Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
So we traded from a position of strength to shore up an area of weakness (ELC winger with top 6 potential). It’s been so long since it felt like we made a trade from a position of strength.

Also, I can’t think of a better time to be a right handed point producing Oilers prospect. Savoie couldn’t have picked a better team to be traded to imo as that RW spot is wide open, especially going into next year.

Holloway Mcdavid Hyman
Ardvidsson Drai Skinner
Nuge Henrique Lavoie/Savoie
_____ Janmark Brown
Ryan/Perry

I can’t wait to see what this forward group can do.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
No salt here. We all good. As I said in the Sabres board, this move hurts my heart, but I understand it. Probably easier that it's edmonton getting savoie for me. Despite being a Sabres fan, I live in YK. Your city's hospitality during the evacuation last summer made me root for edmonton as well.

Thank you. I liked McLeod and will miss him, I even have a signed puck (if you want it, I can mail it to you..jk). Thanks for rooting for Edmonton. I have an old friend from Buffalo who is a big Sabres fan, and he's a genuinely good dude about hockey in general. I've always had a soft spot for the Sabres and would really like them to break this streak and make the playoffs this season.

While it hurts, I do think that McLeod will help balance the roster to help the Sabres make the playoffs. And if he gets a wakeup call to play with some more grit and less perimeter, he will be a very good player. We saw it in spurts but just not consistently enough and it cost them in the playoffs. Either way, he will help the Sabres get there.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
some people saying savoie has shoulder issues and is a tiny midget who gets crunched to death... mcleod does make them a better team this year and fwiw i think Tullio is a bonafide prospect for a checking line some day. I like his game.
Who are these people? “Some people” also say Bouchard is a bad hockey player.

His shoulder injury looked like a freak accident.

Reactions: oilers'72

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I think at the end of the day, regardless of how good McLeod and Tullio are, this trade comes down to Matthew Savoie. If he pans out its a big deal. So... how good, really, is Savoie? I dont know exactly. Camp could be eye opening.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Some teams start spiralling a bit when rebuilds don't go as planned and then it just snowballs. After 3/4/5 years fans get antsy, ownership gets antsy, everyone is sick of losing and then attempts to fix everything start happening, but it just ends up worsening the problem. Honestly, if we didn't land McDavid we might still be in that cycle with them.

This smells a lot like a "we need depth now, not another scoring prospect!" type deal, which isn't necessarily a bad idea. They just didn't trade the correct prospect for the correct player.
That's true. McDavid is probably THE reason we turned the corner after years of terrible management, that we also kept doing for more years with McDavid lol.

Buffalo also got insane bad luck getting #1 OA twice in years where a LHD was the top prospect. Their tanks were a little more shameless than ours though, especially in McDavid's year where they were firing off goalies into the sun who dared to make saves. Maybe little karma there :)

Hope we pulled off a little robbery here with them desperately trying to create a playoff capable team ASAP.

Reactions: K1984 and Oilhawks

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
So you can debate whether or not Holland would’ve signed certain players on July 1, but it is a certainty that he would not have made this trade.
Yes A certainty.
This board is funny.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Isn't Savoie a highly touted prospect?? How the hell did he manage this one? Well damn man. The kid is from here too I think.
Yes he's just about developed and ready to go...He was maybe my favorite prospect as a Sabres fan...He had a great training camp/pre season last year till he got hurt...I was thinking he make the team this year out of camp and do well....I still don't understand this from our side...Our GM is completely desperate at this point.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
McLeod plays soft ??
Very. The guys certainly doesn’t play with a lot of balls.
But the reality of the trade is this. Oilers traded an actual solid nhl,r who is young and decent at what he does for a bit of a lottery ticket who really hasn’t being going in the right direction.
I really like the trade. But it’s hardly a gimme.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But the reality of the trade is this. Oilers traded an actual solid nhl,r who is young and decent at what he does for a bit of a lottery ticket.
It’s as much of a gimme as you can get.

JJ somehow turned a cap crunch casualty into a top prospect and cap space. Even if the Oilers have no plans for Savoie they can use him as trade bait at the deadline.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Savoie has a good shot to make the team, too. As deep as we are, there’s a spot on 3RW for him if we push Brown to 4th line. I’d try

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
Holloway - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
RNH/Rico - Rico/RNH - Savoie
Janmark - Ryan - Brown

I don’t know how you fit Kane

Reactions: Oilhawks

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
But the reality of the trade is this. Oilers traded an actual solid nhl,r who is young and decent at what he does for a bit of a lottery ticket who really hasn’t being going in the right direction.

We were literally being forced to trade one of McLeod, Ceci or maybe Kane to become cap compliant and we squeezed a team's top 3? prospect out for him.

This fanbase would have been happy with a 3rd coming back.

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad