Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Jeff Skinner signs with the Oilers (1 year, $3M)

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Skinner the type of free agent signing that every fan would be excited about if their team got him for 3M, but instead they didn't and now everyone wants to drag him through the mud and pretend he isn't still one of the best goal scoring wingers in the league.
Not the perfect player but a dynamic offensive weapon and game breaker if utilized correctly with the Oil.

I could see him bounced up and down from line one to line two given the opponent. McDavid and Hyman permanent fixtures on line one. Draisaitl and Arvidsson on line two.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm curious what they do with Skinner in regards to PP1 vs. PP2. Some of his worst struggles were how he killed play for the Sabres first unit all year. Yes, he was productive in relation to his teammates, yet his puck touches led to a lot of issues with mishandles and lost possession. He was not a good bumper. But since they have Hyman as an excellent net-front guy keeping pucks alive and have a trio of excellent playmakers in McDavid/Drai/Bouchard it may free him up to just work to seams to finish passes from others instead of handling. Or he goes onto the 2nd unit and draws penalties for PP1 to do it's dominant things.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm curious what they do with Skinner in regards to PP1 vs. PP2. Some of his worst struggles were how he killed play for the Sabres first unit all year. Yes, he was productive in relation to his teammates, yet his puck touches led to a lot of issues with mishandles and lost possession. He was not a good bumper. But since they have Hyman as an excellent net-front guy keeping pucks alive and have a trio of excellent playmakers in McDavid/Drai/Bouchard it may free him up to just work to seams to finish passes from others instead of handling. Or he goes onto the 2nd unit and draws penalties for PP1 to do it's dominant things.
He probably won’t see PP1 time. Although with his skill and right hand shot there could be an argument to give him a look there. But the Oils PP1 has been league best for year with the same 5 guys, they probably won’t change it up.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Skinner is horrible on the PP and constantly kills plays. Can produce at 5v5 though. I don’t think he’s a fit with McDavid seeing how he plays and how his wheels are coming off speed wise.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He probably won’t see PP1 time. Although with his skill and right hand shot there could be an argument to give him a look there. But the Oils PP1 has been league best for year with the same 5 guys, they probably won’t change it up.

That's my assumption - he will draw some calls, still good at that for sure, and if he's doing that it's like generating HDSCs and goals all on its own. I expect him to pot 25+ goals and generally have a bounce back.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC

There is exactly 0% chance he bumps anyone off PP1.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
RNH is with McDavid what make this powerplay fluid. I don't think they change anything and Skinner will have to contem with the 40ish seconds the 2nd wave may offer to him.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Skinner is horrible on the PP and constantly kills plays. Can produce at 5v5 though. I don’t think he’s a fit with McDavid seeing how he plays and how his wheels are coming off speed wise.
In the finals, injured McDavid was held back by how deep inside Hyman the Panthers were.

Skinner is good in front of the net, so when teams take away Hyman's stick, it gives McDavid another option. I think he will fit with McDavid, just as well as Hyman has. You don't have to be fast to play with McDavid, Pat Maroon was a good fit

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
In the finals, injured McDavid was held back by how deep inside Hyman the Panthers were.

Skinner is good in front of the net, so when teams take away Hyman's stick, it gives McDavid another option. I think he will fit with McDavid, just as well as Hyman has. You don't have to be fast to play with McDavid, Pat Maroon was a good fit
Skinner is fine in front of the net I wouldn’t say he’s good. Comparing Maroon versus Skinner is also a choice - everyone knows exactly how Maroon is gonna play.

Skinner’s double edged sword is that nobody knows what he’s planning to do. Including his own teammates.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
What number is Skinner going to be in Edmonton? I want a jersey. I don't like the way he was scapegoated in Buffalo. I'm still a Sabres fan, but I'm keeping Oilers and Skinner on the backburner. Not all in. It will be a cheap fake jersey. LOL.

Reactions: Macheteops

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Oilers have the PP covered.

More 5v5 scoring is what they are looking for, and Skinner's results there over the last 3 years looks promising.

+30 at 5v5. Me likey.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Hell be on PP2.

Skinner - Henrique - Arvidsson
Ekholm - X

I think he will fit based on being able to find ice and read off good players. You don't need to be a straight line speedster to play with Connor, he creates everywhere on the ice not just off the rush.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Bennington, Korpisalo, Desmith, Spencer Martin. Load sharing. It seems to me they don't have as much confidence in Picard as they should.

Picard should be given the chance to steal the job. Any backup should be given the chance to steal the job.
None of those goalies are upgrades, and all have worse contracts. Skinner has a career .910, was second in calder voting just last year and played in the SCF as a sophomore. I think we're good.

Not to mention he makes 2.6M for two more years and is an excellent value on our cap

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Broberg asserted himself well as basically a rookie in high pressure playoffs, they should let him play. There's always the trade deadline anyway if they want to add more to the backend, but Florida and Dallas and Vancouver all had problems scoring against the Oilers as those series went longer, which indicates their D was holding.

Please don't use actual stats, I prefer my Toronto based narratives that the Oilers can't defend

Reactions: Chainshot

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
There is exactly 0% chance he bumps anyone off PP1.

Skinner's strength is 5 on 5 and pouncing on opportunities. I don't believe he has slowed as much as people say. His second half stats look terrible
Oilers have the PP covered.

More 5v5 scoring is what they are looking for, and Skinner's results there over the last 3 years looks promising.

+30 at 5v5. Me likey.

He will be fine 5 on 5. Your best bet is pair him with a centre who has defensive attitude but can skate.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Bennington, Korpisalo, Desmith, Spencer Martin. Load sharing. It seems to me they don't have as much confidence in Picard as they should.

Picard should be given the chance to steal the job. Any backup should be given the chance to steal the job.
Binnington is the only one of those better than what we have at the moment, and he is a #1, which we don't need. Korpisalo? No good. Desmith? Pickard was better last year.

Tell us your opinions are full of shit takes without telling us they're full of shit takes.
All he has is his useless JFresh charts. I can't believe anyone takes those seriously.

Reactions: Kerberos

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So we have some Sabres fans claiming he needs PP time to produce, and this individual claiming he kills plays on the PP and is a good producer at 5v5.

5v5, he likely gets a look with Draisaitl first. I could see Skinner - Draisaitl - with either Kane or Arvidsson as that 2nd line.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So we have some Sabres fans claiming he needs PP time to produce, and this individual claiming he kills plays on the PP and is a good producer at 5v5.

5v5, he likely gets a look with Draisaitl first. I could see Skinner - Draisaitl - with either Kane or Arvidsson as that 2nd line.

He got some PP points because he was on it, not because he was good on it. Too much time to think, too much time to have to move the puck and he would overhandle. As a shot option, mid range he can do some things but he is far better in the chaos of 5-on-5.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers won't be changing up PP1, but they will actually run a second unit next season. Assuming Kane is healthy, they'll probably run Skinner, Arvidsson, Kane, and maybe even a fourth forward in Henrique or Perry on a second unit. Last season they'd throw out Kane with a bunch of grinders, and maybe get lucky here and there, but this season they'll use a second unit to keep McDavid and Draisaitl's minutes down.

These are all veteran forwards who have played on the PP for years, I could see them being reasonably productive for a second unit.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
"Since the pandemic" ... way back in the time when you were inventing electricity in 2023...

He dropped 27 5v5 goals.

View attachment 892360
Got it. So we went from last decade to only cherry picking the 2022-23 season. We are just going to conveniently leaving out 2019-2022 where he was 131st in the league in 5v5 points and averaged a 35 point pace per 82.

Cool

Oilers won't be changing up PP1, but they will actually run a second unit next season. Assuming Kane is healthy, they'll probably run Skinner, Arvidsson, Kane, and maybe even a fourth forward in Henrique or Perry on a second unit. Last season they'd throw out Kane with a bunch of grinders, and maybe get lucky here and there, but this season they'll use a second unit to keep McDavid and Draisaitl's minutes down.

These are all veteran forwards who have played on the PP for years, I could see them being reasonably productive for a second unit.
How much time does the 2nd unit actually get there? In the playoffs, they didnt even bother to bring it out most of the time.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Skinner's strength is 5 on 5 and pouncing on opportunities. I don't believe he has slowed as much as people say. His second half stats look terrible

He will be fine 5 on 5. Your best bet is pair him with a centre who has defensive attitude but can skate.
So neither of McDavid or Draisaitl? They're elite scorers, but lets not pretend they're up for a Selke anytime soon. They are all O and get very sheltered O zone starts, which they should with their O talent.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

Sounds like him and McDavid will work just great

So neither of McDavid or Draisaitl? They're elite scorers, but lets not pretend they're up for a Selke anytime soon. They are all O and get very sheltered O zone starts, which they should with their O talent.
Did you watch McDavid in the playoffs? Lol this narrative needs to die

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Got it. So we went from last decade to only cherry picking the 2022-23 season. We are just going to conveniently leaving out 2019-2022 where he was 131st in the league in 5v5 points and averaged a 35 point pace per 82.

Cool

How much time does the 2nd unit actually get there? In the playoffs, they didnt even bother to bring it out most of the time.

Listen Ben Franklin, i appreciate your passionate dislike of the Oilers and Skinner, but you'd think by now comparing how a player produces outside the organization and thinking its a marker for future success with our players would be unwise. Do you think playing with Connor McDavid may be slightly different than playing with Curtis Lazar and Victor Oloffson (his top linemates in 20/21)? I'll hang up and listen.

To think adding a guy who can easily pot 30 at 5v5 (for 3 million with zero term!) is a bad move is pretty funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad