Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Seems like a win-win deal to me.

Oilers needed cap relief…check
Oilers need a top prospect…check
Sabres needed an NHL player…check

I think the Sabres are a good fit for McLeod, the Oilers not so much once Henrique signed. It’s nice that the Oilers finally sold high on a player.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I have only one concern. 5 foot 9. We saw with Yamamoto that small guys still get worn down. But this guy has better speed and moves than Yams. Unless he can not adapt to the NHL game... this is a good future trade for the oilers, Both player shipped out were not in our long term plans.

Now that Jackson has complete control I like what he is doing
I’m just going to pretend he’s the next Connor Garlund

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
None of us would be saying win-win if we were on the receiving end of this deal. Not even when we were a bottom of the league team like Buffalo.
Until Savoie actually plays meaningful minutes, the Sabres did fine. We’ve been burned plenty with prospects, I’m not taking anything for granted just yet.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
None of us would be saying win-win if we were on the receiving end of this deal. Not even when we were a bottom of the league team like Buffalo.
Well we barely said that for Hall for Larsson 1 for 1 and still don't. Even though that was the definition of win win deal.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
This is essentially a free shot at a top 10 pick. There is zero risk involved, we gave up a player who has been pushed out of the lineup with our FA signings.
Totally agree, I’m just saying the Sabres did fine with getting the only actual NHL’er in the deal. I like the trade just like everyone else, it makes a lot of sense from the Oilers side just from a cap perspective alone, the fact Savoie is a top prospect makes it even better.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Until Savoie actually plays meaningful minutes, the Sabres did fine. We’ve been burned plenty with prospects, I’m not taking anything for granted just yet.

The trade is not without risk, however, they needed to create cap, McLeod had more or less played himself off the team (if he put things together next season he would have priced himself off the team), and as a cap dump, they could have gotten picks.

The picks would have likely been a 2nd (at absolute best) IMO which is basically the Family Guy meme (“the pick could be anything, even a Matt Savoie!”).

Instead they got a top 10 pick trending up, closer to being NHL ready. Even if he doesn’t do amazing this year he can be traded at the TDL for a better rental than a 2nd gets.

Tullio, not to be forgotten, has some promise but each year he hasn’t established himself in the AHL makes him much less likely to be an NHL player. I like the prospect but I doubt he makes the show at this point

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

JRotten and Francis Bacon say the Oilers lost the trade and Savoie is on the way to busting

Some copium from that dude too. Ironically, I bet he’s wildly overestimating McLeod’s ability to be a consistent 3C
It's always funny with these morons. Any time the Oilers get somebody, the player immediately is labeled as a bust or disappointment. Cope harder f***ing losers lmao.

dem

Mar 17, 2002

JRotten and Francis Bacon say the Oilers lost the trade and Savoie is on the way to busting

Some copium from that dude too. Ironically, I bet he’s wildly overestimating McLeod’s ability to be a consistent 3C

It’s not cope. Savoie hasn’t done shit.
Draft+2 in the CHL means nothing.

I’d read more into not being invited to the WJ team and then having a terrible showing last year .

I’m fine with the trade.. but man some of y’all overrate prospects.

Just to make this clear… I’m not cheering against the kid. I’m not trying to be contrarian… but I definitely have a different view on prospects than a lot of people here.

That said I hope he blows the doors off wherever he plays .

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

I’d read more into not being invited to the WJ team and then having a terrible showing last year .

It’s 100% cope, mostly by Sabres fans and clueless bloggers that don’t know anything about McLeod the player to begin with. Savoie produced at a PPG with the Sabres AHL team during his conditioning stint, and apparently “always planned” to send him down to juniors after camp. He made the WJ team…no?

I’m one of the last people to get hyped about prospects, but to say anything aside from the player being a legitimate blue chipper is just being purposefully obtuse or negative for the sake of being negative. He was considered the top prospect of the Sabres by more than a few knowledgeable hockey analysts

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

I really wonder how that Bacon chart looks IF Buffalo just played him in the AHL for D+2. Maybe Buffalo's bad choice created that scenario. Like Bacon is assuming that just cause he played CHL in D+2 that he wasn't able to play in the AHL. Which doesn't make much sense.

That said, yeh prospects are prospects until proven otherwise.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Further to my post, Adams and JJ discussed this trade a week ago at the draft. JJ asked for Savoie and Adams did NOT want to trade him. JJ walked and waited until Adams agreed. If Savoie was a player they felt was busting they would have traded him right away.

Some people here just never want to see any positive possibility with this team. Must be f***ing tiresome

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

I'm perfectly fine with everybody's response to the trade.
We've been getting fleeced over the years with Chiarelli and Holland as the GM. It just feels nice to not be at the short end of the stick.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’s 100% cope, mostly by Sabres fans and clueless bloggers that don’t know anything about McLeod the player to begin with. Savoie produced at a PPG with the Sabres AHL team during his conditioning stint, and apparently “always planned” to send him down to juniors after camp. He made the WJ team…no?

I’m one of the last people to get hyped about prospects, but to say anything aside from the player being a legitimate blue chipper is just being purposefully obtuse or negative for the sake of being negative. He was considered the top prospect of the Sabres by more than a few knowledgeable hockey analysts
It’s Hall-Larsson.

Larsson and McLeod are good players but you don’t trade Hall or Savoie for them.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Naw man. We traded a guy we had to Trade and expected a 2nd-3rd round pick in return.

Instead we got a blue chip prospect…

Quite possibly a more recent version of the Erat for Forsberg trade!
Henrique made Mcleod expendable and it made sense to move him.

But I think that 2nd-3rd pick evaluation for McLeod is underselling McLeod. Like just imagine if Henrique had chose to sign in WPG. Would you take a 2nd for our 2M 3C at that point and open up a huge hole?

It’s Hall-Larsson.

Larsson and McLeod are good players but you don’t trade Hall or Savoie for them.
In a vacuum. But the Hall-Larsson trade did make sense, we were under pressure to show we could win in this market with Drai and McD extensions looming. We tried winning with Hall and couldn't. We figured out that we needed an upgraded defence to make the playoffs. We went and did that. Got the extensions done. Got good hockey out of Larsson for a couple years and IF he would have extended, we would have won that trade in a landslide.

In that sense, even though Buffalo is losing this trade on value, they are doing what they need to do under the pressure situation they are in.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Further to my post, Adams and JJ discussed this trade a week ago at the draft. JJ asked for Savoie and Adams did NOT want to trade him. JJ walked and waited until Adams agreed. If Savoie was a player they felt was busting they would have traded him right away.

Some people here just never want to see any positive possibility with this team. Must be f***ing tiresome
This is what good GMing looks like. JJ just squeezed Adams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad