Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
nowhere near a bust, there are smaller players in the league with way less skill, he is fast great skaters wicked shot and a great passer if he was 6foot in draft year he would have been 1st or second overall pick
He doesn't look tiny out there like a Yamamoto for instance. That said if he's had multiple shoulder injuries that's a bit scary. Hopefully they're all healed up now.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
No he's not that. But does seem like a Top 6 or bust type player. Like Bourgault. Except Savoie is way more skilled and actually trending like he's supposed to.
What exactly is stopping him from contributing as a middle six option???

Like his ceiling is top 6, that’s where an offensive player like Savoie is expected to play. This team has always been flexible in terms of deployment. We have a lot of options to play guys up and down the line up.

Why are you proclaiming top 6 or bust? I don’t get it..

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What exactly is stopping him from contributing as a middle six option???

Like his ceiling is top 6, that’s where an offensive player like Savoie is expected to play. This team has always been flexible in terms of deployment. Why are you proclaiming top 6 or bust? I don’t get it..
I’m still learning about the prospect. But doesn’t sound like he has much of a defensive game. Plus the size issue. So sounds like he’ll either be Top 6 or bust. That said, his offensive skills sound like he’s gonna hit as a Top 6.

Pretty sexy draft year comps. Familiar faces too:

Attachments

• IMG_8433.jpeg
    IMG_8433.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Duke74

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
McLeod is tall and extremely fast, like one of the fastest players in the NHL fast. He can also PK very well and IMO has more offense than he's shown here. He's thrived at times on the wing with Draisaitl as well. Those are his positive attributes. Now the biggest glaring issue with him is that he is a perimeter player and is one of the softest players out there. It's like he has stretches where he realizes that he has to be grittier and does so for a few games, but overall it's not in his nature and always haunts him. Toffoli plays a gritty style but I haven't seen much of him. Could be a future bottom 6 guy for you guys.

Appreciated, hopefully both players do well for Buffalo and you guys get back to the playoffs. Thompson is one of my favorite non Oilers players to watch.

Extremely, not just saying this because he's on his way out. This has been my criticism of him for years.

There is a place for that type of player in the NHL. In Buffallo, Arizona, or the shitty Oilers circa 2006-2015.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He seems like a feisty enough player to play a Yamo-like role in the middle 6. He's already way more skilled than Yamo while also being bigger and a better skater.
Hm maybe. Doesn’t sound like he has much of a defensive game though. Unknown how his forechecking game is at this point, but he’ll need both and in most cases size too to be a bottom 6er IF his offence doesn’t translate. But signs are good his offence will translate from what I’m reading.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I’m still learning about the prospect. But doesn’t sound like he has much of a defensive game. Plus the size issue. So sounds like he’ll either be Top 6 or bust. That said, his offensive skills sound like he’s gonna hit as a Top 6.

Pretty sexy draft year comps. Familiar faces too:
This seems more like the cap and future asset management. Savoie may be ready in a couple of years. If he pans out, it would be helpful to have a potential top 6 forward at a league minimum for a year or two.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This seems more like the cap and future asset management. Savoie may be ready in a couple of years. If he pans out, it would be helpful to have a potential top 6 forward at a league minimum for a year or two.
For sure. Well we need the cap space now. And assets wise, we got 3C covered already and don’t need a 2M 4C. So it makes sense for us.

On top of that, it gives us future options to replace Skinner too who will likely price himself out of here after ripping it up with Drai

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He doesn't look tiny out there like a Yamamoto for instance. That said if he's had multiple shoulder injuries that's a bit scary. Hopefully they're all healed up now.
Coming back after a shoulder injury putting up 2 points per game and leading his team to a WHL championship for the 1st time ever and a Memorial Cup appearance is a pretty good indicator IMO that he will do just fine

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Love the trade

Although long list of top 10 picks who never pan out despite great junior careers

McLeod is a legit 3rd liner, that's nothing to sneeze at

midnightcopper

Apr 28, 2021
The couple of podcasts I listen to after most Oilers games have pretty regularly made the same comments and critique of Ryan McLeod, and that is that he does not go to the hard areas nearly enough, often bordering on frustration. With his speed and defensive abilities, he'd be a heck of a player if he chose to do so.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If Savoie is ready, but they want to insulate him, they could easily go.

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
Holloway - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Nuge - Henrique - Savoie
Janmark - not exactly sure - Brown

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
At the very least Savoie provides 2 ELC years on Bouchard and Draisaitl new contracts and 1 ELC year of mcdavids new contract

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
IMO, to be a legit 3rd liner, you have to be able to do it in the playoffs too and that just ain't McLeod.
One bad playoff run. Maybe it's a sign of what to come, or maybe a road bump

Savoie also is still in the WHL in draft +2 year. So juries still out if he's even a 3rd liner. Long list of similar prospects with similar hype that failed come pro, so we shouldnt count the eggs before they hatch

I'd stil make this trade easily, it's a great gamble. And our chance of getting a chrao top 6er in 2 years

But it's still a gamble. McLeod will play another 350 games in the nhl, MS likely will but who knows

Reactions: dem

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Love the trade

Although long list of top 10 picks who never pan out despite great junior careers

McLeod is a legit 3rd liner, that's nothing to sneeze at
the beauty of the trade is that even if Savoie busts, the Oilers still won by opening up 2.1 cap space and a contract spot (2 contracts out for 1). If McLeod kept trending the way he did, he likely wouldn't have been qualified anyways

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Wow these Savoie highlights are impressive. Very quick release, great vision and passing.

Looks like he could be our Stankoven

I’d like to see Savoie tear it up in Bakersfield for a little bit, maybe get Bourgault going. As someone else suggested, I think the hope should be that Savoie takes Skinners spot in a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad