Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Chances are....Savoie isn't playing this year unless there are injuries. He needs a year of development without getting hurt. I expect him to make the jump next year or possibly late in the season this year.

He is small but that being said, he is kinda like jack Hughes. His speed and skill are up there for sure.

If Kane is healthy...
I would run him with Kane and nuge or...
Drai and Kane.
I've been pumping up the idea of a Kane-Nuge-Savoie 3rd line that gets baby soft minutes and offensive zone starts. Will be interesting to see how he looks in camp and preseason.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
This is a steal! I like McLeod, but getting Savoie a 20 year old that had 47 points in 23 games in WHL as well as 5 points in 6 games in the AHL he is looking like a real good prospect. Oilers have traded so many of their draft picks away to win now which is the right move if you are close to winning the Stanley Cup, but it's nice to get some youth for our future. We really need some young prospects. This is a big win I think.

Reactions: Duke74

Hollywood55

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Chances are....Savoie isn't playing this year unless there are injuries. He needs a year of development without getting hurt. I expect him to make the jump next year or possibly late in the season this year.

He is small but that being said, he is kinda like jack Hughes. His speed and skill are up there for sure.

If Kane is healthy...
I would run him with Kane and nuge or...
Drai and Kane.
Savoie is small but tbh McLeod played like he was 5'6" a lot of nights lol

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
In no world right now is Brown the 2nd winger. Janmark Henrique Brown IS our strong 3rd defensive line. They just happen to score too. With Arvidsson and Skinner on board, our top 6 is set.
RNH McDavid Hyman
Skinner Draisaitl Arvidsson
Janmark Henrique Brown
Holloway Ryan/Hamblin/Philp? Perry

Where does Kane go in when healthy?

Skinner McDavid Hyman
Kane Draisaitl Arvidsson
Holloway RNH Perry
Janmark Henrique Brown

- I put Kane with Drai and Arvi as I think a third of Kane RNH Perry would be too slow. Holloway evens out Perry with RNH. Obviously TOI would be pretty even between the 3rd and 4th lines.
Id love the E Kane edition of oilers. But capwise its imopssible. Something IS going to happen, if not they sitting on the fact about Kane is going a year on LTIR... thats what I suspect.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
This is a steal! I like McLeod, but getting Savoie a 20 year old that had 47 points in 23 games in WHL as well as 5 points in 6 games in the AHL he is looking like a real good prospect. Oilers have traded so many of their draft picks away to win now which is the right move if you are close to winning the Stanley Cup, but it's nice to get some youth for our future. We really need some young prospects. This is a big win I think.
Is there a chance both savoie, Matthew and carter is playing in NHL?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Twitter's been around since 2007. I think it's time to make an account.
Never. Can't stand the format or most of the content, Not my cup of tea.

Possibly it reads much different when one has an account but Twitter or X is a big ol mess to read and try to follow without an account. Maybe one needs a tutorial to make sense of it. Or probably its just a waste of time and effort.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Never. Can't stand the format or most of the content, Not my cup of tea.

Possibly it reads much different when one has an account but Twitter or X is a big ol mess to read and try to follow without an account. Maybe one needs a tutorial to make sense of it. Or probably its just a waste of time and effort.

With an account and picking who you follow - and avoiding the comments - it can be a good use for hockey news. I have about 30 - 35 accounts I follow, all hockey accounts and no fan accounts. About 10 accounts of hobbies I have or bands I like. 44 accounts that’s it. Keeps it nice and tight and useful.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
This is the key point.

I take a week off and comeback and the board is going nuts over some kid anointing it as a hot trade.

We traded an actual NHL player, a guy that is healthy that plays every game, can play up and down the lineup, that is a big part of a pk, that has pace, is very good at zone exits and entries and goal suppression for a kid that has played 3mins in the NHL and with shoulder injury histories already this early in his career and that kid hasn't played against men yet.

Going off Savoie's scouting reports and self reports also a theme where he needs to hold and carry the puck more, is the player already reticent doing this? Seems odd for a producer to be a bit shy on possessing puck. At least thats whats being stated.

In anycase Sabres who have handled more prospects than us have traded the player. Theres been some suggestion, not sure if its garbage, that Sabres moved from Savoie possibly due to injury history.

In anycase Savoie hasn't even played in AHL much to this point. He's an unknown even at AHL level. People here talking as if he's already a shoe in with the Oilers in the NHL.

Bird in hand used to be the rule.

Shocking analysis from the most predictable poster on the board. Fact is Oilers had to move cap. To get a very high upside player with 3 years of ELC in a necessary move instead of paying assets or receiving a draft pick is a win. Pick would almost certainly have no impact in next three years. We needed to make salary room either way. Why not take chance on local born player who was 9th overall 2 years ago, just put up 2PPG on way to WHL championship (he was ineligible to play in AHL this season)? In past oilers would have waited for McLeod to have 2 goals after 55 games and trade him for a 5th

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
With an account and picking who you follow - and avoiding the comments - it can be a good use for hockey news. I have about 30 - 35 accounts I follow, all hockey accounts and no fan accounts. About 10 accounts of hobbies I have or bands I like. 44 accounts that’s it. Keeps it nice and tight and useful.
I'm not much of a follower you've probably gathered. heh. Thanks for the help but outside select interests I wouldn't use it much at all. Always felt like the typical twat viewpoints were as far removed from mine as is possible. I've viewed twitter as a leftist cesspool.

Reactions: Biltmore

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm not much of a follower you've probably gathered. heh. Thanks for the help but outside select interests I wouldn't use it much at all. Always felt like the typical twat viewpoints were as far removed from mine as is possible. I've viewed twitter as a leftist cesspool.

I don’t see any politics on Twitter / X as I don’t follow any political people. And the hockey I get is from Rishaug, Stauffer, Johnson, Seravalli, etc who don’t really get much into opinion, just news and player movement rumours and analysis.

The fan accounts are the ones that get heavy into opinion and I get enough of that here. Works well for me.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Shocking analysis from the most predictable poster on the board. Fact is Oilers had to move cap. To get a very high upside player with 3 years of ELC in a necessary move instead of paying assets or receiving a draft pick that will almost certainly have no impact in next three years is a win.
Shocking that I liked McLeod and saw value in him and supported that value?

I'm not the grass is always greener moving out players that some are.

As many have said in the thread we moved out an actual NHL player, and really his contract wasn't that much, for a guy that hasn't even seen the show (well barely)

Being an old enough Oilers fans the amount this team gives up on its own players and prospects should be whats shocking.

Anyway screw off if you want to take more potshots.

Reactions: scott57

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
"Before being traded to the Oilers, Matt Savoie named Ryan Nugent-Hopkins his hockey hero."

I would absolutely love it if this young man would skate with Connor after Connor heals up. He looks to try and play a similar speed and stickhandling game and who better to learn from than #97 himself?

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Shocking that I liked McLeod and saw value in him and supported that value?

I'm not the grass is always greener moving out players that some are.

As many have said in the thread we moved out an actual NHL player, and really his contract wasn't that much, for a guy that hasn't even seen the show (well barely)

Being an old enough Oilers fans the amount this team gives up on its own players and prospects should be whats shocking.

Anyway screw off if you want to take more potshots.
Drive, you have to read the rest of my post. This is a good bet considering the alternative. We will desperately need cost controlled players in the next few seasons with big extensions coming to our stars. McLeod would want a raise next year. Yes he was good, no one is saying otherwise. But he was soft in playoffs and had limited offensive upside. Point is this is a measured bet, a much stronger one than we have seen this organization make in the past. Savoie likely plays NHL games this year or next and has a full ELC for us to utilize. That alone is extreme value. Could step right in for J Skinner as early as next year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is the key point.

I take a week off and comeback and the board is going nuts over some kid anointing it as a hot trade.

We traded an actual NHL player, a guy that is healthy that plays every game, can play up and down the lineup, that is a big part of a pk, that has pace, is very good at zone exits and entries and goal suppression for a kid that has played 3mins in the NHL and with shoulder injury histories already this early in his career and that kid hasn't played against men yet.

Going off Savoie's scouting reports and self reports also a theme where he needs to hold and carry the puck more, is the player already reticent doing this? Seems odd for a producer to be a bit shy on possessing puck. At least thats whats being stated.

In anycase Sabres who have handled more prospects than us have traded the player. Theres been some suggestion, not sure if its garbage, that Sabres moved from Savoie possibly due to injury history.

In anycase Savoie hasn't even played in AHL much to this point. He's an unknown even at AHL level. People here talking as if he's already a shoe in with the Oilers in the NHL.

Bird in hand used to be the rule.
By this logic trading Ryan for a 1st overall pick is a bad trade.

At the end of the day we traded a guy who on his best day would be our 10th best forward who was making 2mill a year who lost his job to pretty much every forward on the team.

He was useless offensively and away from Draisaitl and with him was okay okay. He is okay defensively good sometimes and his penalty killing while good was replaceable by many we still have. We may miss his speed but really. We cleared much needed cap by moving our 4c, 12th best forward.

In return we got cap space and a high end prospect who will start seeing play next year when we get need all the savings we can get with Draisaitls contract.

Edit: also he doesn’t need to possess the puck much, especially here. If he makes the team anytime soon it’ll be in the top 6 where he just needs to get open.

Last edited:

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I’m sure we will survive without McLeod, who was out performed by virtually everybody else on the roster during the playoffs.

The bonus is we got a top 20 prospect in the league. I bet the same posters who are whining about this trade would trade connor brown and Janmark for a 1st round draft pick in a heart beat. Now consider that brown and Janmark vastly outplayed McLeod.

Non issue and our team will be perfectly fine without McLeod. I’m still actually baffled that this trade happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad