Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think at the end of the day, regardless of how good McLeod and Tullio are, this trade comes down to Matthew Savoie. If he pans out its a big deal. So... how good, really, is Savoie? I dont know exactly. Camp could be eye opening.
How good? Best points per game season besides Bedard in the WHL in the past 23 years.

Their board is actually more mixed about the trade than I thought it would be. Only about half of them hate it. I think the other half are just impatient and want to see Adams make moves.

In fairness, it does seem like Buffalo keeps drafting the same type of forwards.
I too remember when a desperate Oilers fan base tried to convince themselves trades like Hall for Larsson, and many others were good trades when they got completely hosed. That's really all that is.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Very. The guys certainly doesn’t play with a lot of balls.
But the reality of the trade is this. Oilers traded an actual solid nhl,r who is young and decent at what he does for a bit of a lottery ticket who really hasn’t being going in the right direction.
I really like the trade. But it’s hardly a gimme.
Please explain the bolded. Savoie just put up a 2.09ppg season in the WHL in his draft+2.

Reactions: Oilhawks

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It’s funny because there’s quite a few around here who thought McLeod had no value and wanted to dump him. He’s possesses a lot of good traits that NHL teams value and he will be missed. But you can find those traits a lot easier then the type of skill and smarts that Savoie has in spades. His size and injuries are definitely a concern but I think it’s a good bet that he’s smart enough to overcome his size. Kid is probably going to be motivated because there’s a real opportunity for a player of his skill to join a strong team as a very cheap option, in his hometown no less. Hopefully he watches a guy like Arvidsson a lot.

This is such a proactive trade, moving out a player who hurts to lose but is replaceable and is going to get more expensive after next year and getting a guy that is a good bet to give you at least a couple cheap productive years over the next 2-4 years and probably retain decent value in that time.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Very. The guys certainly doesn’t play with a lot of balls.
But the reality of the trade is this. Oilers traded an actual solid nhl,r who is young and decent at what he does for a bit of a lottery ticket who really hasn’t being going in the right direction.
I really like the trade. But it’s hardly a gimme.
A lot of people would have taken McLeod for cap space, the lottery ticket is just a sweet bonus

Reactions: TB12 and elmeroil

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Holloway and Broberg still need contracts so it's more like ~2M over the cap still.

It's probably possible to just make it work by playing hardball with them and waiving everyone else but I'd expect another move honestly.
Broberg and Holloway's QO's are 874.125k (1.74825M). They are currently 354.167K over the cap with 21 roster players. If you sent down Josh Brown and Perry (2.15M) you would be cap compliant with 47.583K cap space on a 21 man roster.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
People keep citing injury history, but does Savoie have any actual injury history outside of his injury in rookie camp last year? Looks like he played two full seasons in the WHL before this without any injuries.
Not sure I understand this either. He played full seasons the two prior to last season. Furthermore, he came back and continued to rip it up, and even in the rehab stint with Rochester still managed 5 pts. in 6 GP (albeit with far better talents than what he'll see in BAK, depending). Shoulder injuries are tough to deal with but he came back and produced at the same astounding clip.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Just watched a whole lot of Savoie highlights. Damn he is skilled and has a nice shot. Can't wait to follow his progress.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
People keep citing injury history

Sounds like a coping mechanism.

uqur0pd1up5c1.jpeg

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
This isn't revisionism. I had the two weakest links on the Oilers being Foegele and McLeod. I wish them the best of luck but they were not good fits for the Edmonton Oilers.
At least this regime wastes no time to weed out passengers. In the past, the likes of Jaypoo were getting too much of a rope.

Just watched a whole lot of Savoie highlights. Damn he is skilled and has a nice shot. Can't wait to follow his progress.
Small, 1 game in the NHL, signed for three years. Sounds like a boom-and-bust project. But hey, they cleared the cap space.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
How good? Best points per game season besides Bedard in the WHL in the past 23 years.

I too remember when a desperate Oilers fan base tried to convince themselves trades like Hall for Larsson, and many others were good trades when they got completely hosed. That's really all that is.
Hall for Larsson was actually a decent trade in the context of 2016. I'd take Larsson over Hall even today.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hall for Larsson was actually a decent trade in the context of 2016. I'd take Larsson over Hall even today.
It turned out ok especially given Hall's injuries in recent years, but it was still an overpay for a position of need at the time. This trade is obviously a much better example of the type of trade that Oilers fans used to cope over.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Not for the return. Should've been at least a first rounder and maybe a prospect considering how highly touted Hall was at the time.

OT, but it's sad to see how far Hall has fallen due to injuries.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
At least this regime wastes no time to weed out passengers. In the past, the likes of Jaypoo were getting too much of a rope.

Small, 1 game in the NHL, signed for three years. Sounds like a boom-and-bust project. But hey, they cleared the cap space.
Khaira comes to mind as well. His career also died when we finally got rid of him.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
They definitely should’ve got more value for Hall at the time but sometimes you need to lose a trade to improve the team. I think this was that case. Besides Hall’s random Hart season, he hasn’t really been that good.

The only trade that has truly annoyed me since being an Oil fan in 06 is the Griffin Reinhart trade

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

At this point there isn't much to suggest that there is much "bust" likelihood with Savoie. He just put up one of the best WHL seasons of the past 20+ years. The only reason people are even mentioning him as a bust is because of his size, and I think thats really behind-the-times thinking. Small skilled players are littered throughout the league as impact or quality complementary players. We just signed one in Arvidsson. With the right balance in your line up like the Oilers have these types of players don't carry that much risk.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Broberg and Holloway's QO's are 874.125k (1.74825M). They are currently 354.167K over the cap with 21 roster players. If you sent down Josh Brown and Perry (2.15M) you would be cap compliant with 47.583K cap space on a 21 man roster.
I highly doubt they'd send Perry down, he would be the most likely to get claimed. Option is Ryan at a little over $250K less so it screws over the savings to fit a 21 man roster.

Most likely it will be Ryan, J. Brown, and Stecher sent to Bako to fit a signed Holloway and Broberg. QO doesn't mean thats what they sign for as thats the minimum probably closer to 1 million (~$950K) a piece.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
unless the injury talk is correct.. we won this trade. One observation from another site is that some compared him to Gilbert Brule.

At the end of the day we traded a player with no future on the team for a guy who MIGHT be something in a few years.

Only time will tell

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
This isn't revisionism. I had the two weakest links on the Oilers being Foegele and McLeod. I wish them the best of luck but they were not good fits for the Edmonton Oilers.

Ya, they weren’t healthy scratched in the playoffs for no reason

Yeah plan should be full year in the AHL with the potential for a call up later in the year if he's dominating the AHL. 5 points in 6 games at the start of last year in the AHL is a good sign.

Could be a "TDL" addition like Holloway was this year, and if not he seems like a logical Skinner replacement next year as you said.

That’s exactly the goal I’d imagine. He might get some games earlier if there are injuries

Ya I remember going through it with the Reinhart trade. You justify it to yourself because you want to believe things are turning around.

Khaira comes to mind as well. His career also died when we finally got rid of him.

Not really. He’s played NHL games every year since. He just had major concussion issues

Reactions: Messrules11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad