Proposal: EDM Issues #1 Goalie options

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
There is a wealth of issues that are holding the Oilers back and goalie is probably the most prominent one. I will be doing a series of Oiler Issues proposals, but I wanted to get the goalie one done first so I know what I have left to fill other holes.

Options:

option-1

EDM: Price at 50%
MTL: Koskinen, 2022-1st, Lavoie

Price is the riskiest of the goalies given the place he is at in his career, but this is what it would take IMO top get that much retained. Price also has the highest upside but is 34 years old, but given the age of all of the options this is not a unique issue.

option-2

EDM: Varlamov
NYI: Koskinen, 2022-1st

Varlamov is the youngest of the options and has one more year of term. The term is a plus and a minus for Edm given their cap constraints.

option-3
EDM-Quick
LA: Koskinen, 2022-1st

This an interdivision trade and would depend if LA drops out.

Option-4

EDM: MA Fleury at 50%, Strome
CHI: 2022-1st, Koskinen, Benson.

I would not pay a first for Fleury even with them taking Koskinen, but I would sweeten a first bit for Stome as well.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
You see with those packages it just doesn't make any sense price has the low of value, and I'm a oiler fan.

Price is the face of that franchise, I just don't see the Habs giving him up for that...

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
There is a wealth of issues that are holding the Oilers back and goalie is probably the most prominent one. I will be doing a series of Oiler Issues proposals, but I wanted to get the goalie one done first so I know what I have left to fill other holes.

Options:

option-1

Price is the riskiest of the goalies given the place he is at in his career, but this is what it would take IMO top get that much retained. Price also has the highest upside but is 34 years old, but given the age of all of the options this is not a unique issue.

option-2

Varlamov is the youngest of the options and has one more year of term. The term is a plus and a minus for Edm given their cap constraints.

option-3
EDM-Quick

Option-4

I would not pay a first for Fleury even with them taking Koskinen, but I would sweeten a first bit for Stome as well.
You think Montreal is just going to eat $25M in real money for Lavoie and a first?

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
lol, you're just giving away 1st round picks like it's Christmas (well, it actually is). A 1st round pick is the highest coveted asset in regards to drafting, which is the core of a franchise. Let's look at some of Edmonton's recent 1st rounders: Evan Bouchard, Philip Broberg, Xavier Borgeault, Dylan Holloway, Kailer Yamamoto, Jesse Puljujarvi. I don't know any Oiler fan, that would trade any of those prospects, just to swap a rental goaltender, every single one of them past their prime, and comes with cap problems.

Option 2 is comical, Varlamov is pretty much a Russian mirror image of Koskinen, but with another year left on his contract. Both 33, both .900 sv %, both struggling, but at least Mikko's contract ends this summer. Varly still has another year left, 5M cap hit. The last thing Edmonton needs is another past his time goalie with cap problems. And you're also willing to throw in a 1st rounder? lol. What happens if Varly comes in, and preforms even worse than Koskinen? Now we're stuck with him for yet another year, 5M cap hit and without a 1st round pick.

None of those options are viable imo, terrible for Edmonton and it's coveted 1st round pick. Might as well just wait until the summer, let Mikko/Skinner/Smith battle it out, and sign a free agent in the summer, without having to give up any assets at all, let alone a 1st round pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the Oil need a 3C more than they need a goalie.

Though of course they want a goalie upgrade. I would wait until the deadline.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
If I were Edmonton, I’d would go with the option that wasn’t listed Joonas Korpisalo from Columbus.

Not sure what Columbus fans would want in return for Finnish UFA to be Korpisalo but Korpi is only 27, making him younger then every goaltender in the OP and Korpi also makes less then every tender in the OP.

Korpisalo’s contract extension doesn’t seem like it would be a killer to the Oilers cap situation either, if an extension would be negotiated before a trade was made.

Maybe I’m missing something but that would seem like that would be down Edmonton’s alley.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
options 2-4 make me find a new club. Those are beyond trash. Montreal in option 1 might not want to do that retention.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
lol, you're just giving away 1st round picks like it's Christmas (well, it actually is). A 1st round pick is the highest coveted asset in regards to drafting, which is the core of a franchise. Let's look at some of Edmonton's recent 1st rounders: Evan Bouchard, Philip Broberg, Xavier Borgeault, Dylan Holloway, Kailer Yamamoto, Jesse Puljujarvi. I don't know any Oiler fan, that would trade any of those prospects, just to swap a rental goaltender, every single one of them past their prime, and comes with cap problems.

Option 2 is comical, Varlamov is pretty much a Russian mirror image of Koskinen, but with another year left on his contract. Both 33, both .900 sv %, both struggling, but at least Mikko's contract ends this summer. Varly still has another year left, 5M cap hit. The last thing Edmonton needs is another past his time goalie with cap problems. And you're also willing to throw in a 1st rounder? lol. What happens if Varly comes in, and preforms even worse than Koskinen? Now we're stuck with him for yet another year, 5M cap hit and without a 1st round pick.

None of those options are viable imo, terrible for Edmonton and it's coveted 1st round pick. Might as well just wait until the summer, let Mikko/Skinner/Smith battle it out, and sign a free agent in the summer, without having to give up any assets at all, let alone a 1st round pick

Im not saying Varlamov is the Oilers answer, but its comical that you think hes past his prime based off of an 8 game sample size. Most of the games he has played, the team was missing half of their players, and specifically defensemen.

Varlamov is still a very good goalie, and he has been great the past 3 years. Just because Sorokin is proving to be better doesnt mean Varly is past his prime.

You can win a stanley cup with Varly in net, i have absolutely no doubt about that. I cannot say the same for Koskinen.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
None of these options are viable.
Quick is 35, Varmarlov is 33 and his consistency is questionable, MaF is 37 and Price not only 34 but he's got his own issues to deal with before anyone considers his trade value.
None of these are viable options.
What is Edmonton supposed to do? Go out and spend a 1st rounder and a B to A level prospect every 2-3 years? That's insane.
If Edmonton is going to spend significant assets on a goalie, it's going to have to include a long term solution.

You can win a stanley cup with Varly in net, i have absolutely no doubt about that. I cannot say the same for Koskinen.

No way he's that good behind Edmonton's bluline this year.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
I'm still pretty sure there have been talks with Oilers and Rask.
People assuming Rask has 2 options, Bruins or retirement are insane IMO. He still has some good years left, and would suit Oilers better than any other goalie right now.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

1st round picks are coveted but getting a 31/32 OA isn’t as much as a blue chip prospect. Which means if your asking a team to eat Kosk then it will be multiple 1sts or a 1st plus one of EDM Blue Chip prospects. Honestly I go after Fluery and don’t give up the farm and hopefully address it in the off-season.

Or if you want to really roll the dice try for Georgiev out of NYR. It seems he needs to be the true number one to be successful and he just won’t get that there. Don’t overpay but at least with EDM the crease would be his to lose. Unfortunately he isn’t exactly cemented as true number 1 status. Perhaps a vet like smith can help the kid.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I can’t see the Islanders bringing back Koskinen again. The only way I can see them moving Varlamov is if the return involves quality offensive help or someone who can fill the Nick Leddy void (top 4 LHD who can carry the puck and isn’t completely inept in his own zone).

Reactions: Ciao

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If Price was healthy, he would be the more logical option for the Oilers. But that’s not the case right now.

and his contract might be too complicate to work around considering the terms on it.

what could maybe be an option is Mtl retains something like 3,5 M$. A third team retains 2M$. Mtl takes koskinen’s contract and a cap dump like Ceci.

mtl gets Bourgault as the main piece of the trade. They also get a 2nd in 2022 that becomes a 1st if Edmonton makes it to conference final this year and a 2nd in 2023 that becomes a 1st based on numbers of games played by Price next season.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
If I were Edmonton, I’d would go with the option that wasn’t listed Joonas Korpisalo from Columbus.

Not sure what Columbus fans would want in return for Finnish UFA to be Korpisalo but Korpi is only 27, making him younger then every goaltender in the OP and Korpi also makes less then every tender in the OP.

Korpisalo’s contract extension doesn’t seem like it would be a killer to the Oilers cap situation either, if an extension would be negotiated before a trade was made.

Maybe I’m missing something but that would seem like that would be down Edmonton’s alley.

In one breath your right, it would be down Edmonton’s Alley to get yet another below average goalie and put their hopes in him. What I think people miss in suggesting this is once again Korpisalo is not good. He’s sub .900 Sv% for the second year in a system that is much tighter defensively then Edmonton’s. Korpisalo had one decent season really his entire career, in a very defensive minded CBJ lineup.

To suggest that Edmonton should, arguably, give up a better goalie to find a worse one, makes little sense. Both Koskinen and Skinner, not to mention a healthy Smith, are better options then trading assets for, and signing an extension?!?, Korpisalo.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I'm still pretty sure there have been talks with Oilers and Rask.
People assuming Rask has 2 options, Bruins or retirement are insane IMO. He still has some good years left, and would suit Oilers better than any other goalie right now.
Im pretty sure Rask has had no talks with the Oilers and you just made that up in your head. Do you have a link to anything that says otherwise? Rask said himself that he is not playing for another NHL team.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Options:

option-1

option-2

option-3
EDM-Quick

Option-4

The best option i see for the Oilers is to go after Fleury. He wouldn't cost a 1st.

Option 1 is a no go from the Habs as they will not retain 50% of Price's contract especially for that little of a return.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Im pretty sure Rask has had no talks with the Oilers and you just made that up in your head. Do you have a link to anything that says otherwise? Rask said himself that he is not playing for another NHL team.

Until Bruins aren't an option anymore. What then? Tier 1 goaltender as a free agent. What do you think will happen?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Montreal is not retaining on Price. That’s 100% not going to happen. We can take on 1-3 years contracts you don’t want anymore to make the $ work but we ain’t retaining

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Options:

option-1

I think it's extremely unlikely that Montreal would have any interest at all in retaining 50 percent on Price. Then, on top of it you expect them to take on Koskinen's contract too? I don't see how a 1st and Lavoie are somehow worth an enormous salary retention and taking on a grossly overpaid player.

That's a pipe dream.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

I agreed, Edmonton should keep its first pick and hopefully get back to the lottery to draft those prospects.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad