ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
No clue. On paper you would expect Toronto, but neither of these teams were favored to make it past the 1st round so who knows.

Gotta say, it is nice to see this pairing in the Atlantic: There have been 4 perennial playoff teams in that division for years, but never seen Florida vs Toronto before.
It sure beats T.B and ______ again.

These.are two teams with confidence who like to score goals. No team in the playoffs is ever a cakewalk. When I warned people that the Bruins regular season meant nothing as.the playoffs are.different and the President Trophy wnners are cursed a.few liked my comment but a few laughed.

They aren't laughing now.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
It sure beats T.B and ______ again.

These.are two teams with confidence who like to score goals. No team in the playoffs is ever a cakewalk. When I warned people that the Bruins regular season meant nothing as.the playoffs are.different and the President Trophy wnners are cursed a.few liked my comment but a few laughed.

They aren't laughing now.

But we are.:D

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Key to this series for Toronto will be can they take advantage of a Panthers PK that you have to think is somewhat worn down after a 7 game series against Boston that went to OT in game 7.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This is gonna be another physical, heavy hitting series. Think the Leafs have the advantage defensively and in net but Florida has a potent offence, especially now that they've gotten healthy.

If Bob falters and the Leafs can contain the panthers it could be a quick series, but I doubt it. This feels like another 6-7 game series.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
This is gonna be another physical, heavy hitting series. Think the Leafs have the advantage defensively and in net but Florida has a potent offence, especially now that they've gotten healthy.

If Bob falters and the Leafs can contain the panthers it could be a quick series, but I doubt it. This feels like another 6-7 game series.
I think they scored 17 more.goals.(my memory here) than the Leafs over 82 games and Leafs made many changes at the deadline.

Florida is a very good team but I knew Boston would be banged up and spent after chasing the regular season record, probably playing injured throughout the year. If I was a gambler, I would have placed some money on FLA to pull an upset (for the right odds).

If Boston played FLA a seven game series at say, the 20 game.mark.of the regular season, Boston probably wins probably. Bergeron was plaing with a herniated disk! That is insanity.

The NHL playoffs are the toughest battle of any team sports, it's why I believe in rest for key players down the stretch. B

Boston wanted the regular season glory over the risk of a ring I suppose. There are no guarsntees in the NHL. When the reffing is straight, the playoffs are the most beautiful and intense sport on earth.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
lol at the idea that the Panthers PK was worn down. It's not like they were really putting up much of a fight out there .

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Here's each team's regular season stats. Which I know people will disregard due to the different nature of playoffs, but it's an 82 sample size.

Maple leafs
9th in G/GP
7th in GA/GP
2nd in PP%
12th in PK%

Florida Panthers
6th in G/GP
21st in GA/GP
10th in PP%
23rd in PK%

Toronto is 3-1 against us in the regular season. 3 of those games including the Florida win went into OT.

So on paper, Maple leafs beat Panthers in every statistical category besides offense. Then again, Boston beat us in every single statistical category by even larger margins...

Still, I actually think Toronto might be a worse match up for us. I mean, we won more against Boston in the regular season than the Maple leafs.

I think their powerplay will decimate us unless changes come to our PK or our goaltending becomes a brick wall. For how much the Panthers suck at the PK, they sure do love to be on it since they were the most penalized team in the regular season..

I think this will be a fun series full of offense even if it's a rather short one.

Leafs in 6.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Thats a big difference between the Leafs PP and Florida's PK. Leafs PP was doing a bit better in the first round than the regular season at 28.6%. And Florida's pk numbers were not great against Boston.

J1mLahey

Jan 13, 2011
Toronto
As a Toronto supporter, it’s difficult reading some of the ridiculous hot takes in these threads from my fellow fans. It’s one thing to be passionate and confident, and another to just be downright cocky,

To the series, I’m excited for this one. You can totally make the argument that right now Tkachuk is the best player in the series. He will surely make his mark, and it will be up to Toronto to not get involved in the antics and being the one pulled out the pile for a minor.

Barkov vs Matthews is also intriguing, 34 came alive when needed most Vs TB, and you’ll have to imagine Barkov will be better than he was against Boston.

Which Bob shows up? Can Samsonov repeat his G6 performance?

Going to avoid making a prediction, but can see this going either way and to 7 games.

Good luck Cats fans, now we’re cordial, by Saturday we’ll hate each other haha

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If you were to rank the top 10 forwards in this series, and top 5 defensemen, how would you do it?

Forwards:
1. Tkachuk - FLA
2. Matthews - TOR
3. Marner - TOR
4. Barkov - FLA
5. Nylander - TOR
6. Tavares - TOR
7. Verhaeghe - FLA
8. Reinhart - FLA
9. O'Reilly - TOR
10. Bennett - FLA

5 Leafs, 5 Panthers.

Defensemen:
1. Montour - FLA
2. Ekblad - FLA
3. Rielly - TOR
4. Forsling - FLA
5. Brodie - TOR
6. McCabe - TOR

3 Leafs, 3 Panthers.

You could arguably say that the Panthers have the best forward and the best defenseman. This will be a close series.

TopG

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
If you were to rank the top 10 forwards in this series, and top 5 defensemen, how would you do it?

Forwards:
1. Tkachuk - FLA
2. Matthews - TOR
3. Marner - TOR
4. Barkov - FLA
5. Nylander - TOR
6. Tavares - TOR
7. Verhaeghe - FLA
8. Reinhart - FLA
9. O'Reilly - TOR
10. Bennett - FLA

5 Leafs, 5 Panthers.

Defensemen:
1. Montour - FLA
2. Ekblad - FLA
3. Rielly - TOR
4. Forsling - FLA
5. Brodie - TOR
6. McCabe - TOR

3 Leafs, 3 Panthers.

You could arguably say that the Panthers have the best forward and the best defenseman. This will be a close series.
You lost me with Tkachuk #1 lol

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Any PK unit would be exhausted after a series with Boston. Guaranteed 10 PKs a night lol

Agreed and Toronto needs to take advantage of that, and they need to jump on a potentially worn down Florida team tomorrow.

I think It's possible after a 7 game OT series against Boston Florida comes out sluggish tomorrow and if they do Toronto needs to take advantage

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You lost me with Tkachuk #1 lol

I mean, he's the only player on either team to score 100+ points in each of the last two seasons.

Last 2 years:

Tkachuk: 213 pts in 161 games (1.32 pts/game)
Marner: 196 pts in 152 games (1.29 pts/game)
Matthews: 191 pts in 147 games (1.30 pts/game)

Considering the unique physical and agitation aspects he also brings, not sure why that's an lol.

Reactions: mattw4466

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Forwards:
1. Tkachuk - FLA
2. Matthews - TOR
3. Marner - TOR
4. Barkov - FLA
5. Nylander - TOR
6. Tavares - TOR
7. Verhaeghe - FLA
8. Reinhart - FLA
9. O'Reilly - TOR
10. Bennett - FLA

5 Leafs, 5 Panthers.

Defensemen:
1. Montour - FLA
2. Ekblad - FLA
3. Rielly - TOR
4. Forsling - FLA
5. Brodie - TOR
6. McCabe - TOR

3 Leafs, 3 Panthers.

No you can't argue Florida has the best forward.

It should be a close series but Matthews is the best forward in the series.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
No you can't argue Florida has the best forward.

It should be a close series but Matthews is the best forward in the series.

Really? Tkachuk has averaged 1.32 pts/game over the last 2 seasons. Matthews has averaged 1.30 pts/game. Matthews is a better goal scorer. Tkachuk is a better playmaker and brings a better physical/agitation game.

It's certainly an argument.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I mean, he's the only player on either team to score 100+ points in each of the last two seasons.

Last 2 years:

Tkachuk: 213 pts in 161 games (1.32 pts/game)
Marner: 196 pts in 152 games (1.29 pts/game)
Matthews: 191 pts in 147 games (1.30 pts/game)

Considering the unique physical and agitation aspects he also brings, not sure why that's an lol.

so similar ppg, but one had an injury all this season and put up 60 goals the year before... makes sense, Tkachuk is the best.

Also, Matthews is better defensively.

Talk about Tkachuk vs Marner, that is a debatable topic, not sure how this is.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
so similar ppg, but one had an injury all this season and put up 60 goals the year before... makes sense, Tkachuk is the best.

Matthews was better last year.
Tkachuk was better this year.

It's no slam dunk that Matthews is a better overall player, right now. Anyone who thinks that is kidding themselves.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Really? Tkachuk has averaged 1.32 pts/game over the last 2 seasons. Matthews has averaged 1.30 pts/game. Matthews is a better goal scorer. Tkachuk is a better playmaker and brings a better physical/agitation game.

It's certainly an argument.

No It's not.

Only one of them has won the Rocket, Hart, Rookie of the year, Ted Lindsay.

No It's not

Just because Tkachuk scored a few more points doesn't make him a better forward.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Forwards:
1. Tkachuk - FLA
2. Matthews - TOR
3. Marner - TOR
4. Barkov - FLA
5. Nylander - TOR
6. Tavares - TOR
7. Verhaeghe - FLA
8. Reinhart - FLA
9. O'Reilly - TOR
10. Bennett - FLA

5 Leafs, 5 Panthers.

Defensemen:
1. Montour - FLA
2. Ekblad - FLA
3. Rielly - TOR
4. Forsling - FLA
5. Brodie - TOR
6. McCabe - TOR

3 Leafs, 3 Panthers.

I don't agree with your forward rankings but I can atleast see where you are coming from. Your defense though? Good lord you completely lost the plot.

Reactions: BayStBullies

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
No It's not.

Only one of them has won the Rocket, Hart, Rookie of the year, Ted Lindsay.

No It's not

Just because Tkachuk scored a few more points doesn't make him a better forward.

Rookie of the year? Lol cool?

Matthews had an outstanding year last year. This year, Tkachuk has been better. In terms of who's a better player right now, it's an argument. I'd take Tkachuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad