Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Just saying you can't count chickens yet. What the Oilers lose this season is an actual NHL player that was very good on pk, low event player, responsible 200ft player and good at zone entries, zone exits and TKA. McLeod played a lot of parts here and was versatile as well. But he had an important speed ingredient to game that the team will miss.

I'm only looking at this in one year window because in my view that is our compete window. Savoie won't be in our NHL lineup.

Savoie has had recurring shoulder injuries and hasn't even played against men yet. Thats a potential worry to be having that problem so young, and in Junior hockey.
Yes yes you have mentioned his PK and zone entries. He won’t be missed. One of the biggest passengers of the playoffs.

What reoccurring shoulder injury? Please explain where you got this from… he got his shoulder injury playing against men.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Just saying you can't count chickens yet. What the Oilers lose this season is an actual NHL player that was very good on pk, low event player, responsible 200ft player and good at zone entries, zone exits and TKA. McLeod played a lot of parts here and was versatile as well. But he had an important speed ingredient to game that the team will miss.

I'm only looking at this in one year window because in my view that is our compete window. Savoie won't be in our NHL lineup.

Savoie has had recurring shoulder injuries and hasn't even played against men yet. Thats a potential worry to be having that problem so young, and in Junior hockey.
they were gonna lose an "actual NHL player" anyways due to cap constraints (still have to shed salary)

I seriously thought they'd get a 2nd back for someone like McLeod..to get a blue-chip prospect he pretty amazing

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
No doubt the Oilers won this trade.
Savoie is a sniper and I see him improving on that in the NHL. He is fast and knows when to pass as well as when to shoot. He would have been a top 3 pick in his draft year if he was 2 inches taller.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Yes yes you have mentioned his PK and zone entries. He won’t be missed. One of the biggest passengers of the playoffs.

What reoccurring shoulder injury? Please explain where you got this from… he got his shoulder injury playing against men.

Recurring shoulder injuries. One of them happened in prospects camp game.

The player has had 3mins in one game in the NHL and a few games even at AHL level.

Some reports Sabres may have moved on due to the injury history. Not sure if its bs but its out there.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What is? I don't see any actual article or breakdown. Just people responding to a post on X. With those respondents not seeing a source article either. Where is it?

IMG_5192.jpeg

It’s a 15 post thread on X.

I find Curlock to be a good read and have been following him for years. One of the very few “amateur” analysts that knows the game very well. He has to have been a coach at one time, his breakdowns have that read to them.

He is IMO by far the best content provider Oilers Nation has.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Recurring shoulder injuries. One of them happened in prospects camp game.

The player has had 3mins in one game in the NHL and a few games even at AHL level.

Some reports Sabres may have moved on due to the injury history. Not sure if its bs but its out there.

Lolz I remember Nuge had that too, and then never had since.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany

I really think you are looking at this the wrong way.

The Oilers needed to clear cap. As much as some might wish for Kane staying on LTIR for the entire season and return for the playoffs, that was highly unlikely to happen, which means someone else had to go, be it Ceci or someone like McLeod.

Then you have to consider that this situation came about because the Oilers managed to keep Henrique around and added two UFA-forwards in Arvidsson and Skinner. You can't just look at this as trading a player for a prospect. The player got traded because other players had been added and something had to give.

In no way, shape or form was a prospect picked 9th overall just two years ago a realistic return for McLeod, even if you add Tullio. If anything, under the circumstances Edmonton was in, a lower return than usual would have to be expected, as other teams should have realized that the Oilers are pressed against the cap right now.

Savoie could bust, any prospect can. But the return Edmonton got here far exceeds what seemed realistic. Savoie not only has a better shot at being an NHL-player than the realistic return would have been, he also has a much better shot at being an impact player.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
This is the key point.

I take a week off and comeback and the board is going nuts over some kid anointing it as a hot trade.

We traded an actual NHL player, a guy that is healthy that plays every game, can play up and down the lineup, that is a big part of a pk, that has pace, is very good at zone exits and entries and goal suppression for a kid that has played 3mins in the NHL and with shoulder injury histories already this early in his career and that kid hasn't played against men yet.

Going off Savoie's scouting reports and self reports also a theme where he needs to hold and carry the puck more, is the player already reticent doing this? Seems odd for a producer to be a bit shy on possessing puck. At least thats whats being stated.

In anycase Sabres who have handled more prospects than us have traded the player. Theres been some suggestion, not sure if its garbage, that Sabres moved from Savoie possibly due to injury history.

In anycase Savoie hasn't even played in AHL much to this point. He's an unknown even at AHL level. People here talking as if he's already a shoe in with the Oilers in the NHL.

Bird in hand used to be the rule.
Haha, McLeod is gone, jk.

Don’t know much about Savoie but I like this trade.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
As other posters have said, I think Hamblin takes the 4c spot (or splits with Ryan)

I thought he played great in that role this year and (imho) is a MUCH better fit at that particular role than McLeod could ever be.

Yeah, Hamblin isn’t the guy to go up and down the lineup, but a physical, trenches, “give a shit meter” to me is what a 4C is all about.

Love it if he grabs the spot.

This to me would be great without getting anything back, but to get this blue chip prospect? When we don’t even have to rush him in the lineup? AND still hasn’t started the 3 year ELC?

Great trade, we won’t miss Clouder at all, and have a great chance of a hit prospect.

AND clear cap space?

Wowza.
I doubt Hamblin splits anything other than an injury call-up

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yes in a vacuum. Considering Hall's 1OA status. But high pedigree RDs aren't easy to find either. And our team still needed that RD.
Larsson himself was a 2nd overall pick. He was 23 years old at the time, elite shut down defenseman, signed long-term at a very good contract. Basically, a younger Ekholm.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Larsson himself was a 2nd overall pick. He was 23 years old at the time, elite shut down defenseman, signed long-term at a very good contract. Basically, a younger Ekholm.

Disagree here. Ekholm is by far the better player of the two. About the same defensively but Ekholm's offensive capabilities (talent and vision) are far superior

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Disagree here. Ekholm is by far the better player of the two. About the same defensively but Ekholm's offensive capabilities (talent and vision) are far superior
Now he is. We are talking potential in 2016. Taylor Hall is now an oft injured second liner so it is inappropriate to compare today's Larsson (who's still a solid d-man) to Ekholm.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Pretty sure he was a 4th overall

Larsson gets walked as well and is getting more frequent with age, he had a poor season in Seattle this year by his standards

Reactions: Oilhawks

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Chances are....Savoie isn't playing this year unless there are injuries. He needs a year of development without getting hurt. I expect him to make the jump next year or possibly late in the season this year.

He is small but that being said, he is kinda like jack Hughes. His speed and skill are up there for sure.

If Kane is healthy...
I would run him with Kane and nuge or...
Drai and Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad