Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Once Babcock gets the advantage for line changes it will be nice to get Matthews and Nylander way from that Bruins line.
I’m almost wonder if he could double shift Matthews sometimes, maybe try and get him out with the 4th line for a couple shifts a game and see what happens

I've been thinking the same thing. He got less ice time than Komarov last night correct? I see zero reason not give him another 5 minutes or so on the 4th line. How does a 4th line consisting of Matthews, Kapanen and Johnsson sound?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Nothing suggests that Marleau is better defensively than a Nylander besides the fact that he’s played a lot of games and is a veteran who has compete and drive and all that other bull**** that Babcock spews.
he does it right everyday. eats right. lives right. breathes right. shits right. does it all. of course he can defend :sarcasm:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Reality Check - Babcock and his coaching staff know more about coaching hockey than anyone on here. If he feels putting Komorov with Matthews and Nylander is the right move, he has more than earned the right to do so.

Anyone who thinks they know better, doesn't.

I'm not anti-Babcock and I don't want him fired or anything.

BUT, there is no justifiable reason to have Komarov on the first line.

You don't have to blindly accept everything. People are allowed to question decisions that are, quite frankly, bordering insanity.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
And the tweet makes no sense. If you want to sacrifice Matthews production because he’s being hard matched, shouldn’t Nylander be the one to get off that line so we have more secondary scoring?

Nylander has much, much better results at centre than Marleau this season. Marleau completely disappeared when he played centre this season.
Do you really think Boston would still match Bergeron against Matthews if they took Nylander off the line?

Imagine how dumb Boston would have to be if they said "hmm yep, that Hyman - Matthews - Brown/Komarov line is a real killer...let's shutdown those guys!"

Yeah no. You have to keep Willy up there too make that line look dangerous.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
So many hissy fits it's hilarious- the series has just started.The last time we played the Bruins we lost by the same score and we looked terrible back then,but we won the next game.Going to be a different Leaf team on Saturday.

Reactions: Mugzy97

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Nothing suggests that Marleau is better defensively than a Nylander besides the fact that he’s played a lot of games and is a veteran who has compete and drive and all that other bull**** that Babcock spews.

Marleau is better than Nylander defensively and it isn't even close. Nylander is brutal defensively on a normal night and at center he is unwatchable defensively. I know it's a tough pill to swallow but it's the truth. He's still an amazing talent but I would not have him anywhere near the ice in a defend the lead situation

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I love the Leafs but if we lose Game 2 because of Babcock’s idiotic decisions over the course of this season, I would like nothing more than seeing them get swept in 4 so Babcock finally gets criticized in the media and is under a little pressure to make changes.

Media in Toronto think Babcock is a god for making this team good again. They are good mainly because of the talent on this team, not because of the coach yelling buzzwords from behind the bench.

That loss in Game 7 is a big reason why we were able to rebuild instead of trying to make the playoffs every year. We may have to lose to Boston again to become a team that makes smarter decisions.

I’ll gladly take losing to Boston if it meant the Leafs and Babcock are under a little more pressure to make the right decisions.

Babcock has been criticised all year what are you talking about?
i mean all i listen to is Leafs lunch and Overdrive and I read a few articles on the athletic - but they have questioned stuff Babcock has said and done all season. And Lou for not getting a defenseman, (like he should have).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don’t even know if Komarov is playing the same sport as the Bergeron line. Plekanec’s line was largely clueless last night. Made me feel for Kapanen.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was just gamesmanship by Marchand. "Oh man I scored but I'm still just so angry grr you're so antagonistic Leo!" And now Babcock is duped into thinking that he's a good match up for Marchand

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
By the mainstream media? No one has criticized Babcock.

i've edited my post.
but like i said.
to be fair, all i listen to is Leafs Lunch (to which they've questioned numerous times his decisions). Overdrive, they've done the same thing. I've read articles etc questioning his decisions.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Comments like the bolded make me sick. How can you even call yourself a fan?

That doesn’t bother me. A lot of people here hated tanking as well but now seem okay with it because we got Matthews, Nylander, Marner etc.

I don’t care if we lose this series if it results in massive changes going forward.

I want the Leafs win the Cup. With decisions like the one Babcock is making currently, that will be a pipe dream.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

You don't have to blindly accept everything. People are allowed to question decisions that are, quite frankly, bordering insanity.

The justification is that Babs sees him as helping neutralize the matchup in some capacity.

Seems optimistic to me but that's the reasoning.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Even one of the more respected hockey insiders in Bob McKenzie had this to say regarding the Komo & Hyms switcheroo:

"Interesting Hyman is off the top line considering he was most the impactful player in Game 1."

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I've been thinking the same thing. He got less ice time than Komarov last night correct? I see zero reason not give him another 5 minutes or so on the 4th line. How does a 4th line consisting of Matthews, Kapanen and Johnsson sound?

Sounds like at worst a 2nd line. Nylander played more mins than Matthews last night, that may mean Matthews isn’t able to score lay too many mins due to his injury?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

I'm not accepting or declining his decisions. He obviously has his reasons for making them, and the fact he is a successful NHL and International coach, makes him far more qualified to make those decisions than anybody on here.

Last time I looked the Leafs are a deep team, with 3 lines that can score. Labelling the lines 1st, 2nd etc. is ridiculous.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
i've edited my post.
but like i said.
to be fair, all i listen to is Leafs Lunch (to which they've questioned numerous times his decisions). Overdrive, they've done the same thing. I've read articles etc questioning his decisions.
You're right he is criticised in that sense. But we're talking about Post-Game and Pre-Game scrums where he is surrounded by 50-100 mic's and all they ask him are stupid, generic, hand-picked comments by Paul Hendrick :facepalm: - no idea how he's still a part of the team.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
The justification is that Babs sees him as helping neutralize the matchup in some capacity.

Seems optimistic to me but that's the reasoning.

I don't follow that reasoning though.

Bergeron shut down Matthews, so Komarov will reverse shut down Bergeron?

I don't think Matthews was on the ice for a Bergeron goal. So they left play even.

Is Komarov gonna help Matthews score(lol)? Is he gonna make Bergeron's line score negative goals? I just don't get it.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I wonder if the league takes a look into the Marchand kiss thing
Chirping is one thing, but that's taunting.... over the line....punch in the face worthy

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Even one of the more respected hockey insiders in Bob McKenzie had this to say regarding the Komo & Hyms switcheroo:

"Interesting Hyman is off the top line considering he was most the impactful player in Game 1."
Yes, it is an interesting move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad