ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Said every spring and fall so not exactly a Hayes Hot Take but has to be said

Hey Shanahan ...... GET A GOALIE

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Is the regular season important or not?

People argue it's not important when the Leafs have success but it become critically important when they dont.
Have the leafs ever even won the Atlantic division? I think part of the issue is leaf fans always think they’re right there but many times they finish right where they should

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
Carolina and NYR have easy series. Ridiculous to suggest this one is like those ones.
While the Canes and Rangers are for sure favored in their respective series, I think people have been far too generous projecting Leafs/Bruins to be a close series. I'd be far more surprised to see the underdog come out on top in this one than the other two.

Game one. Far from over.
Anything can happen in theory in the NHL. I do think people are kidding themselves if this being a short series in Boston's favor is remotely surprising.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
10% shooting among Vezina winners is among the best in the league
A few examples (playoffs vs regular season):

Kucherov: 12.2 vs 14.4
McDavid: 16.6 vs 15.2
Crosby: 13.1 vs 14.5
Pastrnak: 11.5 vs 13.9
Stone: 17.7 vs 15.4
Draisaitl: 20.9 vs 18.2
Tavares: 11.7 vs 12.8
MacKinnon: 12.1 vs 10.6
Point: 19.7 vs 18.3

And I could go on...

And I repeat:
Matthews: 10.0 vs 16.2...

There is a very easy conclusion to draw from this...

Reactions: Hogan20

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

And I could go on...

And I repeat:

Playing with wrist injuries that hamper your shot is probably the biggest reason for this. He has been an elite goal scorer in half of the series he's played in.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

And I could go on...

And I repeat:

They face different goalies and teams.

Matthews faced a Vezina winner nearly every year of his career. So far the only non-Vezina winner he faced was in the CBJ series.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Is he the only player to play hurt during the playoffs ?

No, but when he's played hurt it has brought his overall average down. He doesn't just go into the playoffs every year and forget how to score like the poplular narrative insists. He scored 5 goals in 6 games against Tampa, 4 goals in 7 games against Tampa, 5 goals in 7 games against Boston matched up against Bergeron, and 4 goals in 6 games against Washington as a rookie. He's played hurt in 3 of the other 4 series he played.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
In which his shooting % was 7.4...

Matthews is also the youngest player of all the players listed.

He's also one of the rare players who actually made the playoffs since his rookie year so it's included in his stats. He'd be better off not making the playoffs when he was young because his stats would be better. MacKinnon missed the playoffs for 4 of his first 5 years.

It's undeniable Matthews is a better player today than he was as a rookie. However, you used all his stats as a teenager, 20, 21, etc. to bring him down because unlike most of the others he was actually in the playoffs at a young age.

Reactions: DrChar and BTP

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
I go for Bruins. Their media and fans are not nearly as annoying.

Good to be nervous when it's your own team. Honest and humble.
But take it from someone with no dog in this fight. Leafs are done.
And shabs are in Mexico.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Keefe needs to put Marner back with Matthews in game 2. When your best players are struggling to be your best players, sometimes you need to put all your eggs in one basket to create a spark.

But this is Keefe we are talking about here. A Todd McLennan clone who fails to make adjustments.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Matthews is also the youngest player of all the players listed.

He's also one of the rare players who actually made the playoffs since his rookie year so it's included in his stats. He'd be better off not making the playoffs when he was young because his stats would be better. MacKinnon missed the playoffs for 4 of his first 5 years.

It's undeniable Matthews is a better player today than he was as a rookie. However, you used all his stats as a teenager, 20, 21, etc. to bring him down because unlike most of the others he was actually in the playoffs at a young age.
That's not true at all, by far his best two years in terms of playoff shooting percentage were his 1st (25%) and 3rd (15.6%)

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
When did shooting percentage become more important than actual scoring?
I never said it was.. you were arguing that it was unfair to compare matthews playoff shooting percentage to a list of ten other players, because he was the youngest, and his playoff shooting % is skewed because he made the playoffs as a younger player..

i am merely pointing out that your argument holds no water, as his % was best in his 1st and 3rd years..

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I never said it was.. you were arguing that it was unfair to compare matthews playoff shooting percentage to a list of ten other players, because he was the youngest, and his playoff shooting % is skewed because he made the playoffs as a younger player..

i am merely pointing out that your argument holds no water, as his % was best in his 1st and 3rd years..

I don't care about his shooting percentage. That was some Habs fans latest findings that they were researching this playoffs to discredit Matthews.

In terms of total playoff points, Matthews highest production has been the last 2 seasons where he was at or above PPG. However, when you add the stats that Matthews had a teenager and a second year player (when most of the players he was compared to missed the playoffs or weren't even in the NHL) of course his average drops.

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
I don't care about his shooting percentage. That was some Habs fans latest findings that they were researching this playoffs to discredit Matthews.
so then don't reply to a post about shooting percentage arguing it if you have no idea whether what youre saying is actually true or not.. i'm done here.. carry on

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
so then don't reply to a post about shooting percentage arguing it if you have no idea whether what youre saying is actually true or not.. i'm done here.. carry on

I thought it was evident. I didn't know people took shooting percentage so seriously.

Ian Cole had a 100% shooting percentage in last years playoffs. MVP.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It's only suddenly not important when his house of cards arguement crumbles.

I was never the one to bring up shooting percentage.

If you want to make a list of the best NHL players of all time based on shooting percentage, be my guest.

Who's #1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad