ECSF - Game 1 - Toronto Maple Leafs vs Florida Panthers - 7pm EST, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
Florida felt the same way about Tampa: I don't have a strong belief on who would be more difficult for us, but I wanted to exorcise those demons against them.

Acciari
E. Staal
I'm afraid the window has closed for both Toronto and Florida to exorcise their demons. Both Tampa and Boston will be crap for a while starting next season and beating them won't mean much.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I do not find the "Haven't made it past the 2nd round since 2002!" narrative as exciting. Hopefully they will be able to find some other motivation.
I remember before that playoff began I told a coworker with complete conviction that the Leafs were going to win the Cup. Not as a fan but with firm, logical belief. I had won the season work hockey pool and came second in a large player pool we were part of at a downtown bar so he believed me.

The emotions were high for NY teams to win for the city. That series.was the most vicious and intense series I have witnessed, both teams REALLY wanted it.

i still say that after that series that went seven games the Leafs were spent. It took another seven grueling games to get through Ottawa. They won game 1 against Carolina before the ran out of gas.

Man that team had heart. I always advise people thst if the want to see HEAVY hockey with hits that would have players suspended today, go and watch that series. I am not kidding, it seemed like bedlam every shift.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Panthers will be happy to settle this one on the ice, if you beat us 4 times you will have earned it.
Everyone has magnanimity until the ref blows the first penalty.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
You guys are upset Toronto is the favorite in the series? Your own players are even saying as much

There's a difference between being an underdog and it being a "warmup" series for the Leafs. I think a lot of people are in for a rude awakening this series, mostly people that didn't watch Boston-Florida.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Panthers fans, sorry for the inevitable influx of Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa fans, among others.

They're just passing time until the draft lottery.

There's a difference between being an underdog and it being a "warmup" series for the Leafs. I think a lot of people are in for a rude awakening this series, mostly people that didn't watch Boston-Florida.
Not a single Leaf fan I've seen is saying this.

If you think that, you have no idea about the history of this franchise.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
When the Leafs lost to Boston, we lost everything. Until this team was built as it is today and we beat Tampa...a gift from the hockey gods...in that moment we received some semblance of hope...an opportunity of payback and vengeance against the Bruins...and the Panthers took it from us.
STOLE THAT FROM US....KILLED THAT FROM US.
People are asking whether the Leafs are back. But now we are thinking...yeah we're back. So you can either walk away as fans or you can feel the full wrath of Leaf Nation after the Buds kill the Panther playoff dreams.
...your truly
John Wick

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Just for a little history lesson for Cats fans that don't follow our team. Between 1993 and 2002, when this team was "good", they made it to four conference finals in nine years. Three of them we had home ice advantage (vs. LAK, VAN and BUF). In the fourth, Carolina had home ice, even through the Leafs had more points (the Canes won their division).

The Leafs lost all four series.

Any rational Leaf fans knows not to take anyone lightly.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'm afraid the window has closed for both Toronto and Florida to exorcise their demons. Both Tampa and Boston will be crap for a while starting next season and beating them won't mean much.
Tampa still has a great core ...Kutch just put up 113 points, Hedman (when healthy is a norris caliber d-man, and still better than any leafs d-man hurt) Vasy is still arguably the best goalie. Point just had a phenomenal season, Stamkos is still Stamkos...
TB will be right in the mix next season, and the only way the Leafs miss them again, is by winning the division.
They will be 2nd/3rd again.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Panthers defense and goaltending will be the wildcard of the series. They allowed 53 more goals against than Toronto this season.

Reactions: D1az

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Good luck to your team Panther fans. Gonna be a fun series I think. I get that it doesn’t have rivalry buzz of a Boston v Toronto or a Florida vs Tampa series, but it’s something new at least. First time facing each other in the playoffs is crazy. I think the style of each team is going to make for some awesome hockey. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad