Post-Game Talk: ECSF (Florida leads 2-0): Playoff Bob Arrives, LFG!

Now do you believe??

• Yes

Votes: 39 73.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
If the focus is Tkachuk for them, then Bennett and Verhaegee are going to be roaming free, we have many ways to score,
It obvious to me that Toronto problem is our forechecking and puck retrieval, many scoring sequences started from there during the Boston series.

If Panthers cutdown the penalties by half,we will beat them again, when we are on 5 vs 5, I like our chances alot.

So right about the penalties…

But Leafs wanting to exploit our 40% expected goals bum defensive pair (Staal-Montour)… AND throwing us their mighty McCabe with his 43% expected goals to shadow Tkachuk ! LOL

I don’t know a lot about advanced stats…

But this is just pure non-sense ! :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Two4Fighting

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Here's a link from Apple (), go to the May 3 recording, first part of that is mostly about Kraken and Gourde, Panthers analysis is closer to the last 10-15 minutes. You can also listen on Google Podcast.

They also did a good one with Jack Han on Game 1 and what can be done in Game 2, put up today.

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
Ugh! We couldn't sit the Shitter Stalls! They're old and they need their rest. Come on PoMO, care about your jerk it buddies.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Don’t know how many articles I’ve seen the last few days telling me how the Leafs are much better than the Panthers, how they should have one game #1, that they gift-wrapped it to the Cats and how they’re gonna come back next game with a vengeance…

The last two on the Athletic for example, one suggests Matthews and co. can/should exploit our biggest weakness (spoiler alert: the columnist has OUR WHOLE DEFENSIVE-UNIT as our main weakness), I believe Boston believed that too…

And the other article, I will only give you the title: "The Tkachuk-stopper ? Jake McCabe’s role for Maple Leafs looms large vs Panthers", and they go on and on about how he was a great add for the Laughs, and is a great shutdown defenseman, all of this while also stating that his expected goals at 5v5 was under 43% during Bolts series…

Oh… Did I say that they also stated about our d-corp, how bad the Montour-Staal pairing was sitting at ONLY 40% of expected goals during the series against the Bruins…

Am I missing something here ? :D
star wars hate GIF

Reactions: 5 Hole

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I disagree on his last point where all Toronto players collapse on their own net, he sees that as disadvantageous, the Canes do that all the time and very effectively.

he was pointing out the downside of that - if your opponent is able to get pucks "into the mixer" (as i heard someone put it the other day - get pucks into the blue paint/in front of the net), you're vulnerable to deflections and odd bounces. the film clip shows what can happen.

part of the formula is being able to block shots high and prevent that low/high game which can open up shooting lanes. maybe that's something the canes are more successful at doing? i don't watch their games.

i'd look at that as a potential advantage for us in a match-up with the canes. a lot of teams, including the panthers of last year, try to pass the puck into the net and won't take those low percentage shots we're seeing this year. han talks about how matthews would curl back and look for another play rather than backhanding a puck to the slot as barkov did. if you can successfully get pucks into the slot, percentages are in your favor for scoring some goals and we're witnessing that.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
So right about the penalties…

But Leafs wanting to exploit our 40% expected goals bum defensive pair (Staal-Montour)… AND throwing us their mighty McCabe with his 43% expected goals to shadow Tkachuk ! LOL

I don’t know a lot about advanced stats…

But this is just pure non-sense ! :laugh:
I don't do Stats either, I do Eye Tests, works all the time.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but he's looking at the natural statrick heat map wrong...swapped sides. Anyways, film interesting analysis. Another really good listen is the PDOcast, they did an analysis on the Kraken and Panthers forecheck in round 1.

Lines up with what we've been seeing, really aggressive forecheck which forces the other team to make errors, but also increases risk for odd man rushes the other way when things go wrong. Also just how critical Bennett is to the way Panthers play, he's the driving force for our team. If Barkov can go in on the forecheck as hard as Bennett does, then we can really have something going.

Crazy stat time. In the regular season, Bruins had only 14% failed exit attempts. In round 1 against the Panthers? 26%. I continue to find it funny when people keep talking about how Bruins kept on making uncharacteristic errors turning over the puck, without acknowledging the Panthers creating those errors.

Hopefully we can keep up the pressure on the Leafs. Samsonov looked beatable. Gio looked slow. Tavares, our forever nemesis, got eaten up by the Tkachuk line and had to be moved down. But...the Leaf skilled guys looked really dangerous and we had to get bailed by Bob several times.

Whatever happens, just happy to still be cheering these guys into May.

good listen. thanks for the rec.

the colors were confusing at first to me but after looking at the map multiple times, i think it was correct. it's just odd that a heat map would be blue.

Reactions: pantherbot

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
he was pointing out the downside of that - if your opponent is able to get pucks "into the mixer" (as i heard someone put it the other day - get pucks into the blue paint/in front of the net), you're vulnerable to deflections and odd bounces. the film clip shows what can happen.

part of the formula is being able to block shots high and prevent that low/high game which can open up shooting lanes. maybe that's something the canes are more successful at doing? i don't watch their games.

i'd look at that as a potential advantage for us in a match-up with the canes. a lot of teams, including the panthers of last year, try to pass the puck into the net and won't take those low percentage shots we're seeing this year. han talks about how matthews would curl back and look for another play rather than backhanding a puck to the slot as barkov did. if you can successfully get pucks into the slot, percentages are in your favor for scoring some goals and we're witnessing that.
What I see is how the Panthers make them collapse and then send the puck high and bang it from there or the wing, at that moment, they are waiting for the obvious shot from the top or wing, so they are unable to move, strategistically, is a great setup to score.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Here's a link from Apple (), go to the May 3 recording, first part of that is mostly about Kraken and Gourde, Panthers analysis is closer to the last 10-15 minutes. You can also listen on Google Podcast.

They also did a good one with Jack Han on Game 1 and what can be done in Game 2, put up today.

That was good. Thank you

Reactions: pantherbot

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
@KW wheres the list of reasons why we won’t win tonight
Game 7 was the list of reasons why we WILL win tonight! So using that reverse logic again, here’s the list why we will win again
- Matthews >>>>>>>>> Tkachuk
- Marner >>>>>>>> a gnat >>>>> Barkov
- Samsonov bobs apples for breakfast
- We can’t W 5 games in a row
- Toronno fans are always right
- Toronno beat Bolts who beat Cats
- Referees wear blue and white under stripes
- NHL changes review rules based on who it is

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I'm still laughing at this league giving the Leafs two VERY early powerplay before the 5 minute mark to desperately try and give them a goal to get the crowd hyped. Such a blatant and obvious moment for the refs lolol

Reactions: Laus723

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
What I see is how the Panthers make them collapse and then send the puck high and bang it from there or the wing, at that moment, they are waiting for the obvious shot from the top or wing, so they are unable to move, strategistically, is a great setup to score.

yeah. plus, if there's a rebound or an odd deflection (like montour's GTG in G7 vs Bs), you can pounce on it and the D is standing still/slower to respond.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Leaf fans act like they're cheering on a team with the history of the Yankees, they don't even have the history of the Bills. It's ridiculous, you'd think they're the ones with 24 victories when we've been to the Finals since they last have.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Game 7 was the list of reasons why we WILL win tonight! So using that reverse logic again, here’s the list why we will win again
- Matthews >>>>>>>>> Tkachuk
- Marner >>>>>>>> a gnat >>>>> Barkov
- Samsonov bobs apples for breakfast
- We can’t W 5 games in a row
- Toronno fans are always right
- Toronno beat Bolts who beat Cats
- Referees wear blue and white under stripes
- NHL changes review rules based on who it is
Bloody funkin right, LFG!!!

Reactions: PSLguy
Status
Not open for further replies.