ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
If you were to rank the top 10 forwards in this series, and top 5 defensemen, how would you do it?

Forwards:
1. Tkachuk - FLA
2. Matthews - TOR
3. Marner - TOR
4. Barkov - FLA
5. Nylander - TOR
6. Tavares - TOR
7. Verhaeghe - FLA
8. Reinhart - FLA
9. O'Reilly - TOR
10. Bennett - FLA

5 Leafs, 5 Panthers.

Defensemen:
1. Montour - FLA
2. Ekblad - FLA
3. Rielly - TOR
4. Forsling - FLA
5. Brodie - TOR
6. McCabe - TOR

3 Leafs, 3 Panthers.

You could arguably say that the Panthers have the best forward and the best defenseman. This will be a close series.
I think it’s a fair list, especially if based on regular season, but I have one dispute with it

IMHO Rielly has been better than ekbald this playoffs though. Ekblad has no points at all.

Rielly was also a HUGE reason we even won that series. GWG in game 3, GTG in game 4, and had the assist on the series clincher. So I’d have him above ekblad. montour has also been super clutch, so I’d don’t mind having him 1, i think based on the playoffs you can argue either way.

Reactions: seventieslord

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't agree with your forward rankings but I can atleast see where you are coming from. Your defense though? Good lord you completely lost the plot.

Montour is the best of the bunch, right now. Ekblad to Brodie is pretty interchangeable. McCabe is the 6th. Rielly is 2nd for sure if you just look at the last round. But he had a poor year overall before the Tampa series.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Montour is the best of the bunch, right now. Ekblad to Brodie is pretty interchangeable. McCabe is the 6th.
Eh I don't think Montour over Rielly right now is a given. Montour is a high event player, both extremely good...and bad. I think generally the Leafs defense is better at defending and the Panthers defensemen will probably provide more offense but are worse in their own zone defending by a pretty significant margin.

Reactions: BayStBullies

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Barkov line will likely go up against Matthews and Marner. Tavares line against Tkachuks line.

This will be a dog fight for the puck. This series will come down to which team wants it more.

Reactions: Panteras

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Barkov line will likely go up against Matthews and Marner. Tavares line against Tkachuks line.

This will be a dog fight for the puck. This series will come down to which team wants it more.
Matchups will depend on what coach wants do at home. Some don’t care, others do.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Eh I don't think Montour over Rielly right now is a given. Montour is a high event player, both extremely good...and bad. I think generally the Leafs defense is better at defending and the Panthers defensemen will probably provide more offense but are worse in their own zone defending by a pretty significant margin.

I think that sums up Rielly, as well. Montour just had a much better season. He did what Rielly did in 18/19.

In terms of overall team defense, Leafs have certainly been a lot better all year.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

The Leafs shut down the 2 best playoff performers in the NHL 5v5. It'll be interesting to see how they handle Tkachuk

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think that sums up Rielly, as well. Montour just had a much better season. He did what Rielly did in 18/19.

In terms of overall team defense, Leafs have certainly been a lot better all year.
I would agree Montour had a better season then Rielly. I think Rielly was better then Montour overall in round 1 then Montour was though. I just don't think it is cut and dry that he is the best defensemen in the series with the way Rielly stepped up against Tampa.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Matthews and Marner might not even play together. Werent together today at practice.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

I suppose I don't see the logic in listing the top defencemen as equal in numbers if you are aware that team defence is skewed in one direction. A list of the top players becomes irrelevant if a group performs better than their individual parts. (this goes both ways)

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Panthers will pull off the upset. Tkachuk is going to be the difference maker, he's the best player in this series.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The Panthers just took out the Bruins so they're clearly not to be overlooked. However, in saying that I'm still not sure what Florida has that Tampa didn't. I've got the Leafs in 6.

Tampa looked polarizing, out of gas, or unenthused, or maybe just beat up and injured. Florida is an upcoming young team with motivation, desire and determination, along with talent and players carving out the "clutch" moniker for themselves.

The old saying "you have to beat the best to be the best" is a fact. Panthers just beat the best (an amazingly clinical 135 point team!), so therefore the CATS are now the best until proven otherwise. Hence why I made the comment about them being this years Cinderella team.

The better question should be what does Toronto have that Bruins didn't.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Tampa looked polarizing, out of gas, or unenthused, or maybe just beat up and injured. Florida is an upcoming young team with motivation, desire and determination, along with talent and players carving out the "clutch" moniker for themselves.

The old saying "you have to beat the best to be the best" is a fact. Panthers just beat the best (by a HUGE margin), so therefore the CATS are now the best until proven otherwise. Hence why I made the comment about them being this years Cinderella team.

The better question should be what does Toronto have that Bruins didn't.
By a huge margin? You alright?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The old saying "you have to beat the best to be the best" is a fact. Panthers just beat the best (an amazingly clinical 135 point team!), so therefore the CATS are now the best until proven otherwise. Hence why I made the comment about them being this years Cinderella team.

Best is a matter of perspective. Florida eliminated the best regular season team this year, Toronto eliminated the best playoff team the past 3. Up to each individual to decide what they feel is more meaningful

Reactions: Peasy

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Leafs in 6. The Panthers - as a team - will make it a series, but the Leafs’ stars will be the difference.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Rookie of the year? Lol cool?

Matthews had an outstanding year last year. This year, Tkachuk has been better. In terms of who's a better player right now, it's an argument. I'd take Tkachuk.

Just checked and I did not realize what a great year Tkachuk had. Wow.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Montour is the best of the bunch, right now. Ekblad to Brodie is pretty interchangeable. McCabe is the 6th. Rielly is 2nd for sure if you just look at the last round. But he had a poor year overall before the Tampa series.
Rielly on his poor year is 5x the defensemen Montour is

Spoiler for the Florida fans: Tkachuk isn't going to keep shooting at 23%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad