on Chia, and we'll know in a few years if he's the smartest guy in the room, or as big an idiot as he looks right now.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Gentlemen, gentlemen .... please.

Lucic coming onto the team will in fact be an upgrade over Hall when it comes to our powerplay. Hall just hasn't been that good there.

Having said this, Hall is, in my view, coming off his best season as a pro, and does drive offence 5x5. He's not an elite goalscorer, but nobody can dispute he puts up the points. Lucic won't replace this entirely, although when it comes to goal scoring, I think he is an adequate. Hall has never put up 30 goals in a season, despite playing on our top line and top PP unit his entire time here.

None of the coaches we have had have used him on the PK, and his game in his own zone has never been good. Do you see a situation where he would be used to protect a one goal lead in the playoffs? Me neither. You have to be able to defend, to be a complete player. Maybe none of this is a concern to XBox, but real NHL coaches and executives have to think of these things.

I haven't seen enough of Larsson to have an opinion, but, having a D that can quarterback the team out of its own end improves the team enormously. Think of the time Ryan Whitney joined this team. Before he got injured, and couldn't skate anymore, he had a huge effect on the team. I would argue Whitney had as much of a positive effect on this team as any player between the time Pronger left, and McDavid arrived. Just having the ability to vacuum up the puck in our zone, and move it ahead with precision.

Based on what I'm reading from experienced people who know Larsson, it sounds like we have a cerebral, highly touted young D here. He's also on a great contract.

A Klefbom - Larsson pairing could be the top anchor pairing we need to become a serious contender.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
i had suspicions that he was an idiot after the reinhart trade last year, but was willing to overlook it... this trade is so egregious that i can no longer over look it... chia is an idiot, end of story, full stop

I know right! Instantaneous regression in perception of competence. Honest question, if Hall=Larsson to Chia, what does McDavid equal?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
imo Larsson is a guy you need to watch all 82 games for most people to fully appreciate I think after next season is done most Edmonton fans will be happy with this move.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
While Larsson is an improvement on defense and I can get behind this trade with time, this sets a tone around the league and how they view Chia. It makes him look desperate and willing to trade anything. Teams are now aware and will play hard ball when Chia comes asking for their players.

Jun 9, 2011
This trade is going to be a huge part of Chia's legacy, one way or another. It all comes down to where Larson goes from here. If his offence breaks out and he emerges as a legit #1 dman, or even a high end #2, then the trade was a success. Saves cap, gives us a great young dman locked up long term. Klefbom/Larson has the potential to be one of the best pairings in the league (emphasis on potential).

But if Larson's offence doesn't emerge, if his defence isn't as strong as it looks in NJ's system, if Greene is just making him look good like Fayne... then this is going down as one of the worst trades in team history.

Chia says Larson was the guy. Unlike Reinhart, he scouted him himself. Out of all the potential RHD out there he could get without giving up McDavid, Larson was the one he wanted. This trade is all on Chia, and we'll know in a few years if he's the smartest guy in the room, or as big an idiot as he looks right now.
I bet Chia blows that cap on a stupid Lucic contract. Chia is an idiot. Larsson is going to help our d, but it won't be Hall worth of improvement and Lucic can't fill Hall's spot. Our team just lost one of the most exciting players on our team as well.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
Long time Devils fan here, you guys are getting an amazing player in Larsson, he was held back for a few years by Peter DeBoer, he never gave Larsson a chance and the kid lost confidence, He may turn out to be another Lidstrom, this trade is great for both teams

It really isn't. We got a defensmen that has no offence and is a #3 who at best is a #2 in the future. Oilers are a joke and always will be. How long till Nuge and Pouliot are injured for months and Maroon comes back to reality.

McNutty780

Apr 12, 2011
I like the idea of Lucic in the screen on the PP. He wont replace hall but our team will be better suited for the West against the likes of St Louis/Anaheim.LA

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Okay, I have to get this thing feel at least semi ok in my head.

Getting rid of a 6m golden boy is a good thing.
Adding a RHD is a good thing.
Maybe this will make team spirit better and a happy Yakupov scoring a bunch of goals next to McDavid and Lucic.
Maybe the other golden boys will hear the message and be better players and teammates when thr clique is gone.
Maybe.... gahhh... still hate it.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
You were dreamin if you thought we wouldn't get fleeced. Learn how a market works.

I think this makes us a better team though, assuming the other two get signed.

Always liked Hall, thought he was unfairly criticized but he took the pressure well. Hope he flourishes in NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad