Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NJD] Maroon for 2019 3rd Round Pick and JD Dudek

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Or there wasnt much of a market for 20 games worth of Maroon.

Vanek garnered an inferior return to both Maroon and Letestu. He is a much more productive player this season as well than Maroon has been. You can only compare the return got in the current market. The market was soft

That's what I was saying.

There probably wasn't a huge market for him in the first place, but then teams like Boston, Winnipeg and Tampa got their guys, so that market shrunk even more.

I don't mind the return. A 3rd is nice and Dudek doesn't look like anything special, but he has been playing #1C at Boston College in the last few lineup cards I've seen. McPhee and Rasanen are on the same team, so I would assume they've seen a good bit of him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Keith, we have the same amount of actual top 6 wingers on our team now than we did a few hours ago.
I'm not even that big of a Maroon fan but this team is very much devoid of talent on the wings. If Maroon signs here in the offseason for cheap this is a lot easier to bear but a 3rd and a b-prospect is very underwhelming.

Also why no Cammalleri deal?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I wonder if the door is open for Maroon to come back in July.

No doubt he will try to strike a big contract, but what if that isn't out there?

If not, I'm gonna miss the guy.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Chiarelli is such a disappointment. The fact that we had to give up a 2nd to pick up this loser feels like a big joke. Please fire him this summer before he does any more damage.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The next GM to deal with Chia is just salivating right now. Chia just made himself an easy target

Do you really think NHL GMs are just like a bunch of guys in a hockey draft? Chia traded a 4th and a contract for Maroon, got two very good years out of a player who didnt want to resign here and then traded him for a 3rd and a prospect. What is there to be so mad about. Maybe you had crazy high expectations for the return and were one of the fools who thought we'd get a 1st for him? :laugh:

Reactions: RegDunlop

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Dudek is a whole lot of nothing. Our sixth rounders playing for Boston College are better and more productive.

This is a failure of a trade.

That said the market for Maroon was set when Kane only returned a 2nd and a nothing prospect.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Do you really think NHL GMs are just like a bunch of guys in a hockey draft? Chia traded a 4th and a contract for Maroon, got two very good years out of a player who didnt want to resign here and then traded him for a 3rd and a prospect. What is there to be so mad about. Maybe you had crazy high expectations for the return and were one of the fools who thought we'd get a 1st for him? :laugh:
Product of McDavid or not, players with 0.5 ppg go for more than a 3rd round pick.

Reactions: Aerrol and ujju2

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Think market dried up.

Some players got quite a bit, other players didnt get much. Nash and Tatar got pretty good hauls. Kane and Vanek didnt get much.

Think Maroon speed, inability to produce without McDavid and not having much versatility in terms of special teams hurts his value.

Still think it was the right move to trade him. Wish we could of kept Maroon and traded Lucic, but I think it would of been a mistake to move forward with both on the roster.

Going to miss Maroon though. Good character guy.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I think a break is in order. I feel myself getting dumber just reading some of the posts on here....lol

There really is nothing to be mad about with the Letestu trade or this one.

Reactions: Seachd and nabob

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

This, people had crazy expectations for this trade, everyone in the league knows he won’t produce like he has in Edmonton with Mcdavid. I would blame Maroons agent if anything, would not be surprised at all if he doesn’t do to well with NJ, and plummets his stock before UFA. Best thing for Maroon would have been to sign in Edmonton. I wish him luck, but people have to remember he was borderline headed to the minors when we picked him up. We have a more expensive version of him in Lucic.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Chiarelli gets a D for this trade deadline.

No bluechip prospects. No 2ND or better picks. Team is worse...

Aberg is a Longshot for a declining Letestu. Meh but not terrible.

Losing a solid depth defender for a third is a net loss to the team despite a third being good asset relatively speaking. Davidson for third.

A third and 25 year old nothing prospect for a top 9 winger (Maroon) is garbage. A second would have been Much better imo. Shero must have something on Chiarelli. I like the Hall for Larsson deal but was expecting a second rounder to make up the difference. Now he scopes Maroon and avoids getting the second rounder yet again.

Only good thing is that we didn't get nothing for our UFAs. Hopefully Nuge can stick around with Maroon gone. Highly doubt Maron circles back. He will want get paid.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
If the market truly was only a '19 3rd and a C-level prospect for Maroon, then it only accentuates that they got back more than expected for Davidson.

Also, sounds like Chiarelli will be having his media presser in about 45 minutes.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Really? What was Vanek traded for? Keep in mind that Vanek is a much better two way player that is out producing Maroon.
That was also a bad trade. Nothing more to say to it. Unless Benning is some sort of wizard GM I don't know about

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Dudek is a whole lot of nothing. Our sixth rounders playing for Boston College are better and more productive.

This is a failure of a trade.
Eh. We got a 3rd round pick which was really all he was worth. Dudek was probably a throw in.

Vanek is having a better year than Maroon, has a better past and got slightly more than what Maroon did.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
As usual, HF overvalues their own players. It's a weak return and Chia is an awful GM but Maroon is a 3rd liner that was clearly a product of McDavid. Every GM knows this. I was hoping for a 2nd but was expecting a 3rd so I'm not too surprised.

Ideally, they could have dealt Lucic and re-signed Maroon but with Lucic being unmovable, it's just too much slow on the left side had they retained Maroon so they needed to get something for him. I'll miss Patty though, gave us a lot of good moments and has a great personality that will be missed.

Oh and this site blows chunks. Only thing worse than an underwhelming deadline is dealing with this ridiculous crashing after Hartman level deals. Be better HF

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Think market dried up.

Some players got quite a bit, other players didnt get much. Nash and Tatar got pretty good hauls. Kane and Vanek didnt get much.

Think Maroon speed, inability to produce without McDavid and not having much versatility in terms of special teams hurts his value.

Still think it was the right move to trade him. Wish we could of kept Maroon and traded Lucic, but I think it would of been a mistake to move forward with both on the roster.

Going to miss Maroon though. Good character guy.

The thing is that anyone using Tatar, Nash or Kane as comps for Maroon is way out to lunch.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Eh. We got a 3rd round pick which was really all he was worth. Dudek was probably a throw in.

Vanek is having a better year than Maroon, has a better past and got slightly more than what Maroon did.
It's a good thing the Oilers have strong drafting and development...

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Barzal alone is probably more valuable than every asset that Chiarelli has been able to acquire since he has been here and I say that as a Larsson fan.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
well the oilers got about what he was worth.
I think we all knew anyone who thought he could get a first were dreaming.
I'm still laughing that several people thought he could be worth a first plus a prospect.

good luck Maroon!

Reactions: Shathar

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Have you watched Maroon in the last two months? Not a single f*** was given. Recent performance and nagging injury I’m betting played a part.

Maroon Letestu and Davidson

For

Aberg, 3rd, 3rd, Dudek.

... I dunno. C grade maybe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad