Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Yeah I am actually a McLeod fan. He still has room to grow in his game, is big (even though butter soft), exceptionally fast, good at both ends of the rink, and has lots of experience. He was a known commodity within the team.

This trade, while likely required, means that we are thin at experienced forward if there are some injuries, and Savoie isn't going to help win a cup next year (as he likely just plays in the AHL all year). I don't think this is some "grand slam" trade like everybody is saying. We traded an actual NHL'er for a prospect - even if it was a good prospect.
Naw man. We traded a guy we had to Trade and expected a 2nd-3rd round pick in return.

Instead we got a blue chip prospect…

Quite possibly a more recent version of the Erat for Forsberg trade!

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
They definitely should’ve got more value for Hall at the time but sometimes you need to lose a trade to improve the team. I think this was that case. Besides Hall’s random Hart season, he hasn’t really been that good.

The only trade that has truly annoyed me since being an Oil fan in 06 is the Griffin Reinhart trade
And Spooner..

NapoLeonDrainamite

Jul 5, 2024
Had to join just to post holy **** *** ****. Just a lights out piece of work by JJ. Imagine if this kid turns into our Brayden Point- we're already embarrassed with riches up front, but it would be the foundation for something truly incredible that could last well into Leon and Connor's next contracts:

???-McDavid-Draisaitl
???-Savoie-Hyman
Holloway-RNH-O'Reilly

Those question marks could be literal skating punctuation and we'd still be a wagon.

He may not want the job, but Jeff Jackson somehow managed to go from a system lacking high-end young forward talent and no 1st round pick to two (!) highly regarded, cost-controlled forwards in just seven days. Can we tell him he's not GM but, like, not hire one and let him make all the calls?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He doesn't look tiny out there like a Yamamoto for instance. That said if he's had multiple shoulder injuries that's a bit scary. Hopefully they're all healed up now.
Multiple shoulder injuries now? Where did that come from? Good thing anything like that can be addressed this year.

It appears that JJ may look at Savoie as the one who will make up for the cap loss in year 2 and 3 of Campbells' buyout. If it does work out that way, then keeping the assets and buying out Campbell may work out after all.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Just a line combo that came to mind, assuming Savoie can play C with sheltered minutes.

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Drai - RV
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Kane - Savoie - Holloway

Maybe you swap Holloway and Savoie. I like Holloway with Kane, they seem to have chemistry on and off the ice, both bigger guys with skill. Those are pretty good linemate for a skilled rookie and we don’t have to change the other 3 lines.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
McLeod's value was like a 2nd or 3rd. I'll take the gamble on a 9th overall top prospect any day when we needed the cap space anyway.
That's probably the equivalent of a 2nd round pick, still a big gamble, but also with a chance to enter the league much sooner than a hypothetical 2nd rounder in the next year's draft.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Surprised the Sabres would make this deal considering the cap bid the Oilers were in.

I liked McLeod quite a bit. He was a good kid and I think has a long future in this league. Also a bit worried about team speed going into next season.

But a trade was needed. And maybe still needs to be made? Incredibly value back. Well done JJ!

I love getting a legit prospect. This team has been so light in that regard.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I highly doubt they'd send Perry down, he would be the most likely to get claimed. Option is Ryan at a little over $250K less so it screws over the savings to fit a 21 man roster.

Most likely it will be Ryan, J. Brown, and Stecher sent to Bako to fit a signed Holloway and Broberg. QO doesn't mean thats what they sign for as thats the minimum probably closer to 1 million (~$950K) a piece.
Can Holloway and Broberg not wait until after season starts to sign? That way Kane can go on LTIR.

The only move you would then have to make is send down Ryan, who will threaten retirement if claimed.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Disagree. He won’t play LW ahead of RNH or Skinner and Janmark will see more 3C / defensive roles. I anticipate Holloway will play both wing and C and play up and down the lineup as the situation and circumstances dictate.

A 4C spot is a place he can develop against mediocre competition and utilize his speed. He’s inexpensive. And much higher upside to his game which creates favourable competitive imbalances on the 4th line. That’s what the kind of depth we now have does.

We have a depth 4C in Ryan as well.

I just really don’t like putting young players in a situation where they may play as little as 5 minutes a night. Especially when we’ve seen what Holloway is capable of when given top 6 minutes. Either way we'll probably see every permutation and combination of these 12 guys between now and October so eventually someone will be right.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Had to join just to post holy **** *** ****. Just a lights out piece of work by JJ. Imagine if this kid turns into our Brayden Point- we're already embarrassed with riches up front, but it would be the foundation for something truly incredible that could last well into Leon and Connor's next contracts:

???-McDavid-Draisaitl
???-Savoie-Hyman
Holloway-RNH-O'Reilly

Those question marks could be literal skating punctuation and we'd still be a wagon.

He may not want the job, but Jeff Jackson somehow managed to go from a system lacking high-end young forward talent and no 1st round pick to two (!) highly regarded, cost-controlled forwards in just seven days. Can we tell him he's not GM but, like, not hire one and let him make all the calls?
Great user name

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I highly doubt they'd send Perry down, he would be the most likely to get claimed. Option is Ryan at a little over $250K less so it screws over the savings to fit a 21 man roster.

Most likely it will be Ryan, J. Brown, and Stecher sent to Bako to fit a signed Holloway and Broberg. QO doesn't mean thats what they sign for as thats the minimum probably closer to 1 million (~$950K) a piece.
I'm not saying that is whats going to happen. I'm just outlining how they can get under the cap right now without making a single move if Kane is healthy to start the year. The only way that is possible is by sending down Perry+J Brown and signing Broberg and Holloway at their QO number.

If Kane is healthy, and they do any other version of events, they would need to move out another roster player via trade to be cap compliant.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Surprised the Sabres would make this deal considering the cap bid the Oilers were in.

I liked McLeod quite a bit. He was a good kid and I think has a long future in this league. Also a bit worried about team speed going into next season.

But a trade was needed. And maybe still needs to be made? Incredibly value back. Well done JJ!

I love getting a legit prospect. This team has been so light in that regard.
I don’t think Sabres care about our minimal cap issue nor should they. They saw a player in Mcleod who will fill a hole for their roster, they made a trade to improve their team in the here and now.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Is this the Oilers in a different universe? The heck is happening here.
Good ufa day ... good trade ..... wtf is happening ....

They are going to mess up this GM signing right? Something has to give.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
CP is in absolute salty shambles over this trade lmao.

7 pages of denial and blind hope.

embarrassed-sad.gif

CP inbreds in a nutshell

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I have only one concern. 5 foot 9. We saw with Yamamoto that small guys still get worn down. But this guy has better speed and moves than Yams. Unless he can not adapt to the NHL game... this is a good future trade for the oilers, Both player shipped out were not in our long term plans.

Now that Jackson has complete control I like what he is doing

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just a line combo that came to mind, assuming Savoie can play C with sheltered minutes.

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Drai - RV
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Kane - Savoie - Holloway

Maybe you swap Holloway and Savoie. I like Holloway with Kane, they seem to have chemistry on and off the ice, both bigger guys with skill. Those are pretty good linemate for a skilled rookie and we don’t have to change the other 3 lines.
I prefer this personally:

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane-Nuge-Savoie
Janmark-Henrique-Brown

First line gives you a sniper and two 2-way beasts to cover the sniper's defensive deficiencies, and you have your forechecker/grit in Hyman.

Second line has two speedy gritty wingers with their dual threat beast centre and Arvidsson provides some 2-way conscience.

Third line has its crash and bang sniper to go with a 2-way playmaking centre, and a highly skilled dual threat rookie who can be sheltered.

Fourth line speaks for itself from last year's playoffs. That's your shut down matchup line.

Every line has grit/a forechecking presence and at minimum 1 defensively responsible player.

I have only one concern. 5 foot 9. We saw with Yamamoto that small guys still get worn down. But this guy has better speed and moves than Yams. Unless he can not adapt to the NHL game... this is a good future trade for the oilers, Both player shipped out were not in our long term plans.

Yamo had to try to carve out a role as an undersized grinder/forechecker because he didn't have the skating, playmaking, or goal scoring ability to cut it as a skilled small guy. Savoie has all of those attributes that Yamo didn't. There's no reason for him to play anything like how Yamo got worn down.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I prefer this personally:

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane-Nuge-Savoie
Janmark-Henrique-Brown

First line gives you a sniper and two 2-way beasts to cover the sniper's defensive deficiencies, and you have your forechecker/grit in Hyman.

Second line has two speedy gritty wingers with their dual threat beast centre and Arvidsson provides some 2-way conscience.

Third line has its crash and bang sniper to go with a 2-way playmaking centre, and a highly skilled dual threat rookie who can be sheltered.

Fourth line speaks for itself from last year's playoffs. That's your shut down matchup line.

Every line has grit/a forechecking presence and at minimum 1 defensively responsible player.

Yamo had to try to carve out a role as an undersized grinder/forechecker because he didn't have the skating, playmaking, or goal scoring ability to cut it as a skilled small guy. Savoie has all of those attributes that Yamo didn't. There's no reason for him to play anything like how Yamo got worn down.

I agree the only thing they have in common is their height. Savoie has more speed and better moves. IT will be interesting to see him adapt to the nhl

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton

Some sites say he's 5'10", as tall as Arvidsson, Ryan, Carrick and Stecher. Not really concerned.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Same concerns. Wonder how he is at avoiding contact and operating in tight spaces. That will be key if he wants to hit in a big way in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad